Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait for matrix lights? Model X Plaid being delivered within the week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All you have to do is look at your current crappy X led headlights to make the comparison. Or look at any pre matrix headlights beam patterns of the S. They've been posted a million times. The difference is so great you don't need to see them side by side.
I looked for about an hour on Google and here and can't find a single example comparing them. But I did manage to find someone with a recent pre-matrix M3 who called his lights "crap".

The current headlights on the X is crap. There's no comparison with the LED offerings (optional upgrade) from German automakers back from 2013s.
Yup. Corner illumination and illumination of the side of the road are both real, real bad, by luxury car standards, even compared to 15 year old adaptive Xenons

They're on par with my Tundra's LED lights, which are not adaptive, nor expensive.

I have a similar 339xxx VIN coming soon, and my SA claims my car has them. Many people have made the mistake of seeing the charge port and tail lights and assuming the headlights are upgraded as well though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's wrong.

Either way I'm done waiting. If my build looks clean, I'm taking it. As others have noted, there will always be something new coming. Part of the deal with these cars.
Can you post some pix of these headlights when you get a chance? This would be so helpful!

I have a Model X PLAID with an April 2022 build date. Here are some pictures of the headlights. I was also told that it comes with Matrix headlights. (Note: It's very difficult to get good pictures due to day time reflections)

20220420_164048.jpg
20220420_163610.jpg
20220420_163620.jpg
20220420_163649.jpg
20220420_163736.jpg
20220420_164048.jpg
20220420_164109.jpg
20220420_164123.jpg

I have a Model X PLAID with an April 2022 build date. Here are some pictures of the headlights. I was also told that it comes with Matrix headlights. (Note: It's very difficult to get good pictures due to day time reflections)

View attachment 795950View attachment 795946View attachment 795947View attachment 795948View attachment 795949View attachment 795950View attachment 795951View attachment 795952
Yeah those are definitely the old ones. The matrix headlights have easily-to-see round "bulbs" that have a golfball-like lens on them. Plus you'll clearly make out "rows" of light in the light field pattern.

Sawyer Merritt said June/July for matrix on X but that is a rumor. It will be close. You may have to cancel and pay the current price if you want matrix headlights. You can only put your car on one 30-day hold and that uses 1 of your rejections. I put my order on hold in mid-Feb. My car will be ready next week. So a hold will buy you 2 months.

We don't drive at night that much and our MS lights have been fine for the last 10 years. Now if I show up to the delivery and the car is fooked I will reject and get in line for another one. But if it's in good shape I will accept it. Otherwise, if I reject, I have to take the next one regardless of condition or I will have to cancel and pay the current price.

Sawyer Merritt said June/July for matrix on X but that is a rumor. It will be close. You may have to cancel and pay the current price if you want matrix headlights. You can only put your car on one 30-day hold and that uses 1 of your rejections. I put my order on hold in mid-Feb. My car will be ready next week. So a hold will buy you 2 months.

We don't drive at night that much and our MS lights have been fine for the last 10 years. Now if I show up to the delivery and the car is fooked I will reject and get in line for another one. But if it's in good shape I will accept it. Otherwise, if I reject, I have to take the next one regardless of condition or I will have to cancel and pay the current price.
I'm in the same exact position (next week), and have pretty much the same exact plan.

Yeah those are definitely the old ones. The matrix headlights have easily-to-see round "bulbs" that have a golfball-like lens on them. Plus you'll clearly make out "rows" of light in the light field pattern.
Correct description. I have the matrix headlights in my MYP. It's very obvious the difference. I dont have a picture to share but you should see plenty of pictures of them on this forum in the 3 and Y sections.

Reactions: StrayTexel
An update to let everyone know that I tried to get to the bottom of why I was told Matrix headlights were present on my PLAID Model X on numerous occasions, including from a service member.

Spoke with a a sales member and a manager today who apologized about this mix up and confirmed that there are no Model X's that have Matrix headlights. The sales rep indicated that there are no bulletins or any information anywhere about Model X having or soon coming out with Matrix headlights.

They are indicating that this was an honest mistake and that even though I did the right thing by doing due diligence before taking delivery of my PLAID X, there wasn't anything they could do now. Not sure what else I can do other than have a bad taste in my mouth from this experience.

An update to let everyone know that I tried to get to the bottom of why I was told Matrix headlights were present on my PLAID Model X on numerous occasions, including from a service member.

Spoke with a a sales member and a manager today who apologized about this mix up and confirmed that there are no Model X's that have Matrix headlights. The sales rep indicated that there are no bulletins or any information anywhere about Model X having or soon coming out with Matrix headlights.

They are indicating that this was an honest mistake and that even though I did the right thing by doing due diligence before taking delivery of my PLAID X, there wasn't anything they could do now. Not sure what else I can do other than have a bad taste in my mouth from this experience.
Thanks for this. Seems like someone really screwed up at Fremont. My only remaining question really is: can you get a retrofit? I'm sure we can't know for sure until the new Matrix-enabled MXs start shipping, but we should have SOME indication from the Model S by now. The Model 3/Y headlights are supposedly interchangeable between legacy and matrix (same physical shape and interface connector), but I've yet to see reports of anyone successfully doing this (either via Tesla or 3rd party).

There's always the physical/functional question, and then the policy-wise one. Hopefully Tesla will offer some sort of upgrade, for MS/MX at least.

But given their "honest mistake" they could agree to retrofit the matrix headlights when they become available.