Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried to debug the Location issue on Windows. While there's no crash, I don't see any of the map overlay graphics like the arrow for the car location. It does however show the map location accurately. As far as I can tell, the html/javascript is working fine. I can cut-n-paste it into a browser and see everything correctly. Has this ever worked in the app?

I've tried to debug the Location issue on Windows. While there's no crash, I don't see any of the map overlay graphics like the arrow for the car location. It does however show the map location accurately. As far as I can tell, the html/javascript is working fine. I can cut-n-paste it into a browser and see everything correctly. Has this ever worked in the app?
Yeah, it used to work a year or two ago. Yep, running El Cap 10.11.6 Beta (15G12a). I'll try messing with my Java install to see if it can resolve Location tab app crash.

I've been looking forward to using VisibleTesla for a long long time. Finally got my Model S, downloaded the app (for Mac), launched it, got to the login screen, plugged in credentials (those used for my Tesla iPhone app & My Tesla), and then....
nothing

Login failed.

Tried and failed several times.
Great Scott!

I then grabbed my iPhone, and logged in and out of the Tesla app, so I verified my credentials.

I'm running OS X 10.11.15 (El Capitan)
Java 8 update 45

Visible Tesla doesn't work with Java 8. It does work with El Capitan.

But the FAQ says it uses a bundled version of Java:

VisibleTesla requires a fairly modern version of Java to work properly. It uses some features that were introduced part way through Java version 7. There were some changes in Java version 8 libraries that make it incompatible with Visible Tesla. When you update the version of Java installed on your computer, you may cause an incompatibility. To take the guess work out of this, VisibleTesla ships with a bundled version of Java on Windows and Mac. The bundled version:
  • Is known to work with VisibleTesla
  • Will not be used for anything other than VisibleTesla
  • It will not interfere with other versions of Java installed on your computer
On the Mac you will automatically use this bundled version of Java unless you go way out of your way not to.

If I am remembering correctly, it was working for me on Windows 7 until around October, 2015 when Tesla released version 7.0 with Autopilot. I am running the same VisibleTesla jar that I got in July, 2015 so that rules out any change in that code. I am perplexed why a change made by Tesla, even if it affected the API VisibleTesla uses, should affecting the rendering by VisibleTesla. Unless VisibleTesla gets the html/javascript for the whole map from the Tesla server. In which case, Tesla changed something in html/javascript which the imbedded browser from this old version of Java can't handle, causing the overlay not to display, but which is compatible with more current browsers.

If it is a problem with the embedded browser provided with Java, this is another argument for refreshing app for Java 8.

Last edited:
Is there any way to use visible tesla to turn on the AC when the cabin temperature exceeds a setpoint??

My MS has been at the Fremont service center for 6 days now and they haven't started working on it yet. I've been manually keeping an eye on it and turning on the AC when the temp gets above 105 but I'd like it better if VT or another app could do it. Yes I realize I could probably figure out the API and write a python script or something to do it but I figured I'd ask first in case this has already been solved.

I had my MS at the SC last week and they turned Remote Access off because they said that a owner either activated Summon while it was in the SC or could activate Summon while it was in the SC. I was not happy that I could not tell if they were working on my car.

When I asked the service advisor said that Tesla had told them to turn it off. I agree that the Summon feature is the most dangerous but as you know if there is a service technician working on your Tesla and the owner logged onto the App and started beeping the horn it could cause the technician to have an accident.

I like having it on so i can tell when they are working on it. I can also watch them when they test drive the car. I will ask for more specifics the next time I take it in for service.

Really wish they'd have a monitoring API that can't activate any car features.

But then I also wish all our settings were synced to the cloud and that when you got a loaner, all you compatible settings based on the submodel your get, get synced down so that you don't have to pair bts, and set seats and all the other settings. Not sure if homelink could be synced but I know bt can because I can use titanium backup on an android and move my 25 paired devices to another phone just fine.

Reactions: bmah and jgs
I will be one of the lucky ones to have 2 tesla come August with the Arrival of my wife's X. I have created a second instance of VT, however I can't seem to find where to specify an alternate location for data files. Is there no longer a way to do that? I'd love to have her car on a schedule like mine is, and especially reminders about plugging in. I think with our garage, she's going to need to get out, get the kids out and then Summon the car to park. That will definitely not help her to remember to plug in. If she's anything like she is with gas... She's going to be low on charge at least 2X a week ;-)

Thanks for a terrific app!