Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well running VisibleTesla for the past two weeks finally caught up with me. I'm locked out of API access. Both VisibleTesla and the phone app accept my password but then never manage to contact the car.
That's not good. Any info on your usage? Was VisibleTesla just passively logging data, or were you using it to schedule a bunch of things?

It seems awfully strange the usage would be fine for weeks and then suddenly trigger something. Kind of makes it looks like the lockout is a manual process. It seems like if it were automatic it would have been detected sooner. :frown:

That's not good. Any info on your usage? Was VisibleTesla just passively logging data, or were you using it to schedule a bunch of things?

It seems awfully strange the usage would be fine for weeks and then suddenly trigger something. Kind of makes it looks like the lockout is a manual process. It seems like if it were automatic it would have been detected sooner. :frown:

Just passively logging data. Looks like it stopped working on Friday night sometime. Phone app didn't start working again until later on Sunday. I know it wasn't working on Sunday morning because I couldn't pre-heat the car with the app. But was working once we were at Centralia. I'm sure it wasn't a connectivity issue because I checked.

I know on Friday I used the app some while we were having dinner at the Burlington supercharger. But somewhere along the way home from there it stopped getting data from the car. I'd guess that somehow I crossed some line on usage on Friday and that triggered a lockout. I've got VT collecting data up to once every 5 seconds, so probably need to turn that down.

Well running VisibleTesla for the past two weeks finally caught up with me. I'm locked out of API access. Both VisibleTesla and the phone app accept my password but then never manage to contact the car.

Which version of VT and servers are you on? Sorry, flipped back through a few pages here to see if you had already posted that but couldn't find it quickly.

Just passively logging data. Looks like it stopped working on Friday night sometime. Phone app didn't start working again until later on Sunday. I know it wasn't working on Sunday morning because I couldn't pre-heat the car with the app. But was working once we were at Centralia. I'm sure it wasn't a connectivity issue because I checked.

I know on Friday I used the app some while we were having dinner at the Burlington supercharger. But somewhere along the way home from there it stopped getting data from the car. I'd guess that somehow I crossed some line on usage on Friday and that triggered a lockout. I've got VT collecting data up to once every 5 seconds, so probably need to turn that down.

Had you done a lot of driving on Friday, relative to the amount of driving you ordinarily do? I ask because I think that data collection minimum interval of five seconds probably only applies when you are moving. At other times VT is probably checking the car much less frequently anyway.

Had you done a lot of driving on Friday, relative to the amount of driving you ordinarily do? I ask because I think that data collection minimum interval of five seconds probably only applies when you are moving. At other times VT is probably checking the car much less frequently anyway.

Ok I looked at the graphs in more detail and I think there was some sort of connectivity issue from my house to Tesla's servers starting Friday night and lasting until some unknown point (possibly this morning). This wasn't impacting other things like Slacker.

I'd noticed that my Friday drive didn't show me charging at home. I though that meant I hadn't gotten the whole data. But it looks like I did and the graph stopped once I got home. I hadn't noticed a brief drive to go out for dinner on Saturday night was graphed, but again when I got home it stopped. It's now graphing while the car is sitting in the garage.

So false alarm. Looks like a connectivity issue.

Ok I looked at the graphs in more detail and I think there was some sort of connectivity issue from my house to Tesla's servers starting Friday night and lasting until some unknown point (possibly this morning). This wasn't impacting other things like Slacker.

I'd noticed that my Friday drive didn't show me charging at home. I though that meant I hadn't gotten the whole data. But it looks like I did and the graph stopped once I got home. I hadn't noticed a brief drive to go out for dinner on Saturday night was graphed, but again when I got home it stopped. It's now graphing while the car is sitting in the garage.

So false alarm. Looks like a connectivity issue.

Well, that's certainly good news for everyone!

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but before I had VT running I occasionally had connectivity issues with the android app and the car when it was in my garage. I think the issue was that the car would attempt to connect to my wifi network, and would believe it was connected, but would then somehow lose connectivity in such a way that it thought it still had connectivity, so it would not switch to 3G. Perhaps something along those lines is happening for you too.

Hi.

I just installed this version of the application on my Windows 7 machine.

I have earlier used the other version from June 2014 until Februar 2015, but it did stop working for me.

I'm glad that most things seems to work just fine in the new version. One exception is that there is a mix of the use of 'km' and 'mi' in the different menus. Example:
- In the Overview tab it says:
- 'Ideal Range: 335.0 km'
- 'Odometer: 12345,6 km'
That is all correct for my usage. I prefer 'km'

But in the 'Trips' tab it says it uses 'mi' in some places, and 'km' in other places. But all numbers actually is in 'mi'. - I would had prefer it showed me all numbers in 'km'.
TripsTrips.jpg

I have looked all places that i can think of, but I cannot find any place where I can switch between 'mi' and 'km'. But I assume the application is supposed to get that from the car.

