Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting for CarPlay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla logo was not shown in the Apple announcement stream. I'm not sure they even consider Tesla a "major manufacturer" given their production numbers. I'm not sure Apple even announced anything new that we didn't hear before in today's stream. You're reading too much into it.

With that said, I hope CarPlay support comes ASAP (v7.2??).

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
We have CarPlay on a different vehicle and it's so bad, we disabled it. The top issues I have with it are:

- You can only use Apple Maps
- The music input source immediately defaults to Apple Music (which we don't use)
- Incoming text messages pause your music and starts dictating for all in the car to hear

In true Apple fashion, there's little choice in customizing how you want it to work - take it or leave it. I'm generally an Apple fan but I really can't see much benefit at this point.

Well said BoldSharpe!

Fundamentally, I don't really want/need carplay, what I want in iPhone integration is:

Ability to talk to Siri from the car's microphone

Ability to browse and select music on my iPhone from the Car's infotainment system

Ability to see notifications from my iPhone on my car's display (ideally the dashboard, not the 17" display) and request that they be read to me and be able to reply to them from the 17" display with at least some pre-configured canned responses and/or to call back the sender. --Much of that would be doable if I can talk to Siri.

Beyond that, everything else is gravy.

Reactions: xspace and ecrsail
:):)
The Tesla logo was not shown in the Apple announcement stream. I'm not sure they even consider Tesla a "major manufacturer" given their production numbers. I'm not sure Apple even announced anything new that we didn't hear before in today's stream. You're reading too much into it.

With that said, I hope CarPlay support comes ASAP (v7.2??).
The announcement stream was probably put together by one of the former Tesla employees who couldn't cut it at Tesla.

Well said BoldSharpe!

Fundamentally, I don't really want/need carplay, what I want in iPhone integration is:

Ability to talk to Siri from the car's microphone

Ability to browse and select music on my iPhone from the Car's infotainment system

Ability to see notifications from my iPhone on my car's display (ideally the dashboard, not the 17" display) and request that they be read to me and be able to reply to them from the 17" display with at least some pre-configured canned responses and/or to call back the sender. --Much of that would be doable if I can talk to Siri.

Beyond that, everything else is gravy.

I’d add direct cable capability vs. bluetooth....sound quality is worse via bluetooth.

Reactions: KaiserSoze
I’d add direct cable capability vs. bluetooth....sound quality is worse via bluetooth.

Yep. That's a very fair + reasonable add. Truth is, in my Prius v with Tech package I had actually started using a cigarette lighter socket USB to provide power to my phone rather than using the USB cable connection to the phone because I *hated* how the Toyota infotainment system interfaced with the iPhone over the cable. Some significant inconsistencies and just broken features, like nav audio from the phone coming from the phone speakers instead of the car's speakers, etc. so I've kind of gotten used to a bluetooth-only interface to my phone in the car.

Based on this this Musk quote:

“As we have sort of thought about it more, the logic thing to do from an app standpoint is to maybe allow apps on your iPhone or Android to project onto the center display, as opposed to trying to create a new app ecosystem. So that is probably going to be our focus in the future to enable you to project apps from your phone to the center screen.”

I am going to assume CarPlay and Android Auto are somewhere on the roadmap...

Back on topic.

Here's a very particular use case where I want Carplay.

When I'm on my way to a baseball game (and stuck in traffic), I like to tune in to hear the game. Usually, I go to AM Radio -- where most baseball is broadcast.

However, as I've just discovered, there is no AM Radio on Model X. And, I'd try and use TuneIn since I live in Los Angeles and every station is available, but MLB blocks out games.

One more option is MLB Extra Innings. I can get that through my iPhone and Bluetooth. But, it's also available and much more safely accessible on Carplay.

Reactions: bollar
Wow, someone posted an actual use case on this thread. inability to search spotify would be a major downgrade for European customers.. as would switching to apple maps for navigation... happy with built-in google maps. The filtering of sport on Tune-in is annoying and have to sometime switch to DAB (which is truly awful to browse on European Teslas).
I would think that the best way to go would be to screen mirror app for both Apple and Android (I favour Apple myself but appreciate the counter argument!). Hey Siri / OK Goole integration would be nice (set reminders / send texts / search web)... Agree in principle that Tesla spending time on UI development is not focusing their efforts elsewhere, but Tesla normally does a pretty good job on its own and I'd rather they looking into ways of utilising your phone's features rather than being constrained to the controlled Apple environment.