Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW Fallout: $2.0 Billion for ZEV Infrastructure Buildout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep - so they have two installations of two stalls with four cables. So it seems that to use 350kW, you really have to use one stall (no surprise), and the other stall is a 50kW Chademo and a 150kW CCS, but that the 350kW side also has another 150kW cable? It's the fourth cable I don't get.

So a 50kW Chademo and a 350kW on one stall, and a 350kW and a 150kW on the other stall.

On the other pair, both stalls have a 150kW cable and a 350kW cable.

And I agree on the usefulness of the 350KW chargers... odd that they aren't at least a shared infrastructure.
Seems weird and awkward.
I'm willing to bet that details are still missing and confused. Welcome to the era of Internet Journalism.

Just for fun, a little arithmetic:
350 * 2 + 150 + 50 = 900 kW maximum load
I'm skeptical, but it might help to explain the exorbitant costs of these stations

I'm willing to bet that details are still missing and confused. Welcome to the era of Internet Journalism.

I'm skeptical, but it might help to explain the exorbitant costs of these stations

That's slightly more grid power than a twelve stall Supercharger site, given Tesla's sharing architecture.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I expect it only takes one time when you pull up, plug in the 2nd cable, then look at the screen to discover that your cable is not going to go live, to learn not to do it next time.

I (in UK) haven't had a single public-charger experience that was straightforward(*). I have had to phone for assistance several times (e.g. even when I had the APP for that provider, but that Pump was not networked [go figure?]) and of those a number of occasions where despite saying they could the operator then failed to be able to initiate the connection remotely.

Looking at Plugshare 7 out of the 25 CHAdeMO sites in my area have a user-reported failure in the last month or so. I assume that not everyone uses / not all failures are reported on Plugshare.

My metric is that of Tesla's offering: "Plug in, walk away".

(*) admittedly [or, as you point out, because of my experiences?] 90% of my charging has been at Superchargers

Reactions: SageBrush
So a 50kW Chademo and a 350kW on one stall, and a 350kW and a 150kW on the other stall.

On the other pair, both stalls have a 150kW cable and a 350kW cable.

It doesn't appear that way based on the GCR article @SageBrush posted:

"Unit 1 accommodates CHAdeMO or 150 kw CCS. Units 2 and 4 are dual headed 350 kw CCS. And Unit 3 is dual headed 150 kw CCS. The dual headed CCS units can only charge one car and the dual cables are designed to reach either the front or the back of a car and are never intended to be plugged into two cars at the same time."

Looks like the 350KW cables are limited to 2 stalls, and they aren't shared at all... even with each other.

It's possible to run two 350kW CCS and 2 150kW CCS at the same time. = 1,000 kW maximum load.

(2 chargers with 350kW supply, and 2 cables each
1 charger with 150kW supply and 2 cables
1 charger with 150kW supply and 1 150kW CCS cable, and one 50kW Chademo cable)

4 stalls, 4 350kW cables => use 350kW at any stall, 2 at time max
4 stalls, 3 150kW cables => use 150kW at any stall (with a bit of a stretch to one of them) 4 max (2 from 150kW, and 2 from 350kW)
1 50kW Chademo cable => use at 2 of the stalls (with a bit of a stretch to one of them) 1 max

If the 350kW chargers can't split power to more than one vehicle, I see absolutely no good reason for them to have more than one connector. However, I suspect that the manufacturer intends to provide the ability to split the power sometime in the future. However, it appears that EA has botched the installation so that it's not possible to park more cars next to the pedestals to take advantage of that possible future feature. Fail.

The problem with high kW DCFCs is the increasing acceptance and rates of Demand Metering. This is where the peak kW number during a month is most the electric bill. The actual kWh is cheaper.

Unless that is resolved, it might not be cost effect to remote charge at fast rates.

Reactions: hiroshiy
The problem with high kW DCFCs is the increasing acceptance and rates of Demand Metering. This is where the peak kW number during a month is most the electric bill. The actual kWh is cheaper.

