Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Inquiry for Gigafactory (industrial motor)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems to me it would have made sense to contact Tesla before they developed the Model 3 motor. That's a large batch of motors on the horizon, the architecture of which they likely won't change any time soon. Never too late though....maybe the Model Y?

Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

I hate to break it to you but the internet of things has already been invented. Remote telemetry of power consumption has been around for a long time also. What duty cycle are you using to calculate your savings? What does your power factor curve look like? What is the service factor? what insulation class are your motors rated at? Are your designs compatible with variable frequency drives?

No need to patronize me jelloslug, I know all too well IOT has been invented and remote telemetry has been around as well as have been working in the space for almost ten years.

The duty cycle is 100% (continuous use).

Our designs do not need VFDs (they have a built-in converter for wired or wireless speed and/or torque control).

The insulation class is not settled yet, it can be made to fit specific needs. Currently the Insulation Class we are using is Class H. Class H is good to 200 Degrees C

No need to patronize me jelloslug, I know all too well IOT has been invented and remote telemetry has been around as well as have been working in the space for almost ten years.

The duty cycle is 100% (continuous use).

Our designs do not need VFDs (they have a built-in converter for wired or wireless speed and/or torque control).

The insulation class is not settled yet, it can be made to fit specific needs. Currently the Insulation Class we are using is Class H. Class H is good to 200 Degrees C
Built in converter eh? That's sounding more "magic black boxy" by the minute. Until there are some lab verified test data, I'm still very skeptical. Also, class H is 180°C, not 200°C.

Yes, we have a number of patents on it. A US Patent issued in 2014. The Intellectual Property compendium is owned by the founders and a WIPO PCT application is ready.

We've conducted R&D under teh aegis of the NRC (National Research Council).

Some of the advantages: Dual motion capability, high starting torque, completely independent phases, native, level fault tolerance, fault-recovery, and self-healing capabilities, fluid and future-proof operation control logic, field-programmable core logic via firmware updates, automation, real-time monitoring and remote control, via built-in IOT, Bluetooth, Wi-fi, Ethernet and Lora Alliance. No VFDD, for advanced speed control due to built-i smart power converter (SPC). No permanent magnets required (cost advantage). No dependence on strategic or scarcity-ridden materials (such as rare-Earth magnets). Not exposed to aging effects. Decoupled open-loop torque and speed settings.

Yes, prototypes are built. Again, I'm not claiming to be the only one and encouraged that people (smart ones even!) are thinking about it.

That's quite the bowl of lingo soup. :)

Of course I don't know what you've done, but some of these terms don't quite seem applicable to an electric motor - but more the motor controller. And what the heck does "self healing" even mean in context of a motor? Unless you've come up with a bearing that replaces itself? Dual motion? It goes forward and reverse?

Last edited:
Reactions: gavine
That's quite the bowl of lingo soup. :)

Of course I don't know what you've done, but some of these terms don't quite seem applicable to an electric motor - but more the motor controller. And what the heck does "self healing" even mean in context of a motor? Unless you've come up with a bearing that replaces itself? Dual motion? It goes forward and reverse?
You will notice that he keeps talking about how much some specific motor costs and how much money it will consume over its life but never mention how much the new motor costs and how much it will cost to do the same work over the same period.

You will notice that he keeps talking about how much some specific motor costs and how much money it will consume over its life but never mention how much the new motor costs and how much it will cost to do the same work over the same period.

Yeah... there are a lot of things that make no sense here. I'm half thinking that it's somebody doing a social experiment... posting something nonsensical, and then watching to see how many pages we generate in response.

• Informative
Reactions: jelloslug