Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 9 on AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For AP1, the animation is the same and not the single center line when changing lanes like the videos that are already out for AP2+. This seems like it's just an UI refresh with Atari games as a consolation prize. Apart from having a more modern look, this update is less usable for a lot of users with some features taken away; namely the screens being able to placed exactly where you want them.

The backup camera screen does appear to slightly move if you try to drag it but snaps back immediately.

Reactions: kavyboy
I saw some questions about Sharing to the App but has the be set up first.

I'm not a fan of the camera on the bottom..

Attachments

• IMG_3304.PNG
    IMG_3304.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 231
  • IMG_3307.PNG
    IMG_3307.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_3308.PNG
    IMG_3308.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 214
  • Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
Installed yesterday on 2015 85D AP1. All seems to work well. My AP1 hardware issues were taken care of a months ago at the service center, and this update hasn't done anything weird to it.

Valet mode works on mine (someone said it was gone).

I am curious to see how well the HOV lane option works for navigation.
I think I like the new map traffic mode. I never liked all the green. I prefer to just have colors where traffic exists. We'll see with more driving if the verdict sticks.

I am not bothered by the UI changes. I need some more time to get a better sense of the music interface.

I got an update but not version 9. Will this update roll out to all Tesla’s?

This or a newer version after they get all the feedback. there are already 6 versions of 2018. 39.

1156d219-dcd3-42b8-8c08-269c2c83e84c.png

Introducing Software Version 9.0—designed for a faster, more intuitive driver experience. Here’s a brief overview of other important updates:
  • 3 new apps: Browser (with Premium Connectivity), Calendar and Energy
  • The center display provides a 360-degree view of surrounding cars, with better blind spot monitoring
  • The Tesla App can now connect with your car to control media, send destinations and start software updates
  • The new application launcher allows you to access all your apps in one place
  • Navigation provides more insight into upcoming turns—including highway exit information
FULL DETAILS
To receive these updates as quickly as possible, make sure your car is connected to WiFi. As a Tesla owner, your driving experience will only get better over time: every Model S, Model X and Model 3 on the road will receive new features and improvements from Software Version 9.0.

Tesla | All Rights Reserved | 3500 Deer Creek Rd. Palo Alto CA 94304
Privacy Policy
open.aspx

collect

All I have seen are model S and X getting it so far; only a handful of model 3's have it so far.

5. Blindspot monitoring is not supported on AP1. (even though early versions had this)
AP1 was sold as having blind spot monitoring as an explicitly listed option, but Tesla realized that Elon was on Ambien or whatever when he decided to sell this feature with nothing but parking sensors to back it. So, enabling the same UI would allow comparisons how bad and unreliable AP1 blind spot monitoring really is, or worse open them for bad press when someone used to AP2 gets into an accident when driving an AP1 car. AP1 blind spot monitoring is at about the same level of functioning as is "AP1 some on anywhere on private property" feature. They both works in very contained situations, for blind spot monitoring it's perfect weather, low speeds, no wind, no curb higher than 5", large solid cars around with walls as perpendicular to the road surface as possible. For summon, it's as long as anywhere means up to 40 feet in a straight line while you hold a dead-man-switch making sure the car doesn't hit anything.

Last edited:
You share a location from your phone and the car will handle routing. So just put a pin on your destination, then you can share to the Tesla app.
I much prefer the Calendar approach. You can have a number of waypoints stacked up. You just have to be a bit careful to make sure you have given yourself enough estimated time between stops.

I posted this in the main v9 thread but wanted to point out that the AP1 auto lane changing feature seems much improved over prior versions. There is noticeably less lag between engaging the turn signal and the car moving into the next lane. I’d say the lag is now equivalent to how long I would wait before I start moving the car over (~1 second) when driving manually. If there is an adjacent car in the next lane when engaging the turn signal, the lag before moving over after the other car has moved away is also less (also about 1 second after the other car has cleared the set follow distance). Overall, the behavior seems much more consistent and predictable, so much so that I was able to use auto lane change to cut in between two closely spaced cars (approx two car lengths between them). The shorter lag allowed me to change lanes quickly right when I thought it was safe. Of course there’s a chance this is all in my head, but I feel like before there was a lot more “so are we gonna move over or not?” going on whenever I initiated an auto lane change on prior versions.

