Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
July was a record month for notifications

VisibleTesla sent 10,585 notifications in July - a new record. The total for the last 6 months is 45,810.

This is just the notifications sent using the default mail sending account. I have no way of knowing how many messages are being sent via personal MailGun accounts.

I had problems with VT and the iPhone app, then they both started working, now neither are working again.

-- Update --

As of 1:44AM on 8/13, Tesla's servers seem are responding again - at least for me.

Last edited:
I just noticed, is it correct that all speeds are shown i miles?

For us europeans miles are only used in the UK, not the rest of Europe. Would it be possible to have a preference settings that adjusted for miles vs. km.?

Odd, for me VT version 0.28.01 is definitely showing everything in km. The charge panel shows km, the trips show trip distances in km and when I map the trip the speeds are listed in km/h.

@Mario: The location tab shows the speed in miles in version 0.28.0.1

It looks like that VisibleTesla shows the KW indicator when adding charge via DC the same way as when driving and regenerating power:

sc2.JPG

The above graphs is from today when travelling from one Supercharger to another and charging on both of them.

Last edited:
Hi scaesare,

Sorry you had to go through that. Can I ask which version of VT are you using? The last two releases (0.28.00 and 0.28.01) both include a bundled Java VM and should not be impacted by any updates to other JVM's loaded or updated on your system. This bundled JVM is used automatically if you use the script to put an icon on your desktop OR if you manually use the vtrunner script. If you're double-clicking VisibleTesla.zip, it will use whatever JVM is installed on your system.

Joe

Well crap. Java just updated itself and now I can't launch VT. Same behavior as previously with the javaw.exe process terminating after a couple of seconds.

My previous fix of clearing the java app cache didn't work. Nor does launching VT using the bundled JRE.

I expect this is more of a problem with my workstation than with VT... *sigh*...

Well crap. Java just updated itself and now I can't launch VT. Same behavior as previously with the javaw.exe process terminating after a couple of seconds.

My previous fix of clearing the java app cache didn't work. Nor does launching VT using the bundled JRE.

I expect this is more of a problem with my workstation than with VT... *sigh*...

For debugging purposes, try opening a CMD prompt, CD into the visibletesla folder, then type:
.\jre1.7\bin\javaw -Xmx1024m -jar VisibleTesla.jar

Let me know what errors or other output you get.

Good luck!
Joe

Just an idea (I don't know if it has been suggested before or if it is already an option. Haven't had time to test yet). What if VT could read data from the MongoDB database that teslams (the node.js implementation) can log into?
That way teslams could run on a headless server, doing all the logging and heavy streaming stuff, while VT can be run on any of a number of devices I have, without having to duplicate the data logging and connections to Teslas servers.

For debugging purposes, try opening a CMD prompt, CD into the visibletesla folder, then type:
.\jre1.7\bin\javaw -Xmx1024m -jar VisibleTesla.jar

Let me know what errors or other output you get.

Good luck!
Joe

Thanks for the response Joe.... I ended up getting it working last night by uninstalling completely the latest version of Java that had been installed (6u47, IIRC), removing the app from the java cache, and then running it again with the bundled JRE.

Should it happen again I'll give your suggestion a shot and capture the output.... although I think this workstation is going to get a fresh build to Win8.1 first anyway...

Thanks.

Just an idea (I don't know if it has been suggested before or if it is already an option. Haven't had time to test yet). What if VT could read data from the MongoDB database that teslams (the node.js implementation) can log into?
That way teslams could run on a headless server, doing all the logging and heavy streaming stuff, while VT can be run on any of a number of devices I have, without having to duplicate the data logging and connections to Teslas servers.

Hi Olen,

Yes, it makes a lot of sense to have a logger that puts data into a DB then have any number of uses for that data including an interactive app like VT. It's probably not something I will do myself any time soon. It's a fairly major undertaking and it also means a more complicated system to support. I am very open to others who want to fork the code and go down that path. It may be more supportable to use something like DynamoDB hosted on AWS. In that case users won't need to be their own DBAs.

If I did have a large chunk of time available (I don't :)), I might redo VT as a rich web app so that it could at least be viewed on any device.The backend would be headless.

Joe

I realize a complete rewrite to a backend+frontend version would be a huge task, so my suggestion was only to add a new option of some sort, that would pull "live data" from the db that teslams ( hjespers/teslams · GitHub ) can write it streaming data to (see the streaming.js section of the github-page).
That way you don't need to write any backend code, teslams takes care of that. VT would only need to change the way it polls some of its data, from the streaming api to the db-api.
I am unfortunatly not a java-programmer, but as far as I can see, a few changes would probably only be needed in SnapshotState.java to add a "getFromDB" method which is similar to "getFromStream", except that it reads the latest values from the DB instead.
VT is a great app, but I dont want to trash Teslas servers and poll the vehicle more often than really needed, so running both VT and teslams at the same time is not an ideal option.