Any idea how to correct this? Or must it be fixed in the application?

I have looked all places that i can think of, but I cannot find any place where I can switch between 'mi' and 'km'. But I assume the application is supposed to get that from the car.

Any idea how to correct this? Or must it be fixed in the application?

Mine is working correctly, giving me miles.

As for overrides, there is an option to override the information being obtained from the car. That option is found in Prefs/Overrides, and then for this it would be Units.

Good luck.

I've got a scheduling question. I've gone through the VT docs, but I still can't figure it out.

I don't quite get how the charging scheduling feature works.

1) If I have my MS set to NOT use scheduled charging from the Charge display, the car will begin to charge as soon as I plug it in.

2) If I want to use the scheduled charging option in VT to start to charge at say 1:00 AM, and have the scheduled charging option in the car OFF, what's to keep the car from starting to charge as soon as I plug it in at 6:00 PM?

What's the right way to use the VT scheduled charging instead of the car's scheduled charging?

I've been using Visible Tesla for about a week and half or so and haven't had any issues. This morning I'm not able to login via the iPhone app to check the car (I've been trying off and on for 4 hours). It continuously says "Waking car..." but I have ALWAYS CONNECTED on in Power Management. I've tried logging out and back in to the iPhone app and also have rebooted the car, but neither have seemed to help.

Another interesting bit is that it shows the last 6 characters of my VIN in the iPhone app but shows someone else's car name: Reilly Tesla P85+. Very strange. Anyone seen this? I'm not sure if it's Tesla servers having issues or if it's related to my fairly recent use of Visible Tesla. Any thoughts?

I've been using Visible Tesla for about a week and half or so and haven't had any issues. This morning I'm not able to login via the iPhone app to check the car (I've been trying off and on for 4 hours). It continuously says "Waking car..." but I have ALWAYS CONNECTED on in Power Management. I've tried logging out and back in to the iPhone app and also have rebooted the car, but neither have seemed to help.

Another interesting bit is that it shows the last 6 characters of my VIN in the iPhone app but shows someone else's car name: Reilly Tesla P85+. Very strange. Anyone seen this? I'm not sure if it's Tesla servers having issues or if it's related to my fairly recent use of Visible Tesla. Any thoughts?

Okay, when I got home I checked Visible Tesla and it definitely was acting strange. I took a screenshot of the Trips screen showing 8430 miles but Range and SOC stayed the same and Energy was 0 (screenshot below). I logged out of Visible Tesla and tried to log back in and it just spins - this is probably what's happening to me in the iPhone app. I left VT off and I'm guessing after some time I should be able to log back in via the iPhone app. I'll leave VT off until then.

Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 2.50.10 PM.png

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but before I had VT running I occasionally had connectivity issues with the android app and the car when it was in my garage. I think the issue was that the car would attempt to connect to my wifi network, and would believe it was connected, but would then somehow lose connectivity in such a way that it thought it still had connectivity, so it would not switch to 3G. Perhaps something along those lines is happening for you too.

I did some debugging on this. I'd left it in this broken state and finally got around to investigating. The car would always lose it's ability to be reached by VisibleTesla and the Android App when on my home Wifi. The Android App would say it was trying to wake the car but would eventually say that the car could not be reached. The car definitely had internet connectivity through my Wifi. I was able to listen to slacker, visit websites. I checked with a whatismyip site to verify that the car was going through my local network for the web browser.

I then started sniffing the network traffic between the car and my network. The car would do normal network maintenance (ARP, DHCP), clock maintenance (NTP) and would constantly sit there trying to do a DNS lookup for vpn.vn.teslamotors.com. It was getting a response from my DNS server. But it would just keep doing the lookup. Other than the previously described traffic that's all you would see the car do unless you sat in it and used the web browser or listened to slacker.

I tried a bunch of different things on my end. Moved the car to it's own public ip for the NAT. Restarted my DNS servers. Dumped various abuse filters. But nothing made it work on my network. Until I finally gave up and rebooted the center console having attempted everything on my side.

After rebooting it again connects just fine on my Wifi and everything is working normally. So I believe there is some sort of bug in Tesla's VPN implementation, possibly specific to NATs that pops up sometimes. I sent a bug report to Tesla Service. So I'm pretty confident at this point in time that my use of VisibleTesla had nothing to do with this (or if it did it was just a trigger for a bug and not deliberate throttling on the part of Tesla).