Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now, I am building with the command line ("ant compile"). However, it appears that the project may have been created with an IDE (eclipse???). If so, I will go ahead and setup eclipse but I would like to confirm first.
Whenever I extract a new version of VisibleTesla from Github (and I haven’t for a long time since it hasn’t changed), I will initially build it using NetBeans. VisibleTesla will not build with Java 8, so you need to install Java 7. After getting all the dependencies worked out with NetBeans and the project built, I then just do further builds with the ant command line. Just typing “ant” in the VisibleTesla directory will build the entire project.

Be sure to set up the folder/directory hierarchy as explained in the README.md file. You will need to download TeslaClient and also create a ThirdParty folder into which you will manually have to download the required files. When using NetBeans, it will complain about missing JAR files if the proper files are not in the ThirdParty folder, at which point you can then find them online and download them. Then just update the project settings in NetBeans which will properly update the xml build file.

Your folder hierarchy should look something like this:

Visible Tesla
Tesla
TeslaClient
VisibleTesla
ThirdParty
apache
appbundler-1.0.jar
cron4j-2.2.5
geocoded-java
google-gson-2.2.4
google-guava
javafx-dialogs
javaws.jar
jexcelapi
jfxtras
resty

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
Whenever I extract a new version of VisibleTesla from Github (and I haven’t for a long time since it hasn’t changed), I will initially build it using NetBeans. VisibleTesla will not build with Java 8, so you need to install Java 7. After getting all the dependencies worked out with NetBeans and the project built, I then just do further builds with the ant command line. Just typing “ant” in the VisibleTesla directory will build the entire project.

Be sure to set up the folder/directory hierarchy as explained in the README.md file. You will need to download TeslaClient and also create a ThirdParty folder into which you will manually have to download the required files. When using NetBeans, it will complain about missing JAR files if the proper files are not in the ThirdParty folder, at which point you can then find them online and download them. Then just update the project settings in NetBeans which will properly update the xml build file.

Your folder hierarchy should look something like this:

Visible Tesla
Tesla
TeslaClient
VisibleTesla
ThirdParty
apache
appbundler-1.0.jar
cron4j-2.2.5
geocoded-java
google-gson-2.2.4
google-guava
javafx-dialogs
javaws.jar
jexcelapi
jfxtras
resty
Thanks. I'm pretty certain I have the directory structure set up ok, but I will need to get Java 7. I'll let you know how it goes.

I've been getting my hands dirty with the VisibleTesla source. So far I've been able to make the following changes:
- Support multiple panoramic roof codes, looks like there are 3 different pano generations
- Support 90 models and 70 non-D (untested)
- Verify there's a bug somewhere in the Location code or the use of the google map API. The current location is displayed correctly, however the marker overlay and dials aren't rendering. Working on a fix.
Hey Jmsurpri,

I have a 90D and would love to have the app recognize it as such. Currently it sees a "70D". If you have a solution to that, can you let me know where to get it? I am using a iMac...

Thanks in advance!

Gilles

I have added support for all models except the recently released 75D. I can provide a jar file for you to test. Will put it in a Dropbox soon.
There's a sorely needed feature which I am planning to add: Notification when HVAC is turned on. Anyone who has experimented with smart preconditioning will appreciate this.

I probably won't be able to finish setting up my dev environment until this weekend but hope to have an update ready to commit shortly after that.

When the FAQs say the app has to be running for it to collect data, that means I need to have the app open and (obviously) my computer on?

I installed yesterday, and the only data I get on the graphs tab are range and state of charge, but it seems that is because I had my computer off and it picked up that data from the car afterward? The times themselves also seem to be inaccurate, but I attribute that to it being set to a different time zone.

Sorry for noob question, but at least I found and installed the right version!

Thank you! I assume I can use this for MAC OS X and just ignore the Windows files correct? Which folder do I drop this in, the Java folder under Package Contents?
There is a Mac installer that I haven't played around with yet. However If you are command window savvy you should just be able to run Java.exe -jar VisibleTesla.jar. Make sure you run Java 1.7 as the app isn't compatible with 1.8.

Is there any way to use visible tesla to turn on the AC when the cabin temperature exceeds a setpoint??

My MS has been at the Fremont service center for 6 days now and they haven't started working on it yet. I've been manually keeping an eye on it and turning on the AC when the temp gets above 105 but I'd like it better if VT or another app could do it. Yes I realize I could probably figure out the API and write a python script or something to do it but I figured I'd ask first in case this has already been solved.