Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration in Yolk at 70+ mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a brand new 2022 Model X LR with 22" wheels. I noticed today that when driving on the highway I feel some vibration in the yolk at around 70+ mph.

Would this be a tire balance issue or a wheel alignment issue? Which one should I try doing first?

Any chance that Tesla will cover something like this since the car is new? If not do I need to take it to a Tesla certified shop for either alignment or tire balancing or is it pretty standard just like any other car?

Can a normal tire shop work on Teslas just fine? Would you recommend Tesla service or a reputable tire shop?

Never take your car to a Tesla SC unless you have too!

I go to Discount Tire for rotations (no charge) and balancing, and to Pep Boys for alignments. You are better off taking your car to a shop that works on tires and suspensions day-in and day-out. You should call first as not every shop will work on a Tesla, which is mostly out of ignorance.

Reactions: CuriousM3
Agree with ruling out wheel imbalance first, but there is an apparent issue with the refresh Model S having a subtle vibration under gentle acceleration at moderate to higher speed (see: POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR).
I definitely have noticed this in my Plaid X, so it might be more drivetrain or software related, rather than model specific (just like the brief period of harshness in the S & X Plaids during the early part of a drive, which still seems unexplained).
I would describe this vibration as a bit of "roughness" in the pedal and yoke that you feel with light accelerator input that could easily be attributed to the road surface, but which disappears the instant you let off the throttle. It is subtle, but noticeable once you've felt it. And likely to be more noticeable at higher speeds on the highway. Totally different from the halfshaft shudder that has plaqued prior X's under heavy acceleration. And seemingly not a wheel balance issue considering it comes and goes with small changes in throttle position.

Agree with ruling out wheel imbalance first, but there is an apparent issue with the refresh Model S having a subtle vibration under gentle acceleration at moderate to higher speed (see: POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR).
I definitely have noticed this in my Plaid X, so it might be more drivetrain or software related, rather than model specific (just like the brief period of harshness in the S & X Plaids during the early part of a drive, which still seems unexplained).
I would describe this vibration as a bit of "roughness" in the pedal and yoke that you feel with light accelerator input that could easily be attributed to the road surface, but which disappears the instant you let off the throttle. It is subtle, but noticeable once you've felt it. And likely to be more noticeable at higher speeds on the highway. Totally different from the halfshaft shudder that has plaqued prior X's under heavy acceleration. And seemingly not a wheel balance issue considering it comes and goes with small changes in throttle position.
Good to know. What I’m describing is not under acceleration. Just going constant speed at 75 and I feel it. I’ll get the wheels balanced.

I’m having the same problem on my 22 MXP. At the SC now for some other issues but the last visit, the tech drove the car with me and verified the vibration (pedal, yoke, can feel in in my seat) when driving on a smooth section of the freeway between 70-90 mph. Car has been aligned twice now and I’m pretty sure it is not a tire/wheel balance issue. Will post an update once I get the car back. I’m not confident Tesla knows how to fix it.

Same problem with my 2021 plaid S. Paid to have wheels road force balanced at a local tire shop, but this didn't help. The car vibrates at 70-90mph. It feels worse some drives than others. The yoke literally feels like a phone on vibrate, on very bad drives. It shakes the driver side mirror more than if I was blasting music at max volume.

Whatever is happening, I suspect the issue to be around the front driver side. Not sure if it's by design and due to asymmetric halfshaft geometry, or some other issue.

Hoping someone can get to the bottom of this!

Can a normal tire shop work on Teslas just fine? Would you recommend Tesla service or a reputable tire shop?
I just had a rear tire failure while driving on the freeway in my 2017 MX 100D. This was the first flat tire I have ever had. Tesla tire repair kit failed so I had to have the car put on a flat bed and driven to the only tire store that had the required replacement, Discount Tire Center. (After being lied to by several other tire stores who claimed "tire was on national back order." Claimed they could get the tire but charging 3x what Discount Tire Center charged.) I purchased full balancing and alignment with 3-year warranty and watched the guy while he started the alignment attempt. After over 1.5 hours and the guy unable to get the bottom cladding off of the MX that he said was required to complete the alignment, I canceled the service request and got the fee taken off. The guy admitted that they never worked on a MX before, only M3 & MY so they had no idea how to complete an alignment and they did not have the tools needed to work on the MX. To me they should have admitted this before offering the service. Thank goodness I stayed to watch the procedure. I could not imagine the horrors if I had left. Now I have a Service Center appointmnet for 10/5 to complete the alignment. I disagree with comments about "never take your Tesla to a SC." Six years with 2 Teslas I have always had perfect service and 0 problems. The answer depends on your trust of your Tesla Service Center over the trust of a 3rd party.

I realize this is for MX but I have a we Model S LR and I have a consistent vibration at 75 and above. It goes throughout the vehicle. Two different SC could not replicate as they claim they cannot drive vehicle above speed limit. Then how can they address the problem??? My first and last Tesla.

Never take your car to a Tesla SC unless you have too!

I go to Discount Tire for rotations (no charge) and balancing, and to Pep Boys for alignments. You are better off taking your car to a shop that works on tires and suspensions day-in and day-out. You should call first as not every shop will work on a Tesla, which is mostly out of ignorance.
I agree with that description. Subtle and disappears as you let off the throttle. I would suspect drive train issues

I had my refreshed X alignment and wheel balance done by Tesla to address the vibration, neither helped. I have no proof that they actually did a wheel balance, as far as the alignment they gave me a print out. The alignment was pretty off and the car was pulling left, but after alignment its much better, however the yoke vibration is still there even after wheel balance.

My ‘22 Long Range X with 22” wheels required alignment off the lot. I felt vibration and the car would not track straight. After alignment things are better but the 22” wheels are pretty rough riding and on certain roads i definitely feel significant vibration. I also find that the yoke makes vibration more noticeable than a typical steering wheel since it is flat on top. Not sure i have what you describe but thought i would at least share some similarities.