Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Commands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are people finding voice commands?

Sat nav appears to work ok but voice commands for the telephone appear very poor.

Over half the time it doesn’t recognise dial/phone and it’s even worse at recognising names. I’ve got to the point where I use Siri on my iPhone instead of the car!!

On the subject of the phone - can you answer or end a call hands free of two you have to use the touch screen?

Thanks.

2018 S
It used to be 'reasonable' but since last update I now have to hold the mike button for longer after saying a phrase. Even when it gets it right there is no action. Stuff like 'navigate home' no longer works and was reliable before. I no longer recommend the brand.

Reactions: MrBadger
No one has yet answered the OPs question which is also one from me. Can you answer, or end a phone call with a voice command or indeed, a steering wheel button? I haven’t found a way and find using the screen distracting. On another point, is there a way to change the rather low key ring tone?

I have only been able to end a call by pressing the virtual button on screen. But of course the person at the other end may break the connection.
The new 2020.4.1 update might have fixed my voice command problem. This morning it accepted and correctly set a destination. Fingers crossed.

I thought voice recognition was working better when it correctly heard me say “navigate to Mum’s” last night. It did initially display Mom’s but hen corrected it. I have Mum’s set up as a favourite and had used it the day before so I figured the car had intelligently and correctly worked out where I was going for once. I got within a mile or so when it told me to take the second rather than the first exit from a roundabout. I ignored it and was surprised by the convoluted routing it was offering. After reaching “Mum’s” I investigated further and discovered it had decided to take me to a destination called ‘freelance mum’ it had found on Google maps about 20 miles away. My mind boggles as to why this should take precedence over a programmed favourite. Mind you, favourites don’t seem to have any precedence when trying to phone them either...

optmistically tried to send a text, failed completely ofc but a fraction later the car freaked, beeped like crazy, and said it had steered to avoid an object - didnt quite get the message but that was the gist of it. Never had that before and a wide clear road so no objects to have casued the problem. Think Tesla might want to review some of this behaviour. (2020.40.1)

I thought voice recognition was working better when it correctly heard me say “navigate to Mum’s” last night. It did initially display Mom’s but hen corrected it. I have Mum’s set up as a favourite and had used it the day before so I figured the car had intelligently and correctly worked out where I was going for once. I got within a mile or so when it told me to take the second rather than the first exit from a roundabout. I ignored it and was surprised by the convoluted routing it was offering. After reaching “Mum’s” I investigated further and discovered it had decided to take me to a destination called ‘freelance mum’ it had found on Google maps about 20 miles away. My mind boggles as to why this should take precedence over a programmed favourite. Mind you, favourites don’t seem to have any precedence when trying to phone them either...

I had similar, but thankfully testing so didn't affect a route. Also got the 'mom' bit, how very Disney... not.

I asked it to navigate to my bothers name (actually brother and wifes name which was said in full) and it picked some business somewhere starting with my brothers name.

Which reiterates a recent question of mine. Can it navigate to a phone contact?

• Love
Reactions: mpandrew
My voice control hasn't worked correctly ever........ I've tried numerous times (and I don't have a strong accent) but every time it gets it wrong. Last night tried calling my friend "David Brown", said it slowly four times but am still waiting for it to find him in the contacts! It doesn't turn the wipers on or off, the heat up or down, nothing as yet.
My friend tried it for me and he got similar responses.
The whole voice thing still needs some work.

As I’m sure with many others, I am experiencing this is as a typical Tesla “enhancement”. On my Model S I had long ago come to terms with only being able to use voice for media, phone calling and navigation to. Now this is “enhanced” to not being able to do anything by voice at all. Just like AP2and 2.5 were “improved” from AP1.

Hopefully, after the next 17 updates, this will improve.

gotta love an optimist!

17 updates probably about right, but then the 18th one will break it all again

My MS 2016 is also useless for voice. But really so bad that obviously something is completely bust. This is not bad recognition but a more fundamental failure imho, i have worked in speech rec... So really should be an easy fix