Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW ID.3 beats Tesla model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bjorn Nyland tested the ~ 60 kWh battery ID.3 and managed ~ 170 miles using the entire battery on a drive in temperate weather at 70 mph (113 kph).
It's 120km/h (~75mph).
And so another 'Tesla killer' bites the dust. VW must have loved the GF Berlin and Battery day news.
On the Model 3 SR+ he got 160 miles (see video posted earlier).

Reactions: Just a Reader
The ID3 looks like a pretty decent car, the main criticisms look like cheap interior finish. I dont think it is directly comparable to a model 3 though, the only reason people are is because there are still so few EVs around.
The ID3 is a small european style hatchback, so compare it to a Golf, Civic, or any other hatchback in the same class.
The M3 is comparable to things like a BMW 3, Audi 4, Mercedes C when you look at size, price and performance.

The ID3 is too small and too slow to be compared, it is targeting a totally different market sector IMO.
The ID.3 is actually bigger than the Golf, and (due to the smaller drive train and longer wheel base) has about the cabin space of a VW Passat. The exterior dimensions are deceiving, similarly to the Model 3 which also looks smaller than it is. It is slower than the Model 3, but I wouldn't call it "too slow" (0-100km/h in 7.3s), especially considering that the car is much less expensive. The dual motor version that's coming next year will be faster.
Even the ID4 is a struggle to compare to a MY, though probably a bit closer. The ID4 seems to be going after the Rav4, CRV. Again, it is too slow to be compared to a MY.
Yes, they primarily need to convince gas car buyers, since otherwise they will never sell the numbers they are targeting. But I think it's naive to assume that it won't also steal some market share from Tesla, since performance isn't a high priority for most mainstream buyers.

The ID.3 is actually bigger than the Golf, and (due to the smaller drive train and longer wheel base) has about the cabin space of a VW Passat. The exterior dimensions are deceiving, similarly to the Model 3 which also looks smaller than it is. It is slower than the Model 3, but I wouldn't call it "too slow" (0-100km/h in 7.3s), especially considering that the car is much less expensive. The dual motor version that's coming next year will be faster.
Yes, they primarily need to convince gas car buyers, since otherwise they will never sell the numbers they are targeting. But I think it's naive to assume that it won't also steal some market share from Tesla, since performance isn't a high priority for most mainstream buyers.

Yes exactly I think it hits that spot to convince a lot of gas car buyers. I had a 64kwh eniro and it actually did the stated range as advertised on trips but it did lack features that the petrol version had for much less and still less could have even more features. When you get to the £35k mark it becomes more attractive mainstream. Forget speed and style for a second and look at the Model 3. It was advertised on the website here for what seemed years at $35,000 or £27,000 but when it hit UK shores for some reason even still with £3500 grant at the time ended up being £39,000 on the road and now its more £42,000+. This for most every day people its right in luxury territory. So this also makes the ID3 a very interesting proposition. You are right its slightly bigger than a golf top spec is £33,460. Now granted the ID3 is a little bit bigger and its still £1,000 more but closes that gap to making an EV much less of a premium. So with market value you could say the ID is one of the first cars in its class to make an EV as affordable as its ICE equivalent even with new tech. I think for Europe this will show fast and I think this will also push Tesla into making that smaller car to go head to head. But EV's need to hit the £23,000 entry area in this class. A base model like this needs to arrive. I think it is fair to compare this to a golf, its close. However every single Tesla is a high performance sports car, there is no slow version just faster and plaid.

Its early in the day, dont like to post when the sun shines, and nobody
really cares about the VW marketing. VW,BMW and mecredes sell cars
on brand. The big three are now going electric and this will only help
tesla. I call them want-to-be EV's. It's almost everything.
Sort of the dark bar thing and you wake up the next day and say how do I fix this.
The great thing is I have my car, my post is random, data presented is useless.
It's a leaf, water proves it.
carry on.

Yes exactly I think it hits that spot to convince a lot of gas car buyers. I had a 64kwh eniro and it actually did the stated range as advertised on trips but it did lack features that the petrol version had for much less and still less could have even more features. When you get to the £35k mark it becomes more attractive mainstream. Forget speed and style for a second and look at the Model 3. It was advertised on the website here for what seemed years at $35,000 or £27,000 but when it hit UK shores for some reason even still with £3500 grant at the time ended up being £39,000 on the road and now its more £42,000+. This for most every day people its right in luxury territory. So this also makes the ID3 a very interesting proposition. You are right its slightly bigger than a golf top spec is £33,460. Now granted the ID3 is a little bit bigger and its still £1,000 more but closes that gap to making an EV much less of a premium. So with market value you could say the ID is one of the first cars in its class to make an EV as affordable as its ICE equivalent even with new tech. I think for Europe this will show fast and I think this will also push Tesla into making that smaller car to go head to head. But EV's need to hit the £23,000 entry area in this class. A base model like this needs to arrive. I think it is fair to compare this to a golf, its close. However every single Tesla is a high performance sports car, there is no slow version just faster and plaid.

