Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voltage Offgrid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i wish powerwall would use the same grid voltage when off grid. my grid is 126V/252V. i feel the lower voltage (120V/240V) will cause devices on the verge of failing to not work... also, higher voltages lower the current in powerwall, so good for powerwall.

Why would supplying the nominal voltage the devices were designed for cause them to fail?
This. If you have 120v devices working above nominal voltage, why are you worried about them if the are forced to work below? As long as the voltage is in the devices rated operating voltage range they should be find, otherwise they are poorly designed and built devices and if you want to protect them put them on a double conversion inline UPS and/or power conditioning equipment.

Not in favor of the “my grid operates 4% out of spec so my other equipment should too” argument. Devices should be engineered with compatibility in mind, not blindly doing something because other equipment does.

Reactions: nwdiver
Lower the input voltage, the higher the current. Current causes heat and devices to fail. Also motors might not start with lower voltage, causing motors to burn up.
But again, 120/240 volts is nominal. It’s what everything is designed for. So you’re not running more current through anything that wasn’t explicitly designed to handle it. The fact that your house grid connection is higher is immaterial and not without its own potential challenges. Your post implies higher voltage is always better and easier on electronics and that isn’t necessarily the case.

@CrazyRabbit Power is defined Volts(V) x Current (I), and unless the voltage is wildly out of specification, the consumed power will be the same. Parasitic losses go as I x I x R (wire resistance). I do not think that there is any reason to be concerned. Do you have a specific concern?

Bottom line 120 +/- 5% is considered "normal", although I believe that the NEC only calls out a minimum of 114V at the farthest outlet in home use. You might find this discussion over at MikeHolt.com of interest;

All the best,

BG

Reactions: jhn_ and ucmndd
But again, 120/240 volts is nominal. It’s what everything is designed for. So you’re not running more current through anything that wasn’t explicitly designed to handle it. The fact that your house grid connection is higher is immaterial and not without its own potential challenges. Your post implies higher voltage is always better and easier on electronics and that isn’t necessarily the case.
True, but my stuff is use to the high side of the tolerance for US voltage. Running off grid at lower then my normal voltage could case something to fail. And if powerwall puts out 120V/240V at inverter, voltage at devices will be 2 volts lower if they pull much current.

True, but my stuff is use to the high side of the tolerance for US voltage. Running off grid at lower then my normal voltage could case something to fail. And if powerwall puts out 120V/240V at inverter, voltage at devices will be 2 volts lower if they pull much current.
You can pick a few loads you are concerned about and measure the current on vs off grid to see the difference. Frankly, I doubt you will see loads drawing much more current at 240V vs 252V. For large resistive loads (e.g. electric dryer/oven) you will likely see noticeably higher current draw with higher voltage.

You can pick a few loads you are concerned about and measure the current on vs off grid to see the difference. Frankly, I doubt you will see loads drawing much more current at 240V vs 252V. For large resistive loads (e.g. electric dryer/oven) you will likely see noticeably higher current draw with higher voltage.
I agree. Not more than (252-240)/240 or 5%... ;)

@CrazyRabbit To @ucmndd's comment, I have never seen a higher voltage (within specification!) to be an issue. We routinely move between close to 250V and 240V (long story). Do you have an example where 240V reproducibly triggers an issue?

All the best,

BG

You’re saying this, but I just don’t think there’s any reason at all to believe it’s true.
TRUE, except for resistive loads. AC motors use more current as well as switching power supplies. I haven’t checked heating elements, but they fall in the class of things I don’t care about, and long gone are incandescent light bulbs which were resistive.
You can plug a modern computer power supply into 240v and gain 2-5% efficiency over 120V…. Try it.