Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virginia Inspection - Help Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It says "may be affixed" - not "shall" be affixed.

This just means the dealer/mfr can put a sticker on your car even they are not an official inspection place (as Tesla is not) but they do not have to. Some police and even parking maids will ticket or pull over for no inspection sticker so worth getting one to avoid the hassle and unwanted interaction with law enforcement -- but not legally required.

You don't like to fully read stuff do you... "may be affixed to the vehicle as required by § 46.2-1163" Now go and read 46.2-1163 and tell me where it says it is NOT required.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
Glad I don't live there. Sounds like a scam to give more business to the auto repair industry. I could see every third or fifth year.

I like the safety inspections, as it keeps people from driving around in death traps. I've been to plenty of other states with no safety inspections and I've seen some terrifying things going down the roads (Saturn sedan with no seat back on the driver's seat, Ford Explorer crabbing significantly while going down the highway at 80+ MPH, RVs with blown suspension on one side just waiting to roll over in a sharp corner, etc.).

Reactions: compu85
I like the safety inspections, as it keeps people from driving around in death traps. I've been to plenty of other states with no safety inspections and I've seen some terrifying things going down the roads (Saturn sedan with no seat back on the driver's seat, Ford Explorer crabbing significantly while going down the highway at 80+ MPH, RVs with blown suspension on one side just waiting to roll over in a sharp corner, etc.).

Completely agree! Just cross the bridge to DC or Maryland and see cars in all sorts of dilapidation on the side of the highway, sometimes _literally_ burnt-out on the side of the road! MD has very lax safety inspections AFAIK. Not so much in NoVA, and usually from out of state if they're on the shoulder.

Completely agree! Just cross the bridge to DC or Maryland and see cars in all sorts of dilapidation on the side of the highway, sometimes _literally_ burnt-out on the side of the road! MD has very lax safety inspections AFAIK. Not so much in NoVA, and usually from out of state if they're on the shoulder.
Really? I’ve lived in MD off and on for 20 years and haven’t seen this. Not sure what kind of neighborhoods you frequent.

Glad I don't live there. Sounds like a scam to give more business to the auto repair industry. I could see every third or fifth year.
States that politically oppose taxes tend to have a very long list of fees and a huge bureaucracy to collect and enforce them. The irony is that poor people are screwed because they have to shoulder an equal share of the fixed costs while being minor consumers.

As an Ex Virginian of 30 yrs. The inspection process has always been stupid. I've had the guy come out and hand me a failed notice. For bulb out. Battery lose. I asked why didnt you fix it and charge me or at least ask me? Oh no, we dont fix them, even for bulb out?
Its so nice here in Fl with no inspection. The police do it if you dont have a safe car.

You don't like to fully read stuff do you... "may be affixed to the vehicle as required by § 46.2-1163" Now go and read 46.2-1163 and tell me where it says it is NOT required.

That section mandates what official inspection stations do when they pass a car. It is referred to in the OEM exception section in order to tell the oems what kind of sticker they MAY apply --- namely, the ones that inspection stations MUST apply.

I explained this to law enforcement twice, including once where I just said this is a new car and he knew what I was referring to and was fine. But practically it is still better to get it so as to not attract attention.

§ 46.2-1158.01. Exceptions to motor vehicle inspection requirement

Is not misnamed. It is a real exception to the general requirement to get an inspection from a valid inspection station. And no other section requires you to get a sticker for an inspection that you didn't have because you are excepted from it.

Last edited: