Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Visor Mirror Light Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You probably have the engineering/ design issues figured out, but I would note that whatever spring loaded SPST switch you choose to use must have a long throw to accommodate any variability in the depth of the cover, mounting of the mirror, thickness of the double stick tape on the back, etc. Better that the 'button' sticks out a lot when open, then be too short to securely and repeatedly disconnect power.

JPP
thanks so much for the feedback. Will make sure the pin switch is consistent and takes into account the construction considerations you summarized........

Tapping any aspect of the 12v system would involve running wires from the headliner thru the visor hinge and thru the visor body with a hole drilled in the current mirror.......unlikely it is a DIY job and would entail install cost and owner concerns about rattles, etc. ideally, our solution will install in minutes and battery operated for a feature that is used infrequently for short amounts of time will be practical. The batteries are cheap when bought in bulk....open to further ideas if a 12v solution could be done.....

Tapping any aspect of the 12v system would involve running wires from the headliner thru the visor hinge and thru the visor body with a hole drilled in the current mirror.......unlikely it is a DIY job and would entail install cost and owner concerns about rattles, etc. ideally, our solution will install in minutes and battery operated for a feature that is used infrequently for short amounts of time will be practical. The batteries are cheap when bought in bulk....open to further ideas if a 12v solution could be done.....

Agree. Why a complicated solution when a simple one will work just as well or better?

Artsci,

I just had my first Ranger visit today. Both of my mirrors were broken, so Tesla sent him out to replace both of them with the new style visors. They are each a little bigger, by almost an inch, yet still fit nicely in the recessed area of the headliner (not quite as well, but good enough).
So, the Ranger says to me: "I don't know why they didn't bother putting lights on those. The wiring is there." :eek:

He rapidly popped off each visor (each held on by 1 screw under the cover piece). Removing the visors reveals a small access hole. He said the wire is immediately aft of the hole, and he tried briefly to pry the wire out with a tiny screwdriver, but he only worked on it for a few seconds. He said that it is definitely there, and that it is more easily found if the headliner is pulled down a bit. He said to take the A-pillar covers off first. He does not know if they are always hot or not, but insists they're there.

He also let me keep both of the old visors. The rod does indeed seem to be hollow. I don't know if a wire can be threaded through, as how would the wire come out? I guess if we ripped the visor apart, we would know. I may do that later.

FWIW, I had my S85 in last week for a routine 24k service. I requested an upgrade to the newer (still unlighted) slightly larger visors, which was done. They do help a bit, but note that they do not sit as flat as the old ones as the headliner was designed for the old smaller ones and not the current production versions.

And yes, artsci, still very interested in your aftermarket lighting solution.

FWIW, I had my S85 in last week for a routine 24k service. I requested an upgrade to the newer (still unlighted) slightly larger visors, which was done. They do help a bit, but note that they do not sit as flat as the old ones as the headliner was designed for the old smaller ones and not the current production versions.

And yes, artsci, still very interested in your aftermarket lighting solution.

are new headliners different to go with the new visors?

Count me in on this too. Lack of lighted vanity mirrors will be a deal breaker for my wife but as long as I can guarantee her something is coming soon, she'll accept it.

Is there really wire there that is unused that was intended for lighted vanity mirror when they eventually come out with them....if they ever do at this point?

Count me in on this too. Lack of lighted vanity mirrors will be a deal breaker for my wife but as long as I can guarantee her something is coming soon, she'll accept it.

Is there really wire there that is unused that was intended for lighted vanity mirror when they eventually come out with them....if they ever do at this point?
I'm just going by what the Ranger said. He said it is stuck down on the headliner, just aft of the opening. I will look at some point, but not likely for several weeks at least.

FYI-I have sent the Tesla visor/mirror to Hong Kong for prototype development. We are also looking at alternative battery sizes to keep size and weight minimal. We want the design of the visor mirror to be c/w the beautiful look and design of the car....
hello,
did the design of this product every go forward??
I am a director of operations with over 10 years of manufacturing experience and I also just received my new tesla last month.
I am also looking into having the vanity mirrors redesigned and produced. Just wanted to see if anybody had moved forward with this as of yet?
thanks