Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW Fallout: $2.0 Billion for ZEV Infrastructure Buildout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's like the fool looking for his lost keys under the street lamp rather than where he dropped them because the light is better there.
A used Nissan Leaf can be had cheaply and would be a good car to get around the city and to work if you had a place to charge it. Nobody is going to buy an EV if there is no place to charge it.
Something about chickens and eggs would seem to apply here.

You do realize there was virtually zero Public Charging when the Leaf and Volt were released, right?

Where did that chicken come from? The 120v egg at home. We were poor when I grew up, but we did have electricity.

Agreed. The state's written guidance to VW in February promoted H2 spending in the first cycle but did not demand it and seemed okay with it if VW deferred H2 until a later spending cycle.

Although most of the CARB members, various speakers at the last hearing, and apparently various written comments including some submitted by automakers urge H2 spending in the first VW spending cycle I'm doubtful that CARB will actually vote to block all or even part of VW's spending plan. I think this is mostly theater being queued up to urge VW to spend on H2 on the 2nd cycle beginning in late 2019. By then, it may become more clear that H2 is a near-term failure for ordinary consumer passenger cars.

I'm actually okay with some limited H2 funding aimed at fleets and trucking where the stations would be likely to be heavily utilized and where battery storage may not be as practical initially. I'm open to the idea that large-scale deployment of solar and wind may eventually result in scenarios where offline H2 generation is an economically sensible use of energy otherwise unusable by the grid. I suspect the scale of that generation is limited and not near-term and I doubt that general purpose H2 fuel cell cars with neighborhood stations makes sense in the next 10-20 years.
I generally agree with you on the applicability of H2. However, I'm skeptical whether electrolysis can ever be price competitive with today's market priced gasoline, even when the energy input is "free". You still need a lot of expensive equipment to do electrolysis and compression. In this cost model the equipment will be idle when there is no surplus electricity, so the utilization percentage is lower which increases the overhead and carrying cost going into each kg of H2. Maybe being paid for grid services by rapidly ramping power up and down and negative electricity prices will cover the difference?

Reactions: hiroshiy
Well, some pretty significant news coming out today. CARB just sent a letter to VW requesting some additional information about their first proposed spending plan:

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/vw_info/vsi/vw-zevinvest/documents/zip_supplement_request_052417.pdf

The text of the letter states that this was already verbally discussed in meetings with VW, and that VW is already preparing the requested material.

Highlights:
1. CARB wants more details of how the first 2.5 year plan fits in with the next three 2.5 year plans
2. More details concerning investments in disadvantaged communities.
3. Hydrogen plans in upcoming ZIP's.
4. Business model info, who owns the investments and who operates them.
5. Prepare a ZIP supplement with the requested information
5. ZIP Supplement to be posted on the Electrify America website, as requested below:

zip%20supplement_zps5zs8gqej.jpg

And now we are getting word of a GM Dieselgate scandal. Maybe GM will be kicking in the next $800,000,000 after VW's contribution. Sweet !

GM is being dragged into ‘Dieselgate’ scandal, customers file class action over ‘VW-like defeat devices’ in over 700,000 trucks

It doesn't really matter that there is no 'defeat devices' in any year Duramax from 2000 to 2017. There is a temp window for the cold EGR, alternator engage, and DPF burn. That is not illegal.

Shapiro needs to first create a villain, market the crap out of it, then boom. No proof is required. Juries hate killers even if they are innocent.

Trust me, no auto company is exempt. It has nothing to do with diesels.

Does anybody REALLY believe that after the VW scandal, GM made and sold emission defeats? Lordy.

Every car will get it's Class Action crap. It's now part of our economy.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
It doesn't really matter that there is no 'defeat devices' in any year Duramax from 2000 to 2017. There is a temp window for the cold EGR, alternator engage, and DPF burn. That is not illegal.
What you describe could be a "defeat device"... EPA and the courts will decide.

Trust me, no auto company is exempt. It has nothing to do with diesels.
So you are saying that all ICE car companies cheat on all of their cars?

Does anybody REALLY believe that after the VW scandal, GM made and sold emission defeats? Lordy.
I think the problem is that these vehicles were made and sold before the VW scandal. VW scandal was 2016. These cars are from year 2000 and later. 2000 < 2016
(BTW, I don't believe that any of the automakers have stopped cheating just because one got caught. It's just the cost of doing business.)

Every car will get it's Class Action crap. It's now part of our economy.
Those pesky consumers. Imagine the gall of them getting upset because they didn't get what was advertised and are suffering from the pollution. They should just learn to sit down and shut up and live in fear that we might cheat them again.

And now we are getting word of a GM Dieselgate scandal. Maybe GM will be kicking in the next $800,000,000 after VW's contribution. Sweet !

GM is being dragged into ‘Dieselgate’ scandal, customers file class action over ‘VW-like defeat devices’ in over 700,000 trucks
It isn't clear to me yet whether the civil law suit against GM filed by non-governmental lawyers will amount to anything. GM subsequently issued a statement flatly denying the allegations.

The Fiat/Chrysler action was initiated by the EPA, I think, so I assume there is some substantial factual basis to it.

What you describe could be a "defeat device"... EPA and the courts will decide.

