Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW will trample tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I take your word for it. (Assuming you live in a place where ICEs are in general more popular than EV). Where I live, it is the opposite case, EVs and hybrids sell better than ICEs. VW is selling more EVs than Tesla. VW and Tesla both have about 1/5 of the total EV market.

Where I live Tesla is known to be worst in class on service, (Google translate?):
Tesla møter kritikken – dobler antall ansatte
Bekymring: månedsvis ventetid på servicesentrene

Guarantee? VW best, Tesla worst:
Elbil: Hvem gir deg de beste garantiene? : Forbrukerrådet
ok, I'm not in your market. and you are not in mine. I'm pleased that VW has EV straight in some parts of the world. But in the US, which is a critical component of global market share, they do NOT.

VW = Farfromgooden
That isn’t fair! Long history of great cars. Bug. Microbus. Rabbit/golf. Scirocco. Jetta. One screwup with dieselgate.

As I mentioned in my post, the eGolf is a great car. And it may get great service in Norway, but not in US... largely because of our quaint dealership model, archaic attitude towards EVs and love of oil. VW makes great cars.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
That isn’t fair! Long history of great cars. Bug. Microbus. Rabbit/golf. Scirocco. Jetta. One screwup with dieselgate.

As I mentioned in my post, the eGolf is a great car. And it may get great service in Norway, but not in US... largely because of our quaint dealership model, archaic attitude towards EVs and love of oil. VW makes great cars.
A company started with the help of hitler and now caught cheating pollution safety standards and lying about it over and over is not going to get much sympathy from most.

Love how his ass is banned now lol.

The ONLY VW i have ever liked is the new 2018 polo, with that i mean the looks, i cant believe how VW actually managed to stop being so greedy and make a polo the size of a golf without raising the price. Other then the polo tho... i have no interest in buying any VW, and if VW do start making EV`s they wont be competing with Tesla at all... They r way to greedy to make good cars.

Reactions: RedOctober
ok, I'm not in your market. and you are not in mine. I'm pleased that VW has EV straight in some parts of the world. But in the US, which is a critical component of global market share, they do NOT.

Actually, not trying to feed the troll, but VW seems to have EVs straight in most countries in the world - apart from the US strangely. Look at Norway, the UK, Switzerland, Germany, the Netherlands, to name just a few important EV markets. The eGolf is doing very well there, owners seem highly satisfied, and the service network is dense and VW salespeople know about the eGolf very well by now.
The US car market is certainly a strange place to be when compared to other countries. All these horror stories I hear from US users about how bad their experiences at car dealerships are makes me wonder what is wrong over there. Over here, car dealerships on the whole are quite nice places to be and do business, independent of which manufacturer you prefer. Of course you can happen upon one which is worse, but in general, I have never heard similar horror stories about car dealerships over here.

A company started with the help of hitler and now caught cheating pollution safety standards and lying about it over and over is not going to get much sympathy from most.

While I agree about the emissions scandal, VW in general doesn't seem to have suffered too much, looking at current sales figures especially, even in the US. The general public seems to forget quite qickly. And how many Joe Averages actually know anything relevant about the history of VW/Porsche, especially the Nazi ties concerning the development of the orginal "Volks-Wagen" aka the original Beetle?

Again without wanting to feed the troll...

But: Volkswagen swoops on EV battery supplies in huge deal

I'm in agreement with Austin Powers I think we might start to see a divergence between US and EU / China. A lot of this might be down to the number of PHEVs sold here. A lot of the servicing safety precautions for HV traction packs are equally applicable to PHEVs, and many many dealerships are now trained up to do service on these vehicles.

I also think regional tastes will come into play. Setting aside the growth rate of CUV's, the lack of a hatchback could be a big downside here. Look at every country in Europe and EVERY single one's best seller for years has been a hatchback. If VW can get to market in 2020 with something Golf size/shaped (I.D.) in 2020, then the Model 3 will come under pressure here just down to this difference in body style.(IMHO).

Well, I live in Norway and want to buy a "long range", "family kind of type", small AWD EV, when it gets available.

I had high hopes for the M3 and holds a reservation, but I must admit I am loosing faith Tesla will be able to deliver any earlier then European/Asian manufacturers.

Well, I live in Norway and want to buy a "long range", "family kind of type", small AWD EV, when it gets available.

I had high hopes for the M3 and holds a reservation, but I must admit I am loosing faith Tesla will be able to deliver any earlier then European/Asian manufacturers.
"The Mission of Tesla. Our goal when we created Tesla a decade ago was the same as it is today: to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible."Nov 18, 2013

Mostly seems to be going according to mission/goal/plan.
Choices are a good thing, right?

AND YET - read this article for an overview of EV productions from the auto industry'
Big Auto, We Have A Problem — US Electric Car Sales Report | CleanTechnica

Last edited:
VW seems to have EVs straight in most countries in the world - apart from the US strangely. Look at Norway, the UK, Switzerland, Germany, the Netherlands, to name just a few important EV markets. The eGolf is doing very well there, owners seem highly satisfied, and the service network is dense and VW salespeople know about the eGolf very well by now.

The US car market is certainly a strange place to be when compared to other countries. All these horror stories I hear from US users about how bad their experiences at car dealerships are makes me wonder what is wrong over there. Over here, car dealerships on the whole are quite nice places to be and do business, independent of which manufacturer you prefer. Of course you can happen upon one which is worse, but in general, I have never heard similar horror stories about car dealerships over here.
I believe the US is the ONLY country that uses the dealership model of business? Does this explain VW poor showing in US?
Doesn't everyone else use "company" stores ??

Please, those out-side US, tell us if your car stores are company owned or do you have a (franchise?) "dealership" model?
Especially curious about England, Scotland, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand.

thanks for the information

Afaik, most countries have the franchise model, i.e. the dealerships are not owned by the manufacturer. Definitely the case in Germany and from what I gathered, in the UK as well. Can't say for certain about the other countries though.

Actually, here in Germany, Tesla seems to be the only manufacturer that owns their stores.