Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 9 on AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. I don't like to keep the music app up on the screen since I already have that information in my gauge cluster thus making it redundant. I will say that on my car at least the back up camera is persistent if you have that pulled up unlike the browser running Waze.

Yep, that is my main complaint. I have both the music app and navigation in front of me already on the cluster. Making them the hero apps of the main screen is redundant. At least they should offer the possibility to store layout profiles like many computer applications that are often used with multiple monitors do. But I understand that they are going for simplicity.

• Informative
Reactions: GasKilla
Not much change here either, although I did see something interesting (in a good way) that I am not able to reproduce reliably.

It used to be that if I was on the freeway, at speed with no Autopilot or TACC, and changed lanes, there would be kind of a "settling time" before AP1 figured out where it was in the new lane. During that time, the grey steering-wheel icon disappeared from the IC, so it was impossible to engage auto-steering for a few seconds. The first day I had 2018.39.6 (coming from 2018.32.2) I observed that during and after a manual lane change, the grey steering wheel stayed on the IC as long as the AP camera could see the lane markings, implying that I could engage auto-steering immediately. To me this was new behavior. I wanted to do some more testing with this but haven't had the time or circumstances. I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine what I saw, but I admit I may not be interpreting it correctly. Anyone else see this?

Bruce.
Now that you mention it, yes I have noticed. I have been able to engage autosteer before I have manually completed a lane change.

I definitely agree that this is overall an improvement. I like it quite a bit better. I haven't noticed any changes in autopilot use at all. But, maybe I'm just not very observant! Yes, there are some things that I don't like quite as well, but they're pretty minor considering the nice new look.

Oh, you don't have to leave music up. You can just swipe it down and out of the way entirely. Of course, then you got nothing but a map! I like it but not everybody does.

I definitely agree that this is overall an improvement. I like it quite a bit better. I haven't noticed any changes in autopilot use at all. But, maybe I'm just not very observant! Yes, there are some things that I don't like quite as well, but they're pretty minor considering the nice new look.

Oh, you don't have to leave music up. You can just swipe it down and out of the way entirely. Of course, then you got nothing but a map! I like it but not everybody does.

True, but the problem is that you have to do that EVERY time that you restart the car since if you minimize the music app it just comes right back up with a restart. The least they could do would be to make the last setting persistent so that I don't have to minimize the music every single time I get into the car.

I like not having the top disappearing tool bar which requires a tap before any action. Overall it’s easier to read, simpler, but has the same functionality (except Asteroids).

To upgrade to a fixed upper tool bar, you would need Version 7, or version 8's newer multi-tap method, to swap the NAV map to the bottom, which would then restore the fixed upper tool bar.

Not sure where you see the same functionality in V9, though? Can you go full screen to select media without having to scroll as much, or put the browser up top so it is a shorter treck for you eyes back to the road, or go full screen on the qtes.la home page to get as close as possible to shutting the screen off, at night? That page was always more black than anything Tesla rendered.

We have one AP1 Version 9 car and one AP1 Version 8. If people like change, for the sake of change, I think that's fine. We both don't like Version 9. Honestly, I don't find full-time top map and defaulting media on bottom intuitive. Version 8 lets you go full with the map, yet tucks completely away when you know where you are going. I like that. It seemed more functional, before it wasn't.

Last edited:
Same here - I don't think I have the updated nav, though, which I assume is why. Did you ever get the new nav (I did get maps, just not nav)? Wondering if we're in the same state of limbo (V9, but old nav).

Ya I think we have the same problem. That's so annoying tbh. I thought with the V9 update I'll definitely finally get the new nav. I mean that's been out since forever! How can we fix this? Call Tesla?

Most people resist change, fear it. It's human nature to complain when things change.
Some people here are upset about specific changes that force them to think "different".

However, if you look at the changes as a whole, there is a lot of improvement in UI and function. I like it.

