Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: Vandalism by Motorcylist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was foolishly testing NoA today to prove a point in a thread here.

The NoA would have nailed a motorcyclist who was merging if I let the NoA do the driving. The motorcyclist did nothing wrong, but my car sure wanted to be an azzhole.

There is another bad behavior that NoA cars do. They can start a pointless lane change then cancel it. It can make it look like the driver is ragin' or drunk.

Tesla AP/FSD software is not MC friendly.

Yeah, my favorite aka not my favorite NOA thing is when I am on the freeway in the far right slow lane and I come up on a merge lane to my right. The Tesla then sees a bigger gap on the right side and commences A-hole move of tugging over to the right making it look like I am trying to block any merging cars from passing me, or just straight cutting them off. It's a lot better than it used to be, but it still does it. I try and speed up so I don't have to pull it out of NOA and the car doesn't cut any of the merging cars off.

Reactions: MXLRplus
I think there's a good chance something happened well before this video clip that made the motorcyclist justifiably pissed. It seems the big thing these days is to just show the part of the video that makes whoever you want look bad. It's CNN's favorite thing in the whole world to do.

As a motorcyclist and a Tesla owner, I disagree with you on every level.

First of all, en electric/heated sideview mirror can easily be a grand to repair and replace. So without judge or jury, the motorcyclist gets to level a $1,000 fine on the driver? In what basis of Western Law do we agree this is a valid behavior?

Even if "something" happened prior on the road, everyone was fine, and the cycle was traveling safely behind with no injury or anything. The bike is the one doing the "illegal in 49 states" over-taking. I don't ride in CA, but I have to presume the law about lane splitting is entirely on the rider to assume all risk.

Even as a rider, I own the lane I am traveling in. If you're coming up from behind me, often at speed, and I don't see or have ability to "move over" as you desire, that is not incumbent on me to provide you space. If, and if isn't even a given, he seemly pushed the motorcycle over - do we know at all the Tesla driver even knew the bike was there? That's not his responsibility.

I drive in these single-lane HOV lanes often. And I do so at +5 MPH over limit. I can set the cruise/auto-pilot and just chillax without worrying about traffic. So I don't need to know what's going on behind me.

In no uncertain terms, this is not the Tesla fault whatsoever. And should not be accepted by the riding community at all.

As a motorcyclist and a Tesla owner, I disagree with you on every level.

First of all, en electric/heated sideview mirror can easily be a grand to repair and replace. So without judge or jury, the motorcyclist gets to level a $1,000 fine on the driver? In what basis of Western Law do we agree this is a valid behavior?

Even if "something" happened prior on the road, everyone was fine, and the cycle was traveling safely behind with no injury or anything. The bike is the one doing the "illegal in 49 states" over-taking. I don't ride in CA, but I have to presume the law about lane splitting is entirely on the rider to assume all risk.

Even as a rider, I own the lane I am traveling in. If you're coming up from behind me, often at speed, and I don't see or have ability to "move over" as you desire, that is not incumbent on me to provide you space. If, and if isn't even a given, he seemly pushed the motorcycle over - do we know at all the Tesla driver even knew the bike was there? That's not his responsibility.

I drive in these single-lane HOV lanes often. And I do so at +5 MPH over limit. I can set the cruise/auto-pilot and just chillax without worrying about traffic. So I don't need to know what's going on behind me.

In no uncertain terms, this is not the Tesla fault whatsoever. And should not be accepted by the riding community at all.

As a fellow motorcyclist and Tesla owner, what the world are you rambling on about??

Did I say he was justified in damaging the mirror? Nope. Did I say it was ok for the motorcyclist to cross over the lines? Nope. Do I care how you drive a motorcycle, or think it's relevant to my post? Nope. Re-read my very short post and then edit your rambling post.

Is it possible that something happened before this video that would really anger the motorcyclist? Absolutely. How can you not understand that? No one knows.

As someone who does not own/ride a motorcycle but has friends that do...

If I were on a jury deciding this case, and the only evidence we had was this video, I'd vote the motorcycle rider guilty for causing damage to the Tesla driver in a heartbeat. That said, in the back of my mind, I would have to assume that something the Tesla driver did earlier caused the motorcyclist to exact revenge. That does NOT excuse the action the MC took. For all we know the Tesla driver put the MC's life in danger some time earlier, either on purpose or through inattention or inaction. But that does not mean the MC should have whacked the mirror. That one-finger salute alone should have gotten the message across.

My philosophy when driving in the HOV lanes in commute traffic is that I will give a motorcycle the maximum amount of room to pass me in the lane. When I see a motorcycle coming up behind me I move over to the left and put my tires on or slightly over the yellow line. It may be why I got two punctures in the left rear tire in one year. It's the reason why I use TACC and not AutoPilot in the commute lane. I can steer where I want but the car paces the traffic ahead of me. Almost always I get the peace sign from the MC in return. Lane-splitting is legal in California, despite what some people would like. It would have been illegal for the MC to exit the HOV lane in order to pass the Tesla; the pair of double white lines on the right means you can't cross over them.

