Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went out yesterday to put the new version of auto steer to the ultimate test. Namely the Sea-to-Sky highway at a rather high speed.

For those who don't know the Sea-to-Sky highway is a stretch of road that takes you from Vancouver to Whistler. Especially the stretch between Horseshoe Bay and Squamish is very pretty but extremely curvy. I have done this trench previously with older versions of auto steer but I found it too dangerous. I only used cruise control in stead. I did it yesterday, ending at the supercharger in Squamish.

I wish I could make a movie of of findings but I don't have these fancy stand alone cameras. So here is just written account.
Overall I was impressed but on this piece of road it was not without flaws.

The road is alternating between a divided four lane road and an undivided road. I found out that — as soon as the road changed from a divided road to an undivided road the "speed is restricted to 70 km/h in auto steer" sign came on. This even when the speed limit was higher. When the road entered into a divided part again the car resumed to its original speed without the restriction sign. I have not seen that in previous versions before.

The reducing of speed for a sharp curve is not yet very well sorted out. It starts to reduce speed when already taking the curve in stead of slightly before. This makes the drive a little nauseous. So the GPS integrations could be better.

Sometimes it came a little to close to the divider for my comfort and I had to take over.

On some stretches when there were a high number of curves following each other the "hold steering wheel" came on almost immediately as if the computer was overloaded.

Other than the above it handled the stretch extremely well. I was impresses and I really put it to the test as the drive was quite fast for this road (I set the cruise control at 110km/h or 115 km/h which is 68m/h to 72 m/h). If I really kept to the speed limit (most of the times 90 km/h which is 55 m/h) I think the above negatives would not have happened. I might try that one of these days.

Hi all,

I just noticed something new - not sure if this changed in an earlier release or not, but it's unique to the Model X.

We have a cargo carrier on the tow hitch right now. The last time we did this was on Thanksgiving.

When we come to a stop, we get an alert that parking assist is not available. This is expected and has been there from the start.
20171122_123631.jpg

The new behavior is that it only does this once, and it's much less obtrusive.

Previously, it would ding and beep a lot, and it seems like I remember it obscuring something useful.

The new behavior is much better! Thanks Tesla!

On some stretches when there were a high number of curves following each other the "hold steering wheel" came on almost immediately as if the computer was overloaded.

This message appears as a safety aspect when the system is not 100% confident and so it wants you to be extra careful. I have seen the same thing when it sees a construction barrel.

I had a chance to drive on the interstate for 500 miles yesterday. The new build is so much better than all the ones in the past. I basically held it at 75mph the whole trip with very minimal interruption. I had my spacing at 1 the whole time. It made it up I-80 on the Sierra Nevada at 70mph too, it couldn't do it before. I think there were really only couple of issues. I recall going up the Altamount Pass, the lanes are not very visible and curves are pretty sharp, the car did jump over the lane a few times, but nowhere as bad as before. On concrete overpasses where the lines can be bad, you can see the car do a quick jerk left and right as it is unsure about what to do. Lastly, sunset is still a problem for AP. Car did have a few jerky moments when we were driving into the sunset.

The new lane change is weird too. Most of the time if you leave your blinkers on when soemone is ahead or next to you, it would wait until they clear before it would change lane. Of course sometimes it just won't do anything and they won't tell you.

Can someone check out AP 10.4 on the Dallas Tollway between GWB and Mockingbird lane at no more than 65mph?

That stretch has plenty of curves *and" undulations at the same time. That is, at the end of the crest the road curves, so want to see if AP simply maintains a straight path or anticipates the curves. .

When I'm on 17, even when autosteer is on, I hold the wheel with an iron death grip. (And it still periodically tells me to put my hands on the wheel. I don't know what's up with that.)
I think you mis-understand how this works. It is not how hard you hold the wheel. It is the resistance you use against the auto steer. This is really just a light touch slightly turning the wheel against the auto steer. I just use a light touch on the either side (or both) of the steering wheel turning just a little left or right to keep the message away or to remove it when it comes up.