Unless that is resolved, it might not be cost effect to remote charge at fast rates.
That's not our problem, it's Electrify America's problem. They have also acknowledged it in their public filings by saying that certain locations will have battery storage to reduce grid impact and lower demand charges. However, until there are cars on the road that can pull more than the 50-70kW that the current CCS cars can manage, they don't have much to worry about.

That's not our problem, it's Electrify America's problem. They have also acknowledged it in their public filings by saying that certain locations will have battery storage to reduce grid impact and lower demand charges. However, until there are cars on the road that can pull more than the 50-70kW that the current CCS cars can manage, they don't have much to worry about.

It's employers, Tesla's, and all other DCFC car's problem. No employer is going to pay $400 a month to charge your car, and they legally would have include that in your wages. Commuting is not deductible. So paying for an employee's commute is wages.

It's employers, Tesla's, and all other DCFC car's problem. No employer is going to pay $400 a month to charge your car, and they legally would have include that in your wages. Commuting is not deductible. So paying for an employee's commute is wages.
All of that may be true, but has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, the VW settlement infrastructure buildout.

All of that may be true, but has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, the VW settlement infrastructure buildout.

Folks squawked about 'not enough' plugs at DCFC stations that are in progress or planned. A lot of has to do with Demand Metering. As well as stopping things like 350kW charging. $2000+$5561.50 per month for one 350kW connector here. Each additional is another $5561.50 per connector.

This does not include electricity used.

If you take a cynical view and think that VW doesn't actually care about this network beyond the settlement, then they may not care about demand charges. It is probably a creditable O&M cost that counts for their mandated spend. When the network nears completion, it is getting more use, and they need it to break even, THEN they can add batteries to mitigate demand charges. Like I said above, there is little point now when the usage is so light, there are no cars available to pull more than 70kW, and they essentially write it off.

If you take a cynical view and think that VW doesn't actually care about this network beyond the settlement, then they may not care about demand charges. It is probably a creditable O&M cost that counts for their mandated spend. When the network nears completion, it is getting more use, and they need it to break even, THEN they can add batteries to mitigate demand charges. Like I said above, there is little point now when the usage is so light, there are no cars available to pull more than 70kW, and they essentially write it off.
Does VW pay the O&M charges ?

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
If the 350kW chargers can't split power to more than one vehicle, I see absolutely no good reason for them to have more than one connector.

The only reason is to allow the cable to reach either the front or back of the stall. Not just so you don't have to back in, but because you have to accommodate the charge port being in any location of a car. (Since there is standard for where the charge port is located on cars.)

The only reason is to allow the cable to reach either the front or back of the stall. Not just so you don't have to back in, but because you have to accommodate the charge port being in any location of a car. (Since there is standard for where the charge port is located on cars.)
All that money to save some driver the inconvenience of backing up the car (which some people like me do by preference) ?

Hard to believe. I"ll stick for now with my suspicion that the reporting is inaccurate.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
All that money to save some driver the inconvenience of backing up the car (which some people like me do by preference) ?

Hard to believe. I"ll stick for now with my suspicion that the reporting is inaccurate.

What if the charge port is on the rear right corner, and the charger is on the left side at the back of the stall? (No amount of positioning the car would make it work without a very long cable that they aren't going to do.)

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
If the 350kW chargers can't split power to more than one vehicle, I see absolutely no good reason for them to have more than one connector. However, I suspect that the manufacturer intends to provide the ability to split the power sometime in the future. However, it appears that EA has botched the installation so that it's not possible to park more cars next to the pedestals to take advantage of that possible future feature. Fail.

This was the reason in the aforementioned article: "...he dual cables are designed to reach either the front or the back of a car and are never intended to be plugged into two cars at the same time...".

Now, I'm with you on if that's a good reason... Although I suppose it's possible that a 350KW rated cable, even if liquid cooled, has some length limitations.