Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW Bringing Electric Minibus to Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S'toon

Knows where his towel is
Apr 23, 2015
AB
After unveiling a new all-electric and autonomous microbus concept called I.D. BUZZ earlier this year, VW is now announcing that it will bring the vehicle to production in 2022.

A slide that leaked from a VW presentation about its upcoming electric vehicles already confirmed that the vehicle was planned for production, but now the company goes public with its plans.

Volkswagen CEO Dr Herbert Diess said in Pebble Beach today:

“After the presentations at the global motor shows in Detroit and Geneva, we received a large number of letters and emails from customers who said, ‘please build this car. The Microbus has long been part of the California lifestyle. Now we’re bringing it back by reinventing it as an electric vehicle.”

The CEO says that the vehicle will be available at US dealership in 2022 and a version for cargo will also follow.

<snip>
Full article at:
VW announces that it is bringing its all-electric microbus to production in 2022

Screw Tesla! I wanna become a hippy and get a microbus! :p:D

Who would be the target market for this? I personally would rather buy a minivan than this lol

id_buzz_concept_7380-e1503177414880.jpg

vw-all-electric-microbus-production-2022

Who would be the target market for this? I personally would rather buy a minivan than this lol

id_buzz_concept_7380-e1503177414880.jpg

vw-all-electric-microbus-production-2022
Oh oh! Me, me! <waves his hand frantically>

By the time it hits the streets, you will have outgrown such immature thoughts!
No no, you got it wrong. It's not immaturity. I'm old. My first words were "God d***it" because my dad had a VW Beetle and it wouldn't start in winter.

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
It is not that far out, just 5 years ...
Except they've been teasing an EV Microbus for at least 6 years now.
vw-bulli-concept-jpg.123460

VW "Bulli" Microbus

Hopefully they finally follow through. There was a gas based Microbus concept they teased back in 2001 as well, after the success of the New Beetle.

volkswagen_microbus_concept_2001.jpg

Volkswagen has plenty of nostalgia to cash in on.