Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walkaway lock at home ... I don’t want it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never had this problem with any car in at least 10 years because keyless entry has been around for SUCH a long time. I'm used to cars that lock if you're outside it with the fob and tap the door handle. Loads of cars have had this for years. It's fast and efficient, but also way more expensive, which is maybe why it's not available on the M3. The key card we were given costs about $5 as compared to a programmable fob, let alone the cost of technology to be able to lock on touch. Since I lock my car only about 60% of the time, it's an unnecessary inconvenience.

"Special mode?" like the Fart on Turn Signal? This car is basically a computer on wheels; they could simply add a feature to the walkaway lock program which allows you to specify "Except when located___" If they had given me a 2005 era fob and a door handle locking function, I'd have no complaint. Leaving Bluetooth on at all times, or toggling it on and off just to access my car is inconvenient and inefficient. They could salvage this restriction which is obviously a result of cutting a cost corner with a programming tweak and nothing more. If they don't, I might regress several years and pop for the M3 fob that requires you to push a button to lock or unlock. Basically, I don't want to be fussing with cards or phones every time I get into my car. I'm surprised anyone does.

Most people have their phones with them all the time. Your case may be an anomaly.

Never had this problem with any car in at least 10 years because keyless entry has been around for SUCH a long time. I'm used to cars that lock if you're outside it with the fob and tap the door handle. Loads of cars have had this for years. It's fast and efficient, but also way more expensive, which is maybe why it's not available on the M3. The key card we were given costs about $5 as compared to a programmable fob, let alone the cost of technology to be able to lock on touch. Since I lock my car only about 60% of the time, it's an unnecessary inconvenience.

"Special mode?" like the Fart on Turn Signal? This car is basically a computer on wheels; they could simply add a feature to the walkaway lock program which allows you to specify "Except when located___" If they had given me a 2005 era fob and a door handle locking function, I'd have no complaint. Leaving Bluetooth on at all times, or toggling it on and off just to access my car is inconvenient and inefficient. They could salvage this restriction which is obviously a result of cutting a cost corner with a programming tweak and nothing more. If they don't, I might regress several years and pop for the M3 fob that requires you to push a button to lock or unlock. Basically, I don't want to be fussing with cards or phones every time I get into my car. I'm surprised anyone does.
Sentry mode already has that option.
I have the setting to Turn on Sentry mode every time except for at home.
This will be easy to apply to door locks also for Tesla programming team.

I also agree that this feature would be great. I don't carry my phone around the house all of the time (I'm old I suppose) and when I want to head out to the garage and get something from the car, 90% of the time I go "oh s**t" and turn around and get my phone. Sentry now has a nice checkbox to disable at home, work or favorites. Something similar for walk away lock would be perfect.

And I also don't get why people who don't agree with a customization suggestion that multiple people obviously would like (based on several responses here) fight against it...

• Love
Reactions: Electric Chic
No offense but it sounds like you just want Tesla to program a special mode to protect you from yourself. You can easily fix the problem by carrying your key card in your wallet. That way if you forget your phone, you can unlock the car with the key card. Or if you don't want to use the key card, just remember to take your phone with you. Your phone is your car key after all. What if you forgot to grab your car keys? Same problem!

As others have mentioned simply make this optional and everyone is happy. I don't understand why anyone should disagree.

Leaving Bluetooth on at all times, or toggling it on and off just to access my car is inconvenient and inefficient. They could salvage this restriction which is obviously a result of cutting a cost corner with a programming tweak and nothing more.

Carrying around a separate device just for the sake of locking/unlocking is even less efficient than the fraction of a percentage of battery that leaving Bluetooth on uses.

As others have mentioned simply make this optional and everyone is happy. I don't understand why anyone should disagree.

I think the reason for disagreement is the way it's being presented. It's not like other cars are superior because they have a key fob that does the same thing the app does.

It'd be a great option but more of a nice to have rather than something other cars already have. I often find myself in the opposite situation: having to go back inside to get the key fob for my wife's car. The phone is so much more convenient since it's always with me and much harder to lose than a key fob.

Reactions: Runt8 and Scott7

I think you get disagreement not necessarily because the option to have it is wrong, but because it was referred to as an oversight, and the entitled approach that was taken.

Making the many costly software changes some feel they are entitled to, or find ridiculous Tesla hasn’t made just for them, AFTER they’ve purchased the car as is, could be viewed as being a little entitled. .....