I was taught to be a defensive driver. Having a car that has the capability to (partially) drive itself means I have CPU time to devote to looking around my vicinity and seeing what might become a problem. I now spend more time looking in my rear view mirrors than in any car I had previously.

Reactions: CyberGus
Things like this is why I am mixed for supporting motorcycle lane splitting in California... Some motorcycle riders are just ass.

Probably the same thing as big truck drivers, having to compensate their small pp to assert their dominance.

As someone who does not own/ride a motorcycle but has friends that do...

If I were on a jury deciding this case, and the only evidence we had was this video, I'd vote the motorcycle rider guilty for causing damage to the Tesla driver in a heartbeat. That said, in the back of my mind, I would have to assume that something the Tesla driver did earlier caused the motorcyclist to exact revenge. That does NOT excuse the action the MC took. For all we know the Tesla driver put the MC's life in danger some time earlier, either on purpose or through inattention or inaction. But that does not mean the MC should have whacked the mirror. That one-finger salute alone should have gotten the message across.

My philosophy when driving in the HOV lanes in commute traffic is that I will give a motorcycle the maximum amount of room to pass me in the lane. When I see a motorcycle coming up behind me I move over to the left and put my tires on or slightly over the yellow line. It may be why I got two punctures in the left rear tire in one year. It's the reason why I use TACC and not AutoPilot in the commute lane. I can steer where I want but the car paces the traffic ahead of me. Almost always I get the peace sign from the MC in return. Lane-splitting is legal in California, despite what some people would like. It would have been illegal for the MC to exit the HOV lane in order to pass the Tesla; the pair of double white lines on the right means you can't cross over them.

I was taught to be a defensive driver. Having a car that has the capability to (partially) drive itself means I have CPU time to devote to looking around my vicinity and seeing what might become a problem. I now spend more time looking in my rear view mirrors than in any car I had previously.
The person the the bike didn't signal or anything.

I don't believe that was a legal lane split + a pass on the right. Idiot Motorcyclist, plain and simple.
Probably an illegal lane split though: "Motorcyclists who are lane splitting still have to obey speed limits and other rules of the road, and can be ticketed if they don't lane split responsibly."

That said, I feel the opposite about the express lanes, and almost exclusively use autopilot in the carpool / express lanes, as these are the lanes with the least merging / changing speeds etc, swerving vehicles lanes ending and merging, and cars entering and exiting the highway. Have to be much more careful with it in regular traffic!

Should you move over to let motorcycles pass? Yes.
Do you have to? No.
Should they pass on the right in the carpool lane? No.

Furthermore:
"California Vehicle Code Section 23103: Reckless Driving Any person who operates a motor vehicle upon a highway with a willful or wanton disregard for the safety of other persons or property is guilty of reckless driving. Splitting lanes at an excessively high speed can lead to a charge of reckless driving."

"California Vehicle Code Section 22350: The Basic Speed Law This statute states, in part, that anyone operating a motor vehicle (car or motorcycle) has to do so in accordance with posted speed limits, and at a speed that is no greater than what is reasonable and prudent having due regard for weather, visibility and the traffic on—and the surface and width of—the highway, and in no event at a speed that endangers the safety of persons or property. This means, on a multi-lane road with a posted speed limit of 45 mph, while traffic is congested and flowing at 20 mph, you can split traffic at a reasonable speed. Usually, a reasonably safe speed is no more than 10 mph faster than the flow of traffic. You would probably be within the law if you were splitting traffic in this scenario at up to 30 mph. Even though the posted speed limit is 45, you would most likely be in violation of the basic speed law if you were to split 20 mph traffic at 45 mph."

Source: https://www.lanesplittingislegal.co...e-splitting-article-AMA-magazine-May-2014.pdf

Lane splitting idea is that it should create a safer environment for motorcycles. Motorcycles are less safe in stopped traffic and can safely pass other vehicles when they are stuck at speeds under the speed limit. It was not designed to pass cars at 80mph in a 65.

Last edited:
I think there's a good chance something happened well before this video clip that made the motorcyclist justifiably pissed. It seems the big thing these days is to just show the part of the video that makes whoever you want look bad. It's CNN's favorite thing in the whole world to do.

Anything is possible. It seems that creating a narrative to explain the irrational behavior of someone that you feel an affinity towards has become common practice these days. It's Fox News's favorite thing in the whole world to do.

I would bet something happened before the video starts. It is rare for someone to be that aggressive.

I have commuted for 30 years on two wheels. The Covid traffic has definitely had me in a car more than usual. Speeds above 85 mph are the new normal. Way too many people and vehicles without the qualifications drive above 90.

I wish there was a better way for the motorcycle community to be warned about the random auto pilot phantom braking - I am sure many motorcyclist think they are being brake checked.

I have three spots on my commute where I know the Tesla auto pilot is unpredictable. That is not counting the guy practicing his Trumpet or the lady painting or the lady singing with the microphone.

Things like this is why I am mixed for supporting motorcycle lane splitting in California

This is why I was not a fan of California making lane splitting legal. Before they just kind of allowed it. But even when I used to ride, I never did it because it was too easy to be in someones blind spot. I even waited behind cars when highway traffic stopped, no point in pissing people off especially when you're on a vehicle that has no protection in a crash.

Can someone explain to me the point of removing the muffle part of the exhaust for a motorcycle?

- I read that the origin was to make the motorcycle more noticeable. This might be truth in a city because of reflection on building walls,
but on highway, which is the most important because of the speed, the exhaust noise is sent toward the back, so not really noticeable from a car in front of a motorcycle.

- Doses this really provide more horse powers? This is possible, but does the level of added vibration and noise is worthwhile. When such motorcycle pass my car, I can hear and fell the vibrations, but this must be noting compared to what the driver must endure...

- Is there any control made by the police? I think this is more a disturbance that a safety added function? But I imagine the police would not have the proper equipment to measure the noise and all depend of the position of the accelerator.

However I can't wait until the Electrical motorcycle become more popular. Those are very silent, and sound like a science fiction ship.
I just wonder if future users would prefer their noisy rider, over the new Electric ones providing an incredible acceleration.

For now, well, like everyone, I would let the drivers enjoying waking up half of a city in middle of the night while going back home from their favorite dive bar.

Reactions: totoro722
Interesting fact - my Zero electric motorcycle scares more people than my loud motorcycle. I think it is due to my loud motorcycles being heard before seen. The Zero sneaks up on everyone.

However I can't wait until the Electrical motorcycle become more popular. Those are very silent, and sound like a science fiction ship.
I just wonder if future users would prefer their noisy rider, over the new Electric ones providing an incredible acceleration.

For now, well, like everyone, I would let the drivers enjoying waking up half of a city in middle of the night while going back home from their favorite dive bar.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: SmartElectric
Everyone should experience what life is like when you are on a motorcycle on the gridlocked 91 fwy on a 105°F day wearing All-The-Gear All-The-Time. The actual surface air temperature can be over 125°F and you are dressed in heavy armor.

Even creeping along at 10 mph helps a lot.

As counterpoint to the impression given here by some, it's not mayhem on CA freeways among bikers and drivers. I rode the notorious 91 at 6 a.m. from Riverside to Fullerton for five years and didn't have one close call the entire time. However, I DID see a biker ahead of me on a rainy morning leave his bike and upside down vertically (a two piece yellow rainsuit made it unforgettable). Gawd knows what had happened, but I suspect he'd panic braked and unweighted the rear end. My job required me to be on time, so I couldn't stop, unfortunately.

Anyway, to the matter at hand, I'd have a hard time believing the biker here hadn't been abused in some way, there's no time to spitefully smack a mirror in a random fashion. You're just concentrating on keeping the rubber side down. Inadvertently or not, the Tesla driver must've wronged him somehow.

But again, motorists here were keenly aware of us and didn't open doors to hock lugies, or anything of the sort. I never had problems and was thankful for it at the end.

I don't care what that motorcyclist thought, you don't touch someone's vehicle intentionally. Do it to the wrong person, and it might be your last day on earth. On a bike, all you have on your side is speed, but no other protection. All it takes is a little nudge and your life is done. And if you run, the person might have your info like in this case.

I'm not trying to defend the motorcyclist, but why is this being called "vandalism"? Did he harm the vehicle in some way? Smacking a car with one's hand and giving the driver the bird is rude, dumb, and probably a vehicle code violation, but absent some damage to the car it's not really vandalism.

I'm not trying to defend the motorcyclist, but why is this being called "vandalism"? Did he harm the vehicle in some way? Smacking a car with one's hand and giving the driver the bird is rude, dumb, and probably a vehicle code violation, but absent some damage to the car it's not really vandalism.

For one, OP's mirror is now inoperable and he has to pull over from the left lane without a right mirror.

But also, smacking a motorized side mirror that hard is fairly likely to cause damage (it's not exactly "smacking a car" if i can be pedantic) and the intent is clearly to harm the vehicle. No problem with gesturing though.

Agree x1000% on lane splitting being cool at a reasonable speed (i.e in traffic on a highway) and otherwise unsafe for everyone. Of course riding bikes is dangerous and riders will take poor driving very seriously, but they also shouldn't take unnecessary risks.

California Motorcycle License Plate: 24S0035

Efrain F - Friday Vandalism:

Please call your insurance and file it as a hit and run, you won't have to pay a penny on your deductible. You can claim that under Collison or uninsured motorist.

A lot of motorcyclists think they own the road, get used to it.

You can't get a copy of the driver's info, but the insurance can get it...

• Informative
Reactions: LionXng