Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Downloaded the Apple Version. Loads and opens fine, but asks me to 'check credentials' when attempting to log on. . . . .

You need the version in this post:
VisibleTesla - Page 174

The current version on the website doesn't work with Tesla's newer servers (that more and more cars are on). It's not the published version due to possible throttling of the server requests that result from using it (and may result in the mobile app not working properly).

Custom Pages

Does anybody have any knowledge on how to setup Custom Webpages in VisibleTesla, as indicated below? Thanks!

Custom Pages

VisibleTesla can serve up web pages that are designed by you and can include template variables. You need to store these pages in a folder where VisibleTesla can find them. That folder can be on the web or on your local machine. Either way, the location is specified by a URL in the Advanced Preferences. To access custom pages in this folder, use URLs of the form: http://localhost:9090/custom/MyCustomPage.html
In this example, you would have a file named MyCustomPage.html stored in the folder that you specified in the advanced preferences.

I've been using 0.29 for quite awhile now, which was working reasonably well. I kept using that instead of 0.28 because it fixed a bug that caused VT to silently stop recording data, which I traded for a visible crash. A good compromise.

I upgraded to 0.50.06 and it seems to be working great, with the exception of the Graphs tab. When I click it I get a beach ball for a good long while, then eventually a blank tab, as shown below. Any idea what's going on? MacOS 10.10.2.

Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 11.01.00 AM.png

I know the data is there, because the Trips tab works and can load location data successfully.

I've downloaded via the "Mac App Download" link and received the 0.28.01 version. When I try to log in I get the error message that my credentials are incorrect. However the exact same credentials works just fine on both My Tesla and on my iPhone app. How can this be?

There were major changes made by Tesla, requiring major changes to Visible Tesla.

You need the version of the software available in this post:

VisibleTesla - Page 174

Edit: This post explains the background: VisibleTesla - Page 154

In the older versions of VT, I was able to parse the collected data fairly easily. In the newer version, it's not clear how to get the timestamps from the data file written by VT. I know I can export the data, but that requires using the VT GUI, and I have some tools for graphing the collected data and I'd rather not have to first export the data using the GUI.

Has anyone written anything to read the {VIN}.pts.data file? Or do you know the details of the format, specifically how the time is encoded?

I'm glad that most things seems to work just fine in the new version. One exception is that there is a mix of the use of 'km' and 'mi' in the different menus.

But in the 'Trips' tab it says it uses 'mi' in some places, and 'km' in other places. But all numbers actually is in 'mi'. - I would had prefer it showed me all numbers in 'km'.
View attachment 75906
I have looked all places that i can think of, but I cannot find any place where I can switch between 'mi' and 'km'. But I assume the application is supposed to get that from the car.

Any idea how to correct this? Or must it be fixed in the application?

Same here, I'm on metric for units in my car as well. The Trips tab does not use the car setting for Units and keeps showing all in miles.
I tried the Override for Units on the Prefs tab and set to Metric, no difference.
Also when using Map it! it will shows speed in miles per hour and elevation in feet.
This worked well in previous version 0.28.01 so seems the code fails now tocheck or apply settings for Units for the Trips tab

Another place the Units setting is not applied is the Location tab showing in the righ upper corner the speed in miles per hour, this is both in release 0.28.01 as 0.50.06. Should look at Units and show km/h for me.
Untitled.jpg

I have just been using VT for the last week or so as I needed to wait for the new version to get it to work. That's to jpasqua and everyone else involved.

Is there any way to access VT through a web based UI rather than a Java app running on your PC? That would be great to see. What type of a DB is the time series data like speed, voltage, etc stored in?

I've identified a really odd bug in version 0.50.06 for Windows. I have no idea if this bug exists in other versions.

In geofencing, the third possible defined area in the right column--the column for "Car Left Area" actually reports when the car enters that area.

The first, second, and fourth work correctly.

I've identified a really odd bug in version 0.50.06 for Windows. I have no idea if this bug exists in other versions.

In geofencing, the third possible defined area in the right column--the column for "Car Left Area" actually reports when the car enters that area.

The first, second, and fourth work correctly.

Yup it's actually hooked up to the Enter Area 4. Looks like a copy and paste error. Fixed and pull request created:
Fix a bug in the 3rd Exit Geofencing Notification. Was wired up to 4th by breser · Pull Request #112 · jpasqua/VisibleTesla · GitHub

Yup it's actually hooked up to the Enter Area 4. Looks like a copy and paste error. Fixed and pull request created:
Fix a bug in the 3rd Exit Geofencing Notification. Was wired up to 4th by breser · Pull Request #112 · jpasqua/VisibleTesla · GitHub

Thanks for confirming the bug, submitting it, and trying to get it corrected. (I wouldn't have had a clue as to how to do that.)

