Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW ID.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I'm missing something, but a 58 kWh ID.3 would have an EPA range of roughly 231 miles, which is less than both the Chevy Bolt and the Hyundai Kona EV. And VW is selling the first 30,000 units for 40,000 euros each, which is $45,000.

That is inclusive of 19-21% of VAT ;-). We Eurolanders never see VAT-exclusive numbers when we go shopping...

I think (and am hoping) it will sell like hot cakes, even though I don't expect it to be really aggressively priced while they're supply-contrained (I mean, the Golf isn't supply-constrained and that isn't particularly cheap either when you see what fun French cars you can get for an equivalent price).

VW can certainly pull it off, and it'll do a lot more to make the car fleet in Europe less polluting than the E-tron (which is not really a Tesla killer but a capable vehicle nonetheless, and is playing to VW-Audi's strengths).

The Seat version of the ID is quite similar but somewhat better looking in my humble opinion - I've seen it at the Geneva show. However, it's the price and cell supply that will determine the VW's success rather than some styling details.

VW looking to get batteries... Maybe in 5 years or so
Northvolt secures $1 billion from VW, others for gigafactory; VW joint gigafactory also planned - Electrek
In a separate release, Volkswagen announced that it’s investing some €900 million ($1 billion) in joint battery activities with Northvolt. The automaker is acquiring about 20% of Northvolt’s shares, and plans involve a 50/50 joint venture between the two companies on a 16 GWh battery cell gigafactory in Lower Saxony, Germany.

Construction on that gigafactory would begin in 2020 at the earliest, with battery cell production for Volkswagen starting in late 2023/early 2024, with the ability to increase capacity to 24 GWh later on.

I don't know how many of you speak German but if you do check the following video out. This reporter from auto motor sport already got to drive the ID3 and gives a lot of information about the car :)

The auto-translate captions from YouTube aren't too bad! Does he say the ID3 can do a sustained 125 kW on DC fast charge?

Disappointing to see that VW is still hiding the entire dash, but I do love the hatchback design. If VW can keep to their price targets, this car will sell like hotcakes.

Good to finally get a look at the dash. Looks pretty much like its Spanish cousin, the SEAT el-Born:

tab0.resizedViewPort.scale.assetRootXL.jpg

Features/technology on the VW ID.3 1st:
- Full OTA
- Always online, allowing a range of services to be offered to customers through the cloud
- Live navigation and live traffic
- Sat nav
- Level 3 autonomous driving ready
- AR (augmented reality) HUD (Heads Up Display)
- Voice commands
- Adaptive LED matrix lights
- Full LED lights (interior and exterior)
- One-pedal driving selectable.
- Remote APP control
- Adaptive cruise control
- Lane keep and lane change
- Personalized user preferences
- DC (CCS ) charge up to 125kW
- AC charge on board 11kW
- Bat: 62kWh (58 kWh usable)
- Range: 430km
- Advanced double thermal management of the batteries with parallel liquid cooling chiller + radiator
- Battery heater liquid circuit
- Heat Pump
- Personalized ambient lights
- Cooled glove compartment
- Colour-contrast panoramic roof
- Free CHARGE (2000kW year)
- Email/SMS reading
- Welcome lights
- Emergency calls
- etc, etc

Reactions: Inside
The ID.3 feature list looks good. As long as the EPA range is something over 200 miles and the DC charging is not optional it could be competitive with the Model 3 on capability if VW can make the price competitive. But I suspect many of the features on that list will be optional, not standard.

Of course CCS charging stations are relatively limited right now in the US though the situation is improving. Still, the Supercharger network is likely to be far superior for the foreseeable future. For buyers who just want a commuter car, that doesn’t matter. But Tesla will has a major advantage right now because every Tesla can Supercharge which means every Tesla is a true road trip-worthy vehicle.

The ID.3 feature list looks good. As long as the EPA range is something over 200 miles and the DC charging is not optional it could be competitive with the Model 3 on capability if VW can make the price competitive. But I suspect many of the features on that list will be optional, not standard.

Of course CCS charging stations are relatively limited right now in the US though the situation is improving. Still, the Supercharger network is likely to be far superior for the foreseeable future. For buyers who just want a commuter car, that doesn’t matter. But Tesla will has a major advantage right now because every Tesla can Supercharge which means every Tesla is a true road trip-worthy vehicle.

The Model 3 is also larger and more powerful, with a nice glass roof as standard. The ID3 is probably going to be a decent EV, but I don't think it's really going to be directly comparable to the Model 3.

Kind of strange that many of these features aren’t available on any current VW, Audi or Porsche

Features/technology on the VW ID.3 1st:
- Full OTA
- Always online, allowing a range of services to be offered to customers through the cloud
- Live navigation and live traffic
- Sat nav
- Level 3 autonomous driving ready
- AR (augmented reality) HUD (Heads Up Display)
- Voice commands
- Adaptive LED matrix lights
- Full LED lights (interior and exterior)
- One-pedal driving selectable.
- Remote APP control
- Adaptive cruise control
- Lane keep and lane change
- Personalized user preferences
- DC (CCS ) charge up to 125kW
- AC charge on board 11kW
- Bat: 62kWh (58 kWh usable)
- Range: 430km
- Advanced double thermal management of the batteries with parallel liquid cooling chiller + radiator
- Battery heater liquid circuit
- Heat Pump
- Personalized ambient lights
- Cooled glove compartment
- Colour-contrast panoramic roof
- Free CHARGE (2000kW year)
- Email/SMS reading
- Welcome lights
- Emergency calls
- etc, etc

"Volkswagen of America has previously said that it does not intend to bring the ID.3 to the US, betting instead that American drivers would prefer the production version of the ID. CROZZ electric crossover."
Demand for the VW ID.3 electric car was so high, the system crashed

Well, crap. My wife just got a M3AWD, which we love. I am hoping someone will put out a little, zippy, shorter-range, city/sports car I could drive to compliment her M3. The E Mini Cooper is slow, expensive, and short on range. The ID.3 seems almost perfect, assuming it has snappy acceleration. I owned a GTI and loved it. My current car is a Subaru BRZ, and if they made it electric and a little more refined, I'd pay $10K more than I did ($27K + TTL).

Here's what I want:
Small 2+2, with the back seats only barely usable in a pinch, but able to be folded down to give decent cargo room in the
Hatchback
RWD
200 mile nominal range
0-60 in 5.0
Nice leather interior, nice entertainment/information system, nice soundproofing
$37,000

Does anyone know anything about the longevity of the batteries? Europeans are more likely to own a 40k car for 15 years, and if these batteries are anything like Nissan Leaf batteries that need to be replaced after 75k miles, then this puppy may be a dead on arrival for anything other than German employer subsidy schemes...

Looking at the e-tron: unlikely to be an issue that is as bad (if anything the BMC is very, very conservative on those cars). And the ID.3 battery does have an active cooling system, in contrast to that of the e-Golf.