Vehicle now ping-ponging a lot on motorways - it was always rock solid previously and I never understood people who complained about that or compared WP2 adversely to AP1. I thought wow, AP1 must be amazing! But this is so bad I had to disengage a few times, and this is motorways, pretty straight easy stuff.
Actually, I have two comments that you might appreciate here:
1) I rented an AP1 MX for a road trip before purchasing my AP2.5 MX, and I did not use auto-steer much at all in the loaner because it made me nauseous (more of a sway than a ping ponging, but definitely not impressive). Given that, I felt that my AP2.5 MX was actually better when I got it in September with 2017.36 on it (except I would like to see the vehicles in other lanes all the time).
2) My AP2.5 MX actually started ping ponging more after the 2018.10.4 update, but only when there is an unmarked acceleration/deceleration lane (like on/off ramps, only on surface roads). It isn't really a ping ponging, but it centers between the two lines instead of staying in the actual lane. Interestingly, the AP1 MX would do that as well where I did try it out. However, aside from that (I'm going to call it a) regression, I've definitely seen a lot of improvement in auto-steer with 2018.10.4.

However, yesterday I was in a town on a road with 45 mph limit following a car and I noticed when I engaged it was capping me at 80 mph, I got excited and cranked it up to 85 which it also allowed. It behaves this same way later in the drive about 30 miles away in another town. Is this a new glitch? I got really excited, my daughter was cracking up.
Is it possible your GPS location was locked up? My GPS location locks up sporadically, and on a recent previous version, auto-steer wouldn't work when it was locked up (on less recent versions, auto-steer did work), but this morning, auto-steer did work for me while it was locked up (again). Since it didn't have a GPS location, there was no speed limit sign in the dash. Maybe if it doesn't think it knows the speed limit, it doesn't put that limit in place.

I went out yesterday to put the new version of auto steer to the ultimate test. Namely the Sea-to-Sky highway at a rather high speed.

For those who don't know the Sea-to-Sky highway is a stretch of road that takes you from Vancouver to Whistler. Especially the stretch between Horseshoe Bay and Squamish is very pretty but extremely curvy. I have done this trench previously with older versions of auto steer but I found it too dangerous. I only used cruise control in stead. I did it yesterday, ending at the supercharger in Squamish.

I wish I could make a movie of of findings but I don't have these fancy stand alone cameras. So here is just written account.
Overall I was impressed but on this piece of road it was not without flaws.

The road is alternating between a divided four lane road and an undivided road. I found out that — as soon as the road changed from a divided road to an undivided road the "speed is restricted to 70 km/h in auto steer" sign came on. This even when the speed limit was higher. When the road entered into a divided part again the car resumed to its original speed without the restriction sign. I have not seen that in previous versions before.

The reducing of speed for a sharp curve is not yet very well sorted out. It starts to reduce speed when already taking the curve in stead of slightly before. This makes the drive a little nauseous. So the GPS integrations could be better.

Sometimes it came a little to close to the divider for my comfort and I had to take over.

Other than the above it handled the stretch extremely well. I was impresses and I really put it to the test as the drive was quite fast for this road (I set the cruise control at 110km/h or 115 km/h which is 68m/h to 72 m/h). If I really kept to the speed limit (most of the times 90 km/h which is 55 m/h) I think the above negatives would not have happened. I might try that one of these days.
Thanks for the info. I was very curious how it handles Sea-to-Sky. I am still on 10.2, hoping to get 10.4 soon.

Yeah, it really improved on the 50kph section after the 80kph zone. It gently takes those 3 traffic refuges where the bicycle lane is discontinued and then the oncoming right-curve with the traffic light and the slight ziczac. With 2017.50.3 AP used the car in front to follow (blue car in IC).

But it's not perfect in sections where direction switches fastly. If you look at 6:04 the wheel is coming very close to the curb.

• Informative
Reactions: kevinof