Last edited:
Anybody notice it now takes 2 taps to turn off climate control from the touchscreen? You have to open climate control settings then tap off.

I like how I can lower the media controls to 1/6 of the screen. I wish it would remember it when I return to the car.
The zoom buttons on maps is nice.

Reactions: taldric
I noticed the Lights controls no longer have an image of the car, showing the actual status of the headlights, fog lights, DRLs, etc. Did that move somewhere else?

Here's my use case: when I need to pick someone up and have to wait a few minutes for them to arrive, I want to turn off all the lights while I'm sitting parked in the car. The car image provided useful feedback as to whether I had really turned all the lights off (it can be hard to tell if it's not yet completely dark outside.) It looks like there's still no easy way to accomplish this.

I noticed the Lights controls no longer have an image of the car, showing the actual status of the headlights, fog lights, DRLs, etc. Did that move somewhere else?

Here's my use case: when I need to pick someone up and have to wait a few minutes for them to arrive, I want to turn off all the lights while I'm sitting parked in the car. The car image provided useful feedback as to whether I had really turned all the lights off (it can be hard to tell if it's not yet completely dark outside.) It looks like there's still no easy way to accomplish this.
I have the same use case, almost daily. I’d be interested to hear if they’ve removed that visual feedback...

Reactions: kgroschi

I have the same use case, almost daily. I’d be interested to hear if they’ve removed that visual feedback...

Your ”toy car” in the instrument cluster should display the status of your main lights but it is perhaps not visually as clear.

and last but not least...
BDF8DB0A-417B-4C7D-B340-31BF83EE8EE5.jpeg

When opening the 'Controls' menu, it will always start back at the 'Quick Controls' tab. I hope they update with a memory function like the previous version had, as I preferred to toggle back to where I left off - ie "Suspension" or "Trips".

Auto-Lane change is now incorporated with Autosteer, and more aggressive; still no mad max mode.

Autopilot now displays adjacent lanes.
IMG_7951.jpg

Here is the new 'Media' menu in the app (only appears when the car is on).
IMG_7949.jpgIMG_7950.jpg

PIN to drive needs to be added to the app.

Supposedly you can also do a "long press" (press and hold the climate button, rather than tap it) to turn it off.

confirmed, thanks for that. you can long press for on/off.

Last edited:
The only good thing I found about v9 on my AP1 car is that the LTE indicator is always up, so I don't have to tap the screen to try to figure whether the reason browser is not working is because of poor coverage. Everything else is a downgrade. I have to hit multiple tiny icons located a the bottom of the screen in order make calls now, and when I finally get the phone app on the screen it can only be on the bottom of the screen. So, to get the phone app to show up, need to look at the very bottom of the screen, then have to keep looking down to make a call, taking my eyes off the road completely - Elon's idea of a safety improvement I guess. I can't use the camera on the upper part of the screen either, which at least partially compensates for the completely unreliable blind spot monitoring by providing an additional source of information. Yes, when backing up the camera will show up on the upper part but not if you already had it opened while driving. Not only that, they have the traffic cone icon you can press to display distances but only at low speeds BUT NOT WHILE IN REVERSE! :confused: So, if you have the camera open and shift the car in reverse, you're stuck with just the bottom half of the screen for rear camera. If you want to see the parking sensor distances, you have to put the car in drive or park, close the camera app, then shift in reverse again.

Does anyone at Tesla design their use-cases considering how people will use them, or do they just code based on Elon's latest "ideas" and see what comes out?

Last edited: