Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW Fallout: $2.0 Billion for ZEV Infrastructure Buildout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Chicopee DCFC grand opening has been delayed until further notice. Here is an e-mail I received from the coordinator just now:

Sorry we have postponed ceremony for today.
The station is not public yet. Hopefully soon

Mike Moran

If anyone finds out what the issue was, please let us know. Maybe firing up and running a 350kW group of chargers isn't as simple as one might think. The guys over in Baker are learning the same lesson...

RT

Interesting wording. The station is not "public" yet... not that it's not "open".

I wonder if they opted to do some additional testing, etc... for some reason.

Miimura,
This is the article where I read about the Tesla specific connector being added:

First Tesla connector added to a public fast-charging station with CCS/CHAdeMO

I see in the Update section of the article that Tesla is on record as not having supported or authorized its use on Tesla cars.

RT

Too bad the screenshot for the video in that article shows a 104kW supercharging session... it makes it appear at first glance that's what that Frankencharger is capable of.

Reactions: transpondster
The layout if those cabinets and stalls is interesting.

It appears two charging spots are served by each pair of cabinets, with each cabinet primarily facing one stall. Each cabinet has two cables.

Apparently, with the mix & match of power capability (one cabinet has a pair of 350kW cables, another a pair of 150, etc...) it would seem that you could share one cabinet's cables by walking to the opposite side, and then pulling a cable around, but that would leave the cabinet facing you unutilized completely.

I'm at a bit of a loss to figure out what the intent for sharing here is, especially given the 350kW capability that's been espoused.

Reactions: MP3Mike
...As of January 2017, global sales of the Prius family totaled almost 6.115 million units ...
In the US market:

Toyota sold more Tundras (thirstiest/dirtiest pickup sold in the North America) than Priuses in 2017-2018.
Toyota sold twice as many Tacoma pickups in 2017-2018. This mini-truck with an I4 gets the same mileage as an F150 or Silverado Hybrid. The Colorado mid-size truck is the US truck MPG king.
So >3 times as many pickups as Priuses, all thirsty as hell.

Cleaning up their trucks to average emissions levels would have done more for the environment than selling Priuses in North America by a wide margin. It was easier to do Prius route due to lobbying efforts by Toyota.

Globally:

Cumulative sales of Priuses isn't that grand. Over 7 times as many Corollas have been sold. In 13 years alone, there were more Mercedes C class sedans sold. Do you also believe it's the best selling EV like most people polled do? Because 6 million in global sales of an ICE sedan in 2 decades isn't setting any records.

Last edited:
The layout if those cabinets and stalls is interesting.

It appears two charging spots are served by each pair of cabinets, with each cabinet primarily facing one stall. Each cabinet has two cables.

Apparently, with the mix & match of power capability (one cabinet has a pair of 350kW cables, another a pair of 150, etc...) it would seem that you could share one cabinet's cables by walking to the opposite side, and then pulling a cable around, but that would leave the cabinet facing you unutilized completely.

I'm at a bit of a loss to figure out what the intent for sharing here is, especially given the 350kW capability that's been espoused.
I'm particularly interested in whether the 150kW and 350kW hardware can split the cabinet's power to the two cables simultaneously. That would be a huge improvement over the 50kW stations we have today.

Reactions: hiroshiy
FYI, the 2017 annual report is now available on the EA website. I'm about 18 pages into the 42 page report, and this gem is too good to pass up without immediate posting:

ea1_zpsm0knx9o8.jpg

In what alternate universe is there not a deployed ultra-fast DC fast charging network in North America? :confused:

RT

But those are Super chargers, not ultra-fast chargers.... :)

If a tree falls in the forest, and there is no one around to hear it, does it make any sound?

If you build a 350kW charger, and there are no cars that can charge at that level, is it really ultra-fast?

Inquiring minds want to know...

RT

P.S. In all seriousness, the rest of the report does sound promising. Doing their homework WRT finding good DCFC sites (in California). Ordering up all 605 DCFCs, hiring a contractor to do the DCFC installs, and also coordinating the L2 charger installation. It will be good to see some of these going in this year, so we can get a feel for whether they are living up to the potential that $200,000,000 should provide.

Reactions: hiroshiy and Jeff N
If a tree falls in the forest, and there is no one around to hear it, does it make any sound?

If you build a 350kW charger, and there are no cars that can charge at that level, is it really ultra-fast?

Inquiring minds want to know...

RT

P.S. In all seriousness, the rest of the report does sound promising. Doing their homework WRT finding good DCFC sites (in California). Ordering up all 605 DCFCs, hiring a contractor to do the DCFC installs, and also coordinating the L2 charger installation. It will be good to see some of these going in this year, so we can get a feel for whether they are living up to the potential that $200,000,000 should provide.
Can you tell IF there will be any installation going to the work place? To charge during the work day - what do we call that Level 2?
Or to apartment/condo.

Black & Veatch was also contracted by Recargo to build their CEC funded sites in California. Those sites were allegedly started, but there is nothing on Plugshare indicating people have seen them under construction. Now that I have my Model 3, I'm much less motivated to go looking for these sites.

Now that I have my Model 3, I'm much less motivated to go looking for these sites.

Though completely obvious to anyone owning a Tesla, it certainly bears repeating...

Anyone driving long distances around California in a Tesla has practically no use case for ever using anything but a Tesla Supercharger on road trips for fast charging. And since Tesla EVs are the biggest sellers, and gaining market share even faster with the Model 3 rollout, it is very likely the deployed DCFC network being built by EA will see a very small fraction of the use that the Tesla Supercharger network sees. Tesla Supercharging then by default becomes the defacto standard obsoleting everything else.

If you don't understand the above paragraph, reread it again and give it some thought. ;)

RT

P.S. I mostly am following up on this as I am the OP, and once thought that the $200,000,000 could jump start the acceptance of lower range EVs that could fast charge. Now I'm driven by the need to justify my level of cynicism that EA can even pull this off and roll out a viable competitor to Tesla's network.

Pricing, charging speed, ease of use and many other things will go on display in Chicopee on Wednesday barring another delay. If it turns into a complete meltdown, literally or figuratively, I will open up a bottle of my favorite red blend and drink a toast to the latest Tesla Killer to die a completely foreseeable miserable death.

@RubberToe - I agree 100% with what you said. The only reason I care at all is that I will be keeping my RAV4 EV that has the aftermarket CHAdeMO on it. I'm not going to take the TM3 camping, so I still have some vested interest in the DCFC networks that have been promised. I mentioned Recargo because they were awarded the CEC sites on 101 between the Bay Area and SoCal. The 130 mile DCFC gap between Salinas and San Luis Obispo desperately needs to be filled.

@RubberToe ... The 130 mile DCFC gap between Salinas and San Luis Obispo desperately needs to be filled.

Plugshare shows Paso Robles (Cool Hand Luke's) and King City (Lawrence’s Restaurant) between the two cities. Right now King City is probably down. But you should still make it since Paso Robles is up. If both are operational, it's a 50 mile max gap. This is assuming a Toyota is similar to a GM EV, where you can easily exceed the highway range by 20-30% (yesterday my loop was 31% higher than EPA range, but I gotz mad freeway hypermiling skillz).

The chargers up that strip were set to 50 mile intervals it seems. There is J1772 backup and 14-50.

EDIT - DOH!! I'm an idiot. I didn't turn off the CCS filter. You're right CHAdeMO would have to be augmented with some J1772 or 14-50 for a CHAdeMO car.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Brando