Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very loud fan noise from frunk area with AC on...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like happening with all of them. I can hear my X reconditioning on mildly warm (upper 70s) days in my work parking lot. The fan kicks in high gear ..it's like the jet is getting ready to take off.

The SC looked at it and they believe it's normal. I didn't agree with them. My MS doesn't do this. But then MX has dual AC too.

I really want to hear if someone was able to get SC to fix this.

1. Start with the temperature setting high (26 - 30 C depending upon the outside temperature). The air will still feel cool compared to the starting cabin temperature. Then reduce the temperature as the cabin cools.

2. Try turning the A/C off for a second or two and then back on. I don't know if it's true for the X, but the S quiets right down when you do this.

• Informative
Reactions: xkwizit
My Model X is doing that also. Yesterday it was so loud a neighbor commented on it. He was mowing his lawn and heard it over the lawn mower. He came over to ask me if something was wrong with the car. I had the AC on "auto" but it was only about 75 degrees.

My Model X is doing that also. Yesterday it was so loud a neighbor commented on it. He was mowing his lawn and heard it over the lawn mower. He came over to ask me if something was wrong with the car. I had the AC on "auto" but it was only about 75 degrees.
Anyone who is having this should ask their SC to investigate. This is not normal. And if there are sufficient number of official reports feeding up the service chain of command, someone at the factory may actually look into this.

IDK, I saw a firetruck (with the siren on) and a Model X passing by as soon as the Model X entered the vicinity of the firetruck, the crew on the firetruck put their hands on their ears.

I picked up my X at the end of April. I did not notice this fan noise right away... maybe it was not there initially, but now I hear it. I was eating lunch one day and heard my wife park in the garage. I hear her through a closed door leading to the garage and eating 20+ feet away from that door. I spoke to my local SC about it and he said he will add it to the list of items they will look at when I bring my car in. He said that the noise is normal and other cars cover up the noise with the engine idling noise, but I said this is a lot of noise. It's as loud as my Toyota idling. Friends of mine have an S that is a few months old and they say their car is very quiet. I'd also like to hear if anyone had their SC fix the problem.

I picked up my X at the end of April. I did not notice this fan noise right away... maybe it was not there initially, but now I hear it. I was eating lunch one day and heard my wife park in the garage. I hear her through a closed door leading to the garage and eating 20+ feet away from that door. I spoke to my local SC about it and he said he will add it to the list of items they will look at when I bring my car in. He said that the noise is normal and other cars cover up the noise with the engine idling noise, but I said this is a lot of noise. It's as loud as my Toyota idling. Friends of mine have an S that is a few months old and they say their car is very quiet. I'd also like to hear if anyone had their SC fix the problem.
I also reported to my SC and they too said it is normal. Though I don't agree since I can hear my car across the parking lot. It could be that since MX has dual AC, the compressor works harder and the AC mechanism has more heat to exchange. But still I don't see why the cooling fan would kick in so high when it's not even summer yet.

I also reported to my SC and they too said it is normal. Though I don't agree since I can hear my car across the parking lot. It could be that since MX has dual AC, the compressor works harder and the AC mechanism has more heat to exchange. But still I don't see why the cooling fan would kick in so high when it's not even summer yet.
FWIW, you can hear the A/C in the Prius from across the parking lot as well.

Got to experience this today a few times. Once at 8:30am after dropping the kids at school, while it was still relatively cool outside. Again at the grocery store when I pre-cooled from the checkout counter, and walked out the door to hear my car all the way across the lot. Then again after my son's little league practice. I turned it on remotely from the baseball field and despite being parked up a hill and across the field, could hear the compressor fan wheezing. It's almost comically loud.

If this is normal, we need to come up with a name for it, so that we have something to tell bystanders when they ask. "Oh, that's the cazonkler. Common in electric cars, but Tesla's Model X has a Super Cazonkler. We call it a SC for short, but that's also Supercharger and Service Center. By the way, did you see these FWDs? No, not the front wheels..."

I have this too. The car was charging in the garage for an hour or so a few days back. Then I went to get something from the car and when I did that, the AC came on and I guess since it was charging also, all fans were running simultaneously and it was very very loud. I never noticed it before then. But I've only had the car 3+ wks. I upgraded to 2.17.95 last week. the S had simpar compressor sound, and it was loud, but never this loud. And the eventual service bulletins/fix for it that came out made the sound much lower.

I also have developed a different rattling or 'cards on bicycle spokes' type of sound from the AC that sounds like it just behind the center screen. It only sounds when the AC is running and The car is not in motion. Once I start driving, it goes away, until the next time I stop.