Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: Standard 9V Battery vs Model 3 Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. Greg has done all the detailing work on my Model S. In fact, the Model 3 was supposed to be wrapped there when my 12V went dead the first time last month.

Yeah Greg has done all my cars as well including my Teslas. Was wondering if you were the guy he mentioned to me with the Model 3 that could not come in a while back. Glad everything seems sorted for now, have a M3 reserved myself as well, just waiting for D model.

Yup. Greg has done all the detailing work on my Model S. In fact, the Model 3 was supposed to be wrapped there when my 12V went dead the first time last month.

Well we got our Model 3 in September 2018, ended up with a P. Have had the 12V battery fail 3 times now since we have had the car. Not complete failure, just warning on dash and had to have the battery replaced 3 times now.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
I have never had a 12V battery issue.

1) It seems like there has been a lot of dead 12V battery times; why?
2) Doesn't the 12V battery charge while driving?
3) Does the 12V also charge when car is connected to power?

1) on S/X (especially early on) the battery was cycled a lot, wearing it out
2) yes
3) yes, but in a cycled manner when the pack is not actively charging

On the 3, if people connect dash cams or other devices directly to the battery, the car with sense this as a battery fault (excessive drain) and alert user/ SC for replacement.

Yes, I'm aware this behavior is not consistent with the manual. I reported it to Tesla engineering immediately and they responded. This behavior worked immediately after the latest firmware and a service visit (which was documented in another thread where my 12V battery lost power).

How is it now in late 2019. Does the manual describe the observed behavior now or is it still wrong?