So you are saying that all ICE car companies cheat on all of their cars?

I think the problem is that these vehicles were made and sold before the VW scandal. VW scandal was 2016. These cars are from year 2000 and later. 2000 < 2016
(BTW, I don't believe that any of the automakers have stopped cheating just because one got caught. It's just the cost of doing business.)

Those pesky consumers. Imagine the gall of them getting upset because they didn't get what was advertised and are suffering from the pollution. They should just learn to sit down and shut up and live in fear that we might cheat them again.

No, a jury will decide, and politicians. No science or engineers necessary. Remember we get H2 from a lantern battery and two wires in a mason jar of water according to CARB and the EPA.

No, I'm saying every car company will get class action suits, even Tesla. It doesn't mean anything was actually at fault, it just means we need more rich law firms, we are almost out. If that isn't clear, call 1-800-BadDrug and they will clarify.

I custom tune Duramax engines and have torn them down to the last bolt. I know exactly what is in the emissions systems and when they are on or off. It show up in my logs clear as day. And they self test.

If it wasn't their truck, it would be their hip replacement, or cellphone brain cancer, or vaccination induced autism, or GMO cancer, etc, etc. Did you know that if you open a can of hair spray marked FLAMMABLE with a can opener over a lit stove, that you can get $1.7m for that knowledge?

Or heck, Porsche sells you a car you REALLY want. Hard to get. Only for experienced racers, not intended for actual street use. Lots of warnings. You run out of talent at California Speedway and kill someone. Porsche's fault, even though there was absolutely nothing wrong with the car.

The biggest threat to EV's and autonomous vehicles is Class Action Law Firms. We KNOW Li batteries are highly reactive and can develop thermal runaway. We know that not all situations in driving have a perfect solution, sometimes least damage or deaths is the best outcome.

There is no such thing as acceptable risk levels anymore. It's all or nothing. Engineers must be perfect, but that's still not enough. If you make a tough choice, you will lose either way.

By my reading, none of this threatens the fundamentals of VW's actual first 2.5 year plan.

Yeah, thats my take on it too after reading the entire letter. The start of the period is just going to be delayed until the Supplement is sent to CARB, who will then presumably approve most or all of it.

I think VW has an out on the eventual H2 deployment. They can just say that they will evaluate the situation after 2.5 years and ramp up the H2 as best suited to the number of H2 vehicles deployed WRT battery vehicles deployed. There should be a pretty compelling case made that a minimal H2 investment should be made. Maybe even CARB will see the light by then.

The below seems pretty easy to satisfy...

zip%20supp_zps1vsxqgj8.jpg

RT

Last edited:
Yup, 6th largest economy in the world, fastest growing job market in the U.S. since the last recession, terrible business climate. All 40 million people about to leave because of this terribly poor governance. Uh Huh... :rolleyes:

RT

Eventually everybody will have 2 maids and a groundskeeper and their own personal Starbucks and McD's. Then all the jobs will be filled.

BTW - How did the 'temporary' toll roads work out? Or pretty much anything 'temporary' like sales tax % hikes. Or the promise to open more land for recreation if we paid more? Or cheaper electricity if we conserve?

California is the greatest state in the union IN SPITE of Sacramento, not because of it. Believe me, they tried really, really hard to kill it, but it's like crabgrass, it keeps coming back.

If you follow the following link, and then click on the "Electrify America Charging Stations Announcement" download, you can see a press release announcing the opening of the first 8 DC fast charge stations as part of the VW settlement.

Welcome to Electrify America | Commitment

Note that these are not in California, but in Washington D.C. Here are the first couple paragraphs...

ea_zpsdxqc6imt.jpg

So the first 8 upgraded DC fast chargers are now up and running. And it looks like 50 total "stations" (whatever that means) will be in place by September.

So then here in California, CARB has rejected part of the VW plan and we are currently waiting for VW's response to CARB before any actual work starts getting done. In the best case scenario, VW provides an adequate response and the ball starts rolling. In the worst case scenario, the back and forth continues, and the calendar keep rolling along with nothing actually accomplished. Could turn into another example of government bureaucracy at its finest.

A good reminder of why Tesla charged (pun intended) down its own path for the Supercharger network. Its going to be very interesting to see at the end of the first 30 month $200,000,000 investment period what ends up getting built out, compared to Teslas Supercharger network.

The VW money cannot be spent on a "proprietary" (i.e. Tesla Supercharger) standard. So they are installing Chademo and CCS stations. In 30 months, after the Model 3 is out in significant numbers, there could very well be more cars on the road with Tesla connectors than all other connectors combined. And Tesla's Supercharger network will no doubt be larger still than any other DC fast charging network, despite VW's contribution.

If any other automakers decide to "opt into" building cars able to use the Supercharger network, I could easily see a path where the Supercharger network, by default, becomes the most used network for long distance travel. Simply due to the number of cars produced and the size of the available network. I always suspected this might be the case. It will be interesting going forward in the following 3 30-month spending periods how the remaining $600,000,000 will be spent in California.

If other EV makers adopt the Tesla connector and are also able to Supercharge at Tesla stations, is that then by definition not a "proprietary" standard anymore? Could some of the VW money then be spent building out Supercharger only stations?

RT