Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW, still high on diesel fumes, thinks snowball EV can beat Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That doesn't really help. GM bought the technology in the Bolt from LG, but that doesn't make it a compelling electric car. It is about design, more than just technology. Where is the frunk in a Bolt? It's not there. Why not? Design. And it wouldn't make GM a leader in electric cars, if hugely successful, it would make LG a leader in electric cars.

Thank you kindly.

Porsche.

If such a DC charging network is operational and usable by 2020 I will be shocked.
Agreed, it is a big institutional change and an aggressive target. In theory, if they don't spend the money (in auditable ways) to accomplish those plans by the end of the 30 month period they will face financial penalties written into the legal settlement.

That doesn't really help. GM bought the technology in the Bolt from LG, but that doesn't make it a compelling electric car. It is about design, more than just technology. Where is the frunk in a Bolt? It's not there. Why not? Design. And it wouldn't make GM a leader in electric cars, if hugely successful, it would make LG a leader in electric cars.

Thank you kindly.

That's incorrect. While Lucky Goldstar builds the entire drivetrain plus many major ancillary components for GM in Korea, the electric motor is a GM design. The efficiency of the car is excellent - something the unappealing wrapper fails to reflect.

Sorry, no linked sources.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc
Show me a (potentially production) Porsche design (including internals) for an EV, and I might agree. But the VW shown clearly doesn't get it.

Thank you kindly.

What I wrote is that VW could 'do a Tesla'. Positive brand recognition (Porsche or Audi), good design studio, Halo PHEV already, money.

But, if it's been 6 years, and the best they could come up with so far are to Golf-based vehicles with average or less than average specification, the eGolf (performance inhibited) and the A3 eTron (all but badging inhibited). They are waiting as long as possible.

As time goes on, EVs become cheaper to produce. Most mfr's are waiting it out. Putting batteries in their existing line with little concern for performance or range.

Others bite the bullet, and do ground up efforts. Some do a blend.

The longer a car company waits to produce low cost EVs in quantity, the more profitable it will be for their bottom line. Toyota and Honda are waiting it out as are some smaller companies.

GM took an interesting approach. Instead of relying just on retail sales for the Bolt, they also engineered it to be an autonomous toolkit. And a Subsidy Rideshare car. And a Lyft/Maven car. Note the commercial level of base interior and reliance on cellular based navigation systems. Retail sales do not tell the whole story about the Bolt. It is possible for every consumer car on the road, there is 1 or more company cars. I have no current numbers, and GM is not talking. GM has at least 100 (1000?) doing autonomous training, they have Maven cars already,

GM appears to have no intention to compete with Tesla at this point in time. They have had their own game plan ever since they put EVs on the moon.

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
the electric motor is a GM design

What about Power Inverter Module,On Board Charger, Electric Climate Control System Compressor, Battery Cells and Pack, High Power Distribution Module, Battery Heater, Accessory Power Module, Power Line Communication Module, Instrument Cluster, Infotainment System?

But more to my point, look at the skateboard. A Tesla fits all those things in, and still has room for a frunk. The Bolt looks like a ICE car that someone magically converted to electricity. Without the battery I challenge anyone to tell that this is an electric car.

Thank you kindly.
2017-Chevrolet-Bolt-EV-powertrain-diagram-03.jpg

The longer a car company waits to produce low cost EVs in quantity, the more profitable it will be for their bottom line.

Perhaps. But that depends on the idea that making EVs is easy. That any car-maker can just replicate a Tesla, and they are good to go. We haven't seen anything like that yet. Many are producing EVs, so they aren't really waiting, they just aren't producing anything compelling and mass market. Mistakes in a mass market car are going to be outrageously expensive, perhaps fatally so. I hope that car-makers are getting their learning in now.

GM for example has traditionally prided themselves on their drive trains. They might outsource other parts, but the drive train stayed in-house. They are doing exactly the opposite for the Bolt. Where are they putting their pride on that car?

Thank you kindly.

GM for example has traditionally prided themselves on their drive trains. They might outsource other parts, but the drive train stayed in-house. They are doing exactly the opposite for the Bolt. Where are they putting their pride on that car?

Thank you kindly.

Do you ever do any research on topics before you post? Nothing in that paragraph's content is correct or on topic.

Thank you kindly.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher
The problem is that these companies have multiple levels of executive and senior staffs who's entire experience has been designing ICE for outsourced sub-system manufacturing and competing on narrow marketing measures.

Plus who are in high paying, powerful positions with massive budgets to protect and control. And they got there through a combination of smarts and political abilities.

Usually a pretty good way to compete in an industry with small margins and low capital efficiency.

Very much the wrong structure and leadership of your industry is undergoing massive disruption.

Reactions: SageBrush
And no we have devolved to the ad hominem portion of our program. No real arguments left, I guess. Plonk. Bye.

Thank you kindly.

'Perhaps' is such a persuasive rebuttal to well known facts that you directly refute.

"I don't believe earth rotates."
"Does this 24hr video from space refute that?"
"Perhaps. However dogs can get fleas, and pizzas are often round, and space videos require glue to hold them together. So they are useless data and VW and GM are one and the same. EVs will be $5 each tomorrow when production and demand jump to 1 million per day because this graph shows the cells and driveline will cost less than nothing by Friday."

Thank you kindly.