Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting on your 1st Tesla-vs-body shop repairs....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
So after found through what almost all of us do for several months after ordering our first Tesla, I have another agonizing wait that I hope I never have nor you. One week short of 2 months ago I had a skirmish with a deer. Neither of us won :(. I was driving 55mph with TACC active and a deer came from behind some close trees with absolutely no visible warning. The deer sailed off like a kite disappearing into the moon light. In any case almost 2 months later and we are still waiting on a simple bumper cover as the last of the repairs. I was told by my Tesla Certified repair shop that the bumper covers, both with and without sensors, are on complete back order and have been for some time. Still no bumper cover as of yet for me.

Moral of the story, waiting almost 2 months to get your Tesla back on your hands from repairs is more excruciating than the original 2 month wait to pick it up after ordering..... again hope you never have to experience this either

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888
As great a company as Tesla is, one glaring shortcoming is lack of replacement parts. I know someone whose MS has been waiting for parts for almost THREE months! Not sure why that would be so, because they make money on spare parts. Sorry to say that Tesla has been abysmal in this area of customer support.

As great a company as Tesla is, one glaring shortcoming is lack of replacement parts.
That's the problem with a low volume manufacturer, and JIT supply-chain. Also compounded by slightly changed part design over the production run - again at then very low volume. I overheard a conversation at the SC when collection my CPO where the tech was explaining to the guy trying to handle a car that he must get the VIN as there are 19 variants of the specific part being discussed ...

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I was in an accident on 11/14 and by 11/18 had estimates confirmed from certified body shop and insurance. 6-8 weeks estimated and even then I think it's conservative when you need both front and back end parts.

Get used to it. Tesla is still a boutique car manufacturer that is slammed with orders; difficult to schedule in runs of spare parts I assume until perhaps min qty is needed. Then tools are swapped for a service run. At least that's what I expect

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Not only do you not get a loaner car, most insurance companies rental cars coverage doesn't come close to the amount of time most Tesla's are in for repair.

I just Good news Friday my bumper cover is in and going in to the paint shop Monday (tomorrow). Hopefully my deer encounter is almost over.....

So after found through what almost all of us do for several months after ordering our first Tesla, I have another agonizing wait that I hope I never have nor you. One week short of 2 months ago I had a skirmish with a deer. Neither of us won :(. I was driving 55mph with TACC active and a deer came from behind some close trees with absolutely no visible warning. The deer sailed off like a kite disappearing into the moon light. In any case almost 2 months later and we are still waiting on a simple bumper cover as the last of the repairs. I was told by my Tesla Certified repair shop that the bumper covers, both with and without sensors, are on complete back order and have been for some time. Still no bumper cover as of yet for me.

Moral of the story, waiting almost 2 months to get your Tesla back on your hands from repairs is more excruciating than the original 2 month wait to pick it up after ordering..... again hope you never have to experience this either

Where are they storing it in the meantime? Is it outside? Is it covered so it doesn't get etching bird dung on it? My one experience with a car that sat at a body shop for a month was that the car picked up new scratches, dents, and paint damage from birds. Heck, even having someone else wash it could cause swirls. I think I'd have to insist it be stored at home until they actually had the parts.

Where are they storing it in the meantime? Is it outside? Is it covered so it doesn't get etching bird dung on it? My one experience with a car that sat at a body shop for a month was that the car picked up new scratches, dents, and paint damage from birds. Heck, even having someone else wash it could cause swirls. I think I'd have to insist it be stored at home until they actually had the parts.

It was stored outside for some time but I have head to toe suntek protective film and CeramicPro coating. It rinses off like a charm with no signs of wear & tear scratches or stains

For hail damage, or other minor dents if the dents are shallow, first stop should be a paintless dent removal craftsman. In Houston we have a lot of these guys, and it is amazing what they can do. Aluminum is not as responsive to their techniques as steel, but it is worth a try. To see how this works, watch some instructional videos on YouTube.