Interestingly, it took me a lot longer than it should have to pin down what was going on here.

I had used my home location for both entering and leaving notifications. When I was getting double notifications upon entering, at first I thought that because I had the area set very large, it was possible I was actually entering twice because of the way my road and driveway curve, so I reduced the size of the area. Then I thought that somehow having two similar areas, one for notifications on entering and one for notifications on exiting, was somehow causing conflicts. It was only once I decided to take my own location out of the equation, and use a different location that I was able to easily see what was going on.

Thanks for confirming the bug, submitting it, and trying to get it corrected. (I wouldn't have had a clue as to how to do that.)

Interestingly, it took me a lot longer than it should have to pin down what was going on here.

I had used my home location for both entering and leaving notifications. When I was getting double notifications upon entering, at first I thought that because I had the area set very large, it was possible I was actually entering twice because of the way my road and driveway curve, so I reduced the size of the area. Then I thought that somehow having two similar areas, one for notifications on entering and one for notifications on exiting, was somehow causing conflicts. It was only once I decided to take my own location out of the equation, and use a different location that I was able to easily see what was going on.

Took another change since the one change I made just made VisibleTesla hang on startup. There were actually two of those notification controls that were reversed. The 4th car entered control behaves as a car leaves.

Unfrotunately, I have no idea when jpasqua will merge my changes. I've made more pull requests today than it appears that the project has ever had. If someone is feeling adventerous they can build the breser branch in my repo of both TeslaClient and VisibleTesla and get everything that I've done so far today (added latest 6.1/6.2 firmwares to the version map, 85D logo, new colors, the geofencing bug).

So what you did actually fixes the bug for anyone building the program from the code on Github, right? But it won't help those of us with the pre-built version unless Jpasqua releases an updated pre-built version and incorporates the part of the code that you fixed, right?

So what you did actually fixes the bug for anyone building the program from the code on Github, right? But it won't help those of us with the pre-built version unless Jpasqua releases an updated pre-built version and incorporates the part of the code that you fixed, right?

Unfortunately no, GitHub doesn't work like that. jpasqua has his repo and I have mine. Most everyone is going to use his since he's the author. I forked his repo and made my changes but asked him to merge my changes into his. If you want my changes you need my copy of TeslaClient and VisibleTesla both built from the breser branch.

breser/TeslaClient at breser · GitHub
breser/VisibleTesla at breser · GitHub

You can pretty much follow the ant directions on those pages but where the git clone commands are in the setup change jpasqua to breser and add the following 2 lines after the clone (changing $PROJECT into TeslaClient and VisibleTesla appropriately):
cd $PROJECT
git branch breser

But you'd also need some knowledge in building Java stuff since it's not super clean. I did some work trying to clean it up so that it would build without a ton of mucking about but I can't really get rid of all of it.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been using 0.29 for quite awhile now, which was working reasonably well. I kept using that instead of 0.28 because it fixed a bug that caused VT to silently stop recording data, which I traded for a visible crash. A good compromise.

I upgraded to 0.50.06 and it seems to be working great, with the exception of the Graphs tab. When I click it I get a beach ball for a good long while, then eventually a blank tab, as shown below. Any idea what's going on? MacOS 10.10.2.

I know the data is there, because the Trips tab works and can load location data successfully.

What happens if you go into Prefs, Genera tab, and change Load data for to something shorter than All.

Is there any way to access VT through a web based UI rather than a Java app running on your PC? That would be great to see. What type of a DB is the time series data like speed, voltage, etc stored in?

A web based UI would require people to store their Teslamotors.com credentials on someone else's server somewhere with questionable, unknown, or no security. With the Java app, those are stored (and controlled) locally and only used to connect to the Tesla servers.

I'm not sure how many people would feel comfortable uploading their login info like that, which could provide almost full access to their car as well as the ability to locate,unlock, and start the car. I don't know what format the time series data is stored in, but it also is stored locally, which doesn't help on a web based platform (i.e. it's not like it's accessible from the API).

That said, nothing is stopping you or anyone from creating one for your own use. The REST API is pretty well documented.

What happens if you go into Prefs, Genera tab, and change Load data for to something shorter than All.
Same. Tried everything down to the shortest option, with the same result.

Went back to 0.29 and my old data files, and it looks like I had the same behavior there as well. Seems unusual that the trips tab would work perfectly but the graphs tab would be broken. Presumably they're pulling from the same data file.