You seem to love the ID3, which is great to hear !!!
I found a forum for you that will be much more engaging for this type of enthusiasm.
Volkswagen ID Forum

You’re welcome !

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and Watts_Up
I do find it quite funny how VW is being criticised for the software not being completely ready. Just as if Tesla weren't the king of bananaware: pay us thousands and we will deliver the functionality later OTA - or not at all. OTA, jointly with reduced charging rates and other rather unwelcome tweaks.

There is a difference. The OTA updates Tesla delivered later were added features that weren’t promised. When I bought my M3, sentry mode was not even heard of.
Not sure that’s apples to apples comparison...

Reactions: SageBrush
I do find it quite funny how VW is being criticised for the software not being completely ready. Just as if Tesla weren't the king of bananaware: pay us thousands and we will deliver the functionality later OTA - or not at all. OTA, jointly with reduced charging rates and other rather unwelcome tweaks.

I would say yes its a bit of a harsh one here going through many Tesla updates myself. Tesla want your believe in their future. If the big software rewrite arrives this year or at the very least a demo then GG. That might make up for the 2019 full self driving no show old school days ahhh well it sold it to me. I think none of these manufacturers are working on any sort of reliable timeline with AI & FSD. Tesla add the hardware and say it will do this in the future on this hardware like HW 3.0 "Full self driving computer" You pay up front for this. VW more conservative but they could be right also. Why? Well add in the FSD when the system is ultimately ready. If that is in 2025 well you are most likely be buying a new car anyway or refinance. Maybe by then you will trade in your VW for the full self driving Tesla? Lets see who is first they are all working on this tech. I hope 2021 is the year of at least level 4 autonomy demonstrations.

OMG what have I started here.

For bottom readers : Update
1. Tesla Forum Duh
2. Sex has not been proven better in an ID.3
3. I have a screaming hot partner
4. would you all line some cheese with the wine
5. I will race any EV for title anytime, lets go (VW)
6. Most experts say German software is way behind the times (4-6 years)
7.We love you all for promoting Tesla
It does not float I assume, it all for silly fun

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier
OMG what have I started here.

For bottom readers : Update
1. Tesla Forum Duh
2. Sex has not been proven better in an ID.3
3. I have a screaming hot partner
4. would you all line some cheese with the wine
5. I will race any EV for title anytime, lets go (VW)
6. Most experts say German software is way behind the times (4-6 years)
7.We love you all for promoting Tesla
It does not float I assume, it all for silly fun

8. Will it blend?

Do you even have an EV? want to run for pink slips ?

Reactions: M109Rider

Do you have an EV and want to run for pink slips ?

Funny when I got my Model 3 (9 months after 1st deliveries. I was missing the following:

Blind spot warning
Heated rear seats
No driver profiles
Auto wipers that did not work
Cruise that had to be adjusted on touch screen
All of which were fixed in updates. So I would cut VW some slack.

I still have annoying brake checks when using cruise on the interstate.

The gatekeeping is very amusing.

You can make a thread to make fun of a competing vehicle, but you're not allowed to praise it. Tesla is the best, forever.

M-One2-Rider's rules.

You're welcome to praise it- the problem was that one dude who kept praising it for things that simply weren't true.

Denying the launch had been delayed- when such was widely reported and admitted by VW themselves.

Denying there were (and still are) significant software problems- when such was widely reported and admitted by VW themselves.

Denying it was launched without everything being ready when VW themselves told owners not everything was ready and giving them the option to push off taking ownership until it was (and still isn't).

Denying any fit/finish problems- when multiple reviews of the car all cited them.

Even funnier when he also tried to tell us how great the ID.4 was too when those aren't even available yet.

Likewise if someone wants to praise the polestar 2 as another example of a legacy company (kinda) finally producing a worthwhile EV they're free to- long as they don't try to deny the fact they just had to recall every one ever sold for...software problems.

While we're at it- Hyundai and Kia make pretty respectable small EVs as well... though they're unable to secure enough battery to produce them in large numbers... (Ford apparently has a similar issue with the Mach E though we haven't seen reviews of production models to know how much we ought care they're not making a ton of em).

The bolt isn't a bad car either if you can get one cheap enough... (the recent Costco lease deal where you could get one for $194/month for example was EXCELLENT for someone looking to replace an older ICE vehicle where they were probably spending a fair % of that in gas alone each month).