Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Venting about X Order - Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would appreciate people's thoughts here. I ordered an MX LR in early January. Then Musk hinted at upcoming changes on the earnings call, so I asked my SA to delay to see if anything materialized. Sure enough in February Tesla released the LR+. I immediately advised my SA to full speed ahead on an LR+ and my order build and all that was changed from LR to LR+. Within days, I saw an LR+ in my exact configuration at a location 100 miles away. I asked the SA how long until mine would be ready because if it was going to be a while, I would drive the 100 miles to get the existing-inventory one. The SA advised me that the one in existing inventory showed a few miles creeping every few days, which indicated to him that it was being driven and sat in by other people. The total miles was still under 50. The SA advised that I should wait it out because likely my new LR+ would be built before the end of March and that it was worth the wait for a new custom-built X (especially with all the COVID-19 stuff going on, we don't want random people in our "new" car). That made perfect sense to me so we said OK, we'll wait for new one. Today (about 2 weeks later) I finally got a VIN assigned in my source code, and... yep, you guessed it. It is the VIN of the existing-inventory one that we passed on weeks earlier. I emailed the SA asking confirmation is this the car that I'm getting, i.e., the one he said to pass on. Thoughts? Should I be pissed? Concerned?

The virus has affected my family and community greatly. Glad I could give you a good laugh.

And you aren’t exclusive in this, but people are becoming far worse of a problem than the virus and seem to have lost all perspective on the matter.

However, the chances of you contracting COVID-19 from a Tesla that has had someone in it are astronomically low, you world have a better chance of winning the lottery 3 times in a row. So basing your decision on this is silly to me.

Last edited:
Hey @shenger I'm local and understand how much it has affected us around here. With that said, If that is the car that has the exact specs you want and has less than 50 miles on it, I don't think I would be concerned with any viral issues with the vehicle. I know my wife would likely want to wipe any of the common surfaces (handles, steering wheel, etc) down with some clorox wipes just in case.. but she does that with anything including her new Model 3 and my slightly used Model X when we picked it up in January.

I'd be bummed about losing the 2 weeks for sure but not bummed enough to miss the chance at my brand new Model X. Only you can make the decision obviously, but I'm a bit impatient and less than 50 miles is nothing. That thing is brand new. If you decide to wait, understand it may be longer as we don't know the impact of things on the Fremont plant yet. It could delay production a little while.

Good luck and congrats!

Reactions: msm859 and shenger
I wouldn’t take delivery. This is more than likely a car that was returned under the 7 days or someone already refused delivery.

I took delivery with 6mi on the dash and had a flatbed at Tesla to take it to the shop to get PPF, and ceramic coating on the seats and carpet. I made sure to take no chances. You shouldn’t compromise since you paid full for custom build.

I wouldn’t take delivery. This is more than likely a car that was returned under the 7 days or someone already refused delivery.

I took delivery with 6mi on the dash and had a flatbed at Tesla to take it to the shop to get PPF, and ceramic coating on the seats and carpet. I made sure to take no chances. You shouldn’t compromise since you paid full for custom build.

This is where I’m leaning. I’ll find out more about the mileage and build date etc when my SA responds.

Not buying a car because someone may have rubbed COVID-19 on it Is hilarious. Thanks for making my morning!

I think it's pretty sad actually. How does OP know if the detailer or sales person isn't carrying the virus.

But I would not want a "Demo" if I paid new.

Could be test drives after fixing something minor, who knows.

For the record mine was factory built a week before delivery.

We should not get to crazy on COVID-19 or society is gonna melt down.

You flat bedded your car to the PPF shop. OMG.

You mean you didn't have it put in a closed car carrier?

I took delivery today! Most of the Bay Area goes on lockdown tonight at midnight. Tesla called and said to get in ASAP because city of Fremont likely shutting down soon. For those following my original thread, SA pretty much told me he screwed up and gave me wrong info about the car being in a showroom and driven around. He didn’t even really check when I inquired weeks ago. The car had only 7 miles on it and was perfect as far as my eyes could tell (I used the checklists from this forum—super helpful). Shout out to Tesla for making it happen today. They were being flooded with calls and walk ins as we were leaving due to others trying to get their cars before the town shuts down. Social distancing was in full effect. Quite the spectacle. Hats off to them. Stay safe/healthy everyone!

I took delivery today! Most of the Bay Area goes on lockdown tonight at midnight. Tesla called and said to get in ASAP because city of Fremont likely shutting down soon. For those following my original thread, SA pretty much told me he screwed up and gave me wrong info about the car being in a showroom and driven around. He didn’t even really check when I inquired weeks ago. The car had only 7 miles on it and was perfect as far as my eyes could tell (I used the checklists from this forum—super helpful). Shout out to Tesla for making it happen today. They were being flooded with calls and walk ins as we were leaving due to others trying to get their cars before the town shuts down. Social distancing was in full effect. Quite the spectacle. Hats off to them. Stay safe/healthy everyone!
Excellent news in COVID times. You will enjoy every moment from now on. Congratulations.