How do you react to kids or folks you run across that are totally entitled and demanding?
This might be you’re experiencing ;)

I also agree that this feature would be great. I don't carry my phone around the house all of the time (I'm old I suppose) and when I want to head out to the garage and get something from the car, 90% of the time I go "oh s**t" and turn around and get my phone. Sentry now has a nice checkbox to disable at home, work or favorites. Something similar for walk away lock would be perfect.

And I also don't get why people who don't agree with a customization suggestion that multiple people obviously would like (based on several responses here) fight against it...

Look on the bright side - Tesla is helping you get 10k steps a day o_O

Reactions: GSP and brur
Is it too much to ask of Tesla Engineers to allow a modicum of programability to the walkaway lock function on the Tesla App? Tesla didn't give the M3 an option for a smart fob. You straight up have to fish out old school the one you can purchase for $150 and tap a button to lock/unlock. What comes standard is a card or your phone's bluetooth as the key. I can't tell you how many times my neighbors have heard me shout (and I live in a very rural area) "F#%k!" when I go out to my driveway to fetch something from my car but forgot it automatically locked behind me. It's terribly frustrating not being able to get into your own car in your own driveway without having your phone on you.

It should be easy enough to be able to program certain locations as exempt from the walkaway lock function. Or am I missing something obvious?
Couldn’t agree more. So infuriating. It makes me angry almost every day. And to all you people telling me how I should lock my car....screw you. I don’t want it locked in my garage. And I have several friends that feel the same and I’ve seen this issue raised in other posts. It is a thorn in our side. I’m astonished that Tesla would so disappoint us when the fix is so easy. They have time to program stupid fart apps and horrible Atari games, but they can’t give us the option to leave our car unlocked in the garage.

No offense but it sounds like you just want Tesla to program a special mode to protect you from yourself. You can easily fix the problem by carrying your key card in your wallet.
Tesla has the car open and close my garage door, which takes 1/100th the effort of pulling a card out of my wallet. It’s like a mosquito...not hard to kill, but very annoying. Why can’t Tesla just fix it. Is it really too much to ask?

I’m with the OP, I’d like the ability to not lock the car at my house. Some of you deal with bad people and locking is needed, in my neighborhood I am not worried. I park in a garage and even if I didn’t it’s not an issue. I’ve on many occasions left my garage open day and night by accident. More worried or a rouge deer than a person. I dOnt live in the boonies and I have a lot of neighbors, it’s just safe.

Back to the point, it’s annoying to tell my kids all the time they can’t open their doors until daddy gets nearby. Also annoying if I forget something in the car and have to grab my phone to get it. Some people don’t have a phone in their hand 24/7 at home.

I might try the extra profile thing.

Reactions: Nelson
Is it too much to ask of Tesla Engineers to allow a modicum of programability to the walkaway lock function on the Tesla App? Tesla didn't give the M3 an option for a smart fob. You straight up have to fish out old school the one you can purchase for $150 and tap a button to lock/unlock. What comes standard is a card or your phone's bluetooth as the key. I can't tell you how many times my neighbors have heard me shout (and I live in a very rural area) "F#%k!" when I go out to my driveway to fetch something from my car but forgot it automatically locked behind me. It's terribly frustrating not being able to get into your own car in your own driveway without having your phone on you.

It should be easy enough to be able to program certain locations as exempt from the walkaway lock function. Or am I missing something obvious?

Mine locks in my locked garage.
My wife knows when I come back in the house grumbling. Forgot you're phone again, didn't ya, with a sh$t eating grin on her face.

I think I'm gonna buy an extra key card and store it in a pocket on the wall next to the drivers door ;)

Reactions: sceptic
It'd be a great option but more of a nice to have rather than something other cars already have. I often find myself in the opposite situation: having to go back inside to get the key fob for my wife's car. The phone is so much more convenient since it's always with me and much harder to lose than a key fob.
Again, this isn't the point. You're thinking about your use case only. Many of us want to enable others in the household (wife, kids, even friends) to be able to access the car without asking to borrow a phone or credit card.

I don't know my car that well yet and even though I choose to disable sentry mode at home, I'm worried the car is going to alarm if my wife tries to helpfully grab the coffee cup I inadvertently left in the car that afternoon. Just an example, but I hope others can finally understand why this would be something that folks would want.

As an aside, I don't see any of this as "Tesla bashing", or comparing them in