Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk away door/lock not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brand new MX owner. She landed late last night. Unfortunately I had to take delivery directly to my house so I didn't get the walk through at the dealership. Just curious if the walk away feature is one of the features the new builds don't have yet. I knew the features were going to be pretty limited until the software upgrade but I thought this was a pretty basic. So I'm a little nervous I might need to get it serviced.

Even more concerning is when I called Tech Support the agent put me on hold came back and said the vehicle doesn't have the ability for the doors to shut when you walk away. I directed him to the walk through video where it shows the feature in action. He then told me I must not have purchased that feature.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Mitch

Mine will only work with three taps to the top of the fob. It will not close up on its own... Should it be?

Triple click top FOB clicking is a clean way to exit car, but you have to un-select "one click close all". It is the safe way to go, unlikely will you accidentally do this and clobber someone.

Everybody should include their installed version, mine is 2.50.180, to avoid confusion.

Be careful and have fun

If I remember correctly, triple click close will work regardless of whether you have the auto present on or off.

I'm not sure whether PUP is necessary for doors to auto close. I think it is necessary for auto-present.

Turning off auto-present also turns off two click driver open, which I miss. :(

Reactions: gjunky
Brand new MX owner. She landed late last night. Unfortunately I had to take delivery directly to my house so I didn't get the walk through at the dealership. Just curious if the walk away feature is one of the features the new builds don't have yet. I knew the features were going to be pretty limited until the software upgrade but I thought this was a pretty basic. So I'm a little nervous I might need to get it serviced.

Even more concerning is when I called Tech Support the agent put me on hold came back and said the vehicle doesn't have the ability for the doors to shut when you walk away. I directed him to the walk through video where it shows the feature in action. He then told me I must not have purchased that feature.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Mitch
From the manual:
Walk-away Locking Doors and trunks can automatically lock whenever you walk away carrying the key. To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Walk-Away Door Lock

From the manual:
Walk-away Locking Doors and trunks can automatically lock whenever you walk away carrying the key. To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Walk-Away Door Lock

Still begs the question as to whether auto door close is part of the premium pkg. We know for certain auto present/open is... I have not been able to tell based on the current Tesla Motors config page.

@Gilamonster can you describe a little more what happens, if anything, when you walk away? I took delivery on Thursday and walk away close of driver door and lock has been working. I haven't tested it with other doors open. I've noticed you do have to get far away (25+ feet) before the door closes so I don't recommend doing it in public. I've been double checking with the app to make sure it's closed and locked.

Does triple click close and lock all doors that may be open including the rear hatch or only the drivers door?
Does double click open the drivers door or only unlock the drivers door?
MX on order and intrigued and always forget to ask

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the opening feature only works if you have the PUP.

Yes
PUP & Non-PUP: Triple click closes & locks ALL doors
PUP: First double click opens the drivers door, second double click opens the passenger door *

* This feature is coupled with auto-door opening, not separate, so I, like others, am not it using for now.

| MX | 2.50.180 | AP2 | PUP |

So auto open & auto close are both part of the PUP? Sorry for the ignorance on this. Without the official walk through & having AP2 without any features currently enabled until software release I'm finding a little difficult to figure out what I should and shouldn't have at this point.

| MX | 75D | v8.0(2.50.180) | AP2

So auto open & auto close are both part of the PUP? Sorry for the ignorance on this. Without the official walk through & having AP2 without any features currently enabled until software release I'm finding a little difficult to figure out what I should and shouldn't have at this point.

| MX | 75D | v8.0(2.50.180) | AP2

No, open & close depends on PUP or not. And Door/Fob topic is separate from initial AP2 features not being available.

I see you may be non-PUP and may want safest all door closing:

Disable the "all doors close" fob feature, then Fob triple click (on top of fob) closes all.

Just picked up my MX 3 days ago and I have PUP and the walk away feature was working fine for the first 2 days, now when I step away from the car it won't close I have to use my FOB, there was also a time with strong winds that it wouldn't even close using the FOB, I could see that it tried but I guess the strong winds were to much for the door mechanism. any solutions to my problem.