Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Voice Commands' in latest 2020.4.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
me too , latest update I hoped would fix but no better ,
Service center checked my car and replicated the problem so tesla are aware
I have asked if its possible to revert my car back to the software version before the new commands were added
which is when my voice control issues started

• Informative
Reactions: RDuke
With one of our cars, after we did the update, the voice commands didn't want to work. A reboot and a little time seems to have resolved that though. Also, know that the inputs have changed with this update for voice commands and not for the better either IMO. You now need to push the button and wait until it visually recognizes everything you said before you push the button a 2nd time or just wait quietly as it processes your verbal command. Hopefully they change it back to the way you could do it before where you can press, speak and press w/o waiting for it to process what you said. This is MUCH better IMHO especially when you have others in the car with you.

My voice commands are not working either. Will do reboot and see.
Use to say “take me to....” for navigation. Now I have to say “navigate me to.....”
Anyone else experience this?
Sometimes it just ignores me for all commands
Much worse
MS MCU1 - Voice commands hardly work after this update. Example voice commands (as per release notes) do not work. ‘Set temperature to 23 degrees’ responds with ‘Enabling climate control’ but does not change temp. If I turn climate control off, the command does turn climate control on but no change to temp.

• Informative
Reactions: RDuke and TexasDuke
Right. I have had the new update for 2+ days and have tried several voice commands. the "Natural language" trick seems not to work, and the whole voice command system seems to shut down after using it a few times. Interpretation of what i have said seems worse than ever. I have tried about 10 times to do "bug reports," and it might have gotten all the way through with correct interpretation once.
Having said that, I have been using the old method of holding the button down. If indeed we are no longer supposed to (not mentioned in release notes), then all my comments may be because i was doing it wrong. i will test some more tomorrow....

Tested voice commands after update the other day.

Nothing has changed about activation. Push button once, wait for concentric ring display, speak command.

Temperature adjustment (i.e. set temperature to 72) worked flawlessly.
Seat heater and adjustment worked flawlessly for one seat (didn't try multiples).
Lock or unlock doors worked flawlessly.
Pause music was recognized but nothing happened when streaming from phone.

Will play with it more.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Yep almost completely unusable for me (on MCU1). I tried for about 15 minutes solid all sorts of combinations of holding and/or releasing the button, speaking differently, speaking in an accent and who knows what. Nothing worked for me at all. I gave up in disgust and the last thing I did was I told it to get f**ed and it actually recognised the command, but alas still failed to perform my request.

Last edited:
With one of our cars, after we did the update, the voice commands didn't want to work. A reboot and a little time seems to have resolved that though. Also, know that the inputs have changed with this update for voice commands and not for the better either IMO. You now need to push the button and wait until it visually recognizes everything you said before you push the button a 2nd time or just wait quietly as it processes your verbal command. Hopefully they change it back to the way you could do it before where you can press, speak and press w/o waiting for it to process what you said. This is MUCH better IMHO especially when you have others in the car with you.

It should be noted that all three of ours cars are MCU1 and the above helped the one that wasn't functioning satisfactorily immediately following the update. All three of our MCU1 cars now function as designed for the most part. If you are having issues I would suggest a combination of MCU reboots and allowing proper time to sort of re-initialize things so that this aspect works better. Could be you got some busted code in your update but with the one car we had misbehaving I noticed an improvement following some random combination of reboots plus time and repeated attempts at various commands. Maybe it needs to sort of re-learn your voice again to track optimally or something. Dunno.

The other summary is that previously there were multiple methods to activate voice input. If you previously used the method that remains (press button, speak, wait) then you notice no change. If you used one of the other two methods previously (press, speak, press or press hold, speak, release) then you're world is turned upside down. We all have our reasons for interacting with the system the way we did and I think taking the options away is a step backwards regardless of which method you used previously. We want more options as we move forward and the software matures, not less.

Voice recognition doesn’t run on the MCU but on a Tesla server. Each time an update is released, everyone plays with it at the same time, and the server is not scaled for it. After a few days, it comes back gradually, until the next update. But with the increase of commands and active cars they should scale it better... or it will become permanent

• Informative
Reactions: David29