Also, it's futile to try to resist. You could try to refuse updates forever but you will cut yourself off from significant improvement. My 4 year old car just keeps getting better . I embrace change.
Changing doesn't mean it keeps getting better. Let's see how this "we know better, you don't need to look at reverse camera while driving" type of attitude works for Tesla when they have real competition. Personally, I really hope i like the Taycan when it comes out. Would love to have all the features on day one, have a well thought out user experience, some physical buttons so I don't have to click a touch screen which takes seconds to manually turn on headlights for example, and not worry about changes in software causing accident (happened to my wife when after almost a year of ownership, Tesla decided to auto-unfold mirror when the car is moving - so they unfolded in a spot where they always stayed folded before and snap, $600 mirror replacement - oh, they did fix in the next release by only auto-unfolding above some speed, but too late for us).

V9 reminds me of Microsoft removing the start button from WIndows 8 because they knew better. There were folks like @mspohr who embraced it too.

Last edited:
Please write to Tesla if you are unhappy with the changes and removal of features. It will not change if they do not hear from us. Staying on 8.X.
They don't care. As someone pointed out, they have a large turnover with employees and the new blood has no experience in car UI design, but they know how to make a modern looking skin though and how to embed an atari emulator. I think they got a bunch of web contractors doing this. The reason for v9 could have been because all v8 developers left, so easier to develop a new UI than maintain one where developers were not permitted any time to document.

The more I use v9 the more I dislike it. I get that some people don't like change, but usually when the change is good you get used to it and learn to appreciate it. With v9 it's the opposite, started with "ok, suck some functionality is gone" and progressed into "what were they thinking?" as I used it more and tried doing things like control the HVAC or make a freaking phone call using Tesla UI. What's next, the new refreshed S will require a stylus to hit tiny buttons and everything will be hidden under 10 layers of menus, but hey, it will be beautifully organized in a hierarchy by some software contractor who never drove a Tesla. To turn on light, hit "controls" -> "electrical devices" -> "external" -> "front" -> "left headlight", then repeat for right headlight.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David29 and kavyboy
I agree that it is unlikely that they will change the path they have been on for years. Each update removes more functionality from the UI and limits how we can use our cars. I stayed on firmware 7.1 on both of my previous MSs until they were sold. That said, I at least feel better knowing that I expressed my concerns/displeasure with Tesla in writing. As for the rest, we voted with our cash and passed on the model 3 and opted for a used i3 for our local driving. The total cost of the i3 was less than the first year depreciation on a model 3.

Reactions: f-stop and kavyboy
Not sure where you see the same functionality in V9, though?
We mean different things when we refer to functionality. I mean the things the car does (turn on lights, move mirrors, etc), not interface features. In S & X, v9 is a skin but it adds new functionality to 3. There are significant changes to the style and utility of the interface and on that we mostly agree. There is supposed to be a "fade" mode coming which may almost replace the utility gained by making qtes.la full screen.

Dear Tesla,
I have such an easy solution for you. Allow us some ability to customize. Such an easy thing to program. OK, some of us love the update, many do not. For most of those who do not, it's primarily because we have lost something that we previously liked. Someone else (ie, programmer) has decided what we should like. "Someone" decided that I want the music app every time I get in the car. I do not. "Someone" decided that I do not want to see the green traffic. I do. It adds much needed color to an otherwise drab map, plus the green line makes much easier to see if that super dark red line is 5-South or 5-North -- usually it's in whatever direction I'm traveling. But give us the option to choose what we want to see. Very easy to customize our "homescreen"; very easy to say we want to see green traffic or not. This is the exact reason that I root every android phone that I get, and the exact reason I prefer Linux over Windows and iOS -- it allows me to customize, and not be stuck with what Google, Microsoft, or Apple thinks is important to me. Yes, there are shortcuts to get my browser back up, but why should I have to do that in the first place? This is not about me (us) resisting change. I guarantee that in a year, I am still not going to want the music to pop up on my screen. Just give us a little ability to customize, and 95% of us will be happy.

Give me Freedom. Freedom to choose. Freedom to be who I want to be
Getting off soapbox in 3.....2......1...
Drop the mic!

Reactions: David29