Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video of My Model 3 Getting Broken into. Glass options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you watch the video shared above? The glass doesn't break anywhere near as easy. The little glass breaker tools they use won't do much to the window. Will it stop a determined thief? Of course not, but it does slow them down and make it more obvious to bystanders what they are doing.

I don't know if those guys are as strong as the typical thieves, but I have seen other videos on YT on how it's just as easy to break. Even non-laminated glass takes some effort to break.

I wonder why Tesla didn’t think about placing the usb stick in the glove from the start. My concern will be, sooner or later thieves are going to know about the car recording and most will just take the usb stick with it.

Wouldn’t it be better if it was just recorded and saved through a cloud? Even if Tesla charged some money per month, I’d rather have that then have the usb stick stolen as well.

Reactions: OttoR and Watts_Up
When I saw the broken window and all my stuff in the armrest area rummaged through, I thought for sure the guy would have taken the memory stick. But because I had so much crap in there, maybe he didn't take the time to look for it. Next time I'm going to put a mouse trap next to it.

With the laminated glass, it will be harder for guys to make a hole big enough to get all the way in and grab it.

I wonder why Tesla didn’t think about placing the usb stick in the glove from the start. My concern will be, sooner or later thieves are going to know about the car recording and most will just take the usb stick with it.

Wouldn’t it be better if it was just recorded and saved through a cloud? Even if Tesla charged some money per month, I’d rather have that then have the usb stick stolen as well.

"TeslaCam" was an afterthought, specifically bolted onto the tesla software because this exact crime was happening a lot in San Francisco. Thats one reason it takes so much energy, keeps the car awake, and the USB ports for the older teslas were not in a location that could be locked.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and blckdmp
before the focus starts getting to be too much on the break in, the OPs question was around any suggestions around getting the glass repaired. I say this, to head off the inevitable discussion around what gets prosecuted where, in what state, by which department, etc.

(moderator note: if anyone is wondering where some posts in this thread went, I refer back to my original post in this thread. Posts made before I made that post were left. Posts made after that related to what I was talking about above were moved. Feel free to have that discussion in the off topic session if you want, though : Off Topic )

Last edited:
Reactions: Toysla

I just use a Sandisk Ultrafit USB, since it's so flush, and it's quite dark in the cubby, it's hard to see and feel for. Believe me, I've had a hard time taking it out and putting it back in.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I am not able to delete my off-subject reply. Moderator: you may remove my reply as necessary. Thank you

I already moved the appropriate posts, so everything left is either before my note, or fine. If there are specific posts of yours you want me to delete, though, you can report them and I will do it then. Note, the other posts were not deleted either, I moved them to another thread but didnt delete them.

Reactions: Toysla
Car Buggler .jpg
I noticed some people leaving their car parked isolated on a road side, may be to go hiking or biking.
This is not a good idea, try to find instead a real parking, close to a town or other houses.

This seems to occur quite often, the passenger exit from a car to break a car window
or even to steal a phone of some pedestrian walking with their face glue to their phone.

Last edited:
Anyone else think it's odd that there's a perfect shot of the license plate, but no word if they have been caught?

No, thats not strange considering this was posted yesterday, and in san francisco its unlikely the authorities would pursue this too far. So, no not hearing about whether the person was caught or not in less than 24 hours in a place that wont likely look for them is not strange.

We are barely 12 hours from when the original post was made.