Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW Fallout: $2.0 Billion for ZEV Infrastructure Buildout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plugshare shows Paso Robles (Cool Hand Luke's) and King City (Lawrence’s Restaurant) between the two cities. Right now King City is probably down. But you should still make it since Paso Robles is up. If both are operational, it's a 50 mile max gap. This is assuming a Toyota is similar to a GM EV, where you can easily exceed the highway range by 20-30% (yesterday my loop was 31% higher than EPA range, but I gotz mad freeway hypermiling skillz).

The chargers up that strip were set to 50 mile intervals it seems. There is J1772 backup and 14-50.

EDIT - DOH!! I'm an idiot. I didn't turn off the CCS filter. You're right CHAdeMO would have to be augmented with some J1772 or 14-50 for a CHAdeMO car.
Right. Not only are the King City and Paso Robles sites CCS-only but they are the 24kW ChargePoint Express 100 stations that are not very reliable. For the RAV4 EV with CHAdeMO, you have to drive relatively slowly and stop at a J1772 in Paso Robles (southbound) or King City or Soledad (northbound) for at least 30 minutes in order to bridge that gap.

The CEC North-South Corridor Grant to Recargo will be placing Chargers at Gilroy, Gonzales, Greenfield, King City, and Paso Robles. Caltrans also recently released a plan that will place DCFCs at rest stops, including Bradley Northbound and Bradley Southbound rest areas. That fills in the gap between the Recargo sites in King City and Paso Robles. Those rest areas are pretty much the only reasonable DCFC sites on that stretch. I was surprised at how well CalTrans chose their rest stop locations. Those sites were added to my map of California grant funded sites. Future Fast Charge Sites

Reactions: Ulmo and Jeff N
Right. Not only are the King City and Paso Robles sites CCS-only but they are the 24kW ChargePoint Express 100 stations that are not very reliable. For the RAV4 EV with CHAdeMO, you have to drive relatively slowly and stop at a J1772 in Paso Robles (southbound) or King City or Soledad (northbound) for at least 30 minutes in order to bridge that gap.

The CEC North-South Corridor Grant to Recargo will be placing Chargers at Gilroy, Gonzales, Greenfield, King City, and Paso Robles. Caltrans also recently released a plan that will place DCFCs at rest stops, including Bradley Northbound and Bradley Southbound rest areas. That fills in the gap between the Recargo sites in King City and Paso Robles. Those rest areas are pretty much the only reasonable DCFC sites on that stretch. I was surprised at how well CalTrans chose their rest stop locations. Those sites were added to my map of California grant funded sites. Future Fast Charge Sites
That's good news.

Pricing, charging speed, ease of use and many other things will go on display in Chicopee on Wednesday barring another delay. If it turns into a complete meltdown, literally or figuratively, I will open up a bottle of my favorite red blend and drink a toast to the latest Tesla Killer to die a completely foreseeable miserable death.

firmware%20flash_zpsjpqf6jmg.jpg

My last bottle of the 2003 Blackjack Harmonie is now opened up and breathing. It is looking more and more like I'll need to pop the cork on a second given the likelihood of a last minute "firmware flash" getting them to liftoff...

RT

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV
I will be curious--really curious--to see just how responsive Electrify America will be when their stations are in need of repair or routine maintenance.

From anecdotal evidence, Tesla is pretty responsive in repairing and maintaining their Supercharger sites. (Tesla could do a much better job in communicating availability and charging speeds at the various stalls, but that is another matter.) And Tesla does have the interactive map on the touchscreen and a pretty gosh darn good estimate as to the needed charge to reach the next SC or one's destination.

I wonder how the various manufacturers will be able to communicate to drivers the information that Tesla gives to us in order to be able to plan our trips and our charging stops. Has this even been discussed by anybody?

Reactions: ggies07
So Tesla is charging $0.23 per minute versus $0.30 by EA, and Tesla is delivering more power in those 30 minutes.

RT

This is Los Angeles SCE tariffs for EV stations:

https://www.sce.com/NR/sc3/tm2/pdf/ce379.pdf

This would apply to Superchargers with more than 500kW peak (at meter) demand hooked up to 2kV-50kV transmission lines.

The electricity can be cheap. The other fees can be expensive.

Note: What you are looking at is if you touch 500kW peak for any 15min in a month, it's $6150 demand fees plus electricity costs. Electricity is from $0.07 to $0.45 per kWh TOU with a 4 month summer.

Well they got it totally wrong. In Massachusetts Tesla charges $0.23 per kWh not per minute. (So if you are charging at 100kW you are paying $0.38/minute, but if you are charging at 20kW you are paying $0.08/minute.)

Mike,
You are right, Tesla charges $0.23 per kWh not per minute. So somebody check my calculations here...

A Kia Soul reported charging at 68kW (A Bolt reported 54kW), so for 15 minutes thats a total of 17 kWh.
Cost is $1 plus ($0.30 * 15) = $5.50
If a Soul gets 4 miles per kWh, the added range is 68 miles
Cost per mile of added range is $0.08

A Model 3 drawing 100kW for 15 minutes costs ($0.23 * 25kWh) = $5.75
The Model 3 gets 4 miles per kWh too, so the added range is 100 miles
Cost per mile of added range is $0.0575

RT

Reactions: hiroshiy and Jeff N
Well they got it totally wrong. In Massachusetts Tesla charges $0.23 per kWh not per minute. (So if you are charging at 100kW you are paying $0.38/minute, but if you are charging at 20kW you are paying $0.08/minute.)
You are so right about that. I effed that up! Sorry.

I’ve been caught up in distractions so I’m just noticing this now and will fix it.

Thanks for pointing it out!

I will be curious--really curious--to see just how responsive Electrify America will be when their stations are in need of repair or routine maintenance.
They say they have signed maintenance contracts which require their contractors to repair broken or impaired charging equipment with 72 hours.

Thanks for the map ... :cool:
upload_2018-5-2_21-15-37.png

So Tesla is charging $0.23 per minute versus $0.30 by EA

Not withstanding discussion about the "rightness" of the figures/units, is Tesla charging per kWh added to the battery (i.e. "destination") whereas EA is charging per delivered kWh (i.e. from "Source")?

That would distort the figures too (and on the face of it appear to be in EA's favour, in marketing material, I suppose ... )

Reactions: MP3Mike