Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Threads with Unread Posts after Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's helpful but best would be to hide the read threads and only show unread like the old forums if that's possible. This is regarding the watched threads section not the whole forums.
You can already do this as danny hinted at earlier: View Threads with Unread Posts after Upgrade?

The main problem is that you can't do the following easily without clearing or resetting filters:

1. View all threads with unread posts.
2. View watched threads with unread posts.
3. View watched forums with unread posts.

My typical flow with the previous forum was this depending on how much time I had to read:
1. Click on email notifications for new posts to threads I'm watching.
2. Click on "watched threads w/unread posts" link to make sure I didn't miss any posts.
3. Click on "watched forums w/unread posts" link to make sure I didn't miss any posts.
4. Click on "unread posts" to look for any interesting active threads.

You can already do this as danny hinted at earlier: View Threads with Unread Posts after Upgrade?
Thanks, that works. I thought it would show all individual unread posts in a watched thread not just single unread watched threads. Not quite as convenient as the old way that had a dedicated Unread Watched Threads button. I guess I can create a bookmark to do the same.

Yep. I can confirm that if using Dark Mode, the bold feature is absolutely useless.
I do not know the capabilities of this new software, but another alternative would be a simple line/separation marker below unread threads with headings, such as "Watched threads with new posts" and "Remaining Watched threads" (or whatever). That would also solve our goal.

Haha yeah it's just the red dot. The text boldness was not changed.

Solution for Unread Posts (Watched Forums) coming soon.

I hope you also are still considering adding "Unread Watched Threads" (like we used to have)??

My desktop browser workaround is good for the mean time, but native would be so much better, especially for mobile. Thanks.

I hope you also are still considering adding "Unread Watched Threads" (like we used to have)??

My desktop browser workaround is good for the mean time, but native would be so much better, especially for mobile. Thanks.
Yeah, I think we will do that as well. The idea is to add a "Watched Threads" option to the filter dropdown. Therefore, you can see "New Posts" and apply "Unread" and "Watched Threads" as you like, and then save whichever combination you like most as your "Default. Then we would develop another feed called "New Threads", and of course you would be able to filter that feed for "Unread". I don't think "Watched Threads" filter makes sense for the "New Threads" feed, as how is it helpful to know that you watched a new thread? Once a thread is watched, you don't care about how new the thread is, you care about whether it has new posts, which is covered by the "New Posts" with "Unread" and "Watched Threads" turned on. Am I missing something?

Yeah, I think we will do that as well. The idea is to add a "Watched Threads" option to the filter dropdown. Therefore, you can see "New Posts" and apply "Unread" and "Watched Threads" as you like, and then save whichever combination you like most as your "Default. Then we would develop another feed called "New Threads", and of course you would be able to filter that feed for "Unread". I don't think "Watched Threads" filter makes sense for the "New Threads" feed, as how is it helpful to know that you watched a new thread? Once a thread is watched, you don't care about how new the thread is, you care about whether it has new posts, which is covered by the "New Posts" with "Unread" and "Watched Threads" turned on. Am I missing something?
FWIW my TMC bookmarks are:
  1. watched threads, which may in any forum including forums I don't have watched ("watched/threads")
  2. watched forums, which may overlap with watched threads (now using "whats-new/posts" with saved filters on unread and watched)
Not sure if I understand your proposal correctly, but it seems like moving "watched threads" into the "new posts" filter options would make it impossible for me to have two separate bookmarks. Instead I'd have to save one as default and manually select the other. That sounds like a verschlimmbesserung, at least for me.

Not sure if I understand your proposal correctly, but it seems like moving "watched threads" into the "new posts" filter options would make it impossible for me to have two separate bookmarks. Instead I'd have to save one as default and manually select the other. That sounds like a verschlimmbesserung, at least for me.
No, the "Watched Threads" feed available here https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/watched/threads would remain untouched. What I was talking about was applying a watched thread filter to the "New Posts" feed. Currently there is a filter called "Watched Content", but that filter combines both "Watched Threads" and threads from "Watched Forums", but what most users are interested in is a "New Posts" that can be filtered for "Unread" and "Watched Threads".

I've updated my Tampermonkey script to hide all read threads in the "Watched Threads" view.

You can install it from here once you have the Tampermonkey browser extension installed:

This helps the situation only on the desktop browser, but the lack of "Watched Unread Threads" is still a problem on mobile (my primary access method).
I've been using the Tampermonkey script since you first created it but just found I've been missing out on lots of posts since they were on subsequent pages. Doh!

Can't wait for the return of true "unread" functionality like we used to have on desktop and mobile. I tried the filter option mentioned earlier but it still shows read threads after I read them.

Reactions: MP3Mike and JRP3
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure I mentioned that quirk when I first posted the script.
Maybe! I do appreciate it and use it on desktop every day. I don't really use the site on mobile anymore since the upgrade. I thought I was keeping up with new posts but I went to page 2 today and found a few...then a few more on pages 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7.

It was so effortless before as the "new watched threads" link functionality only showed what I still needed to read...and not 250+ pages of threads that I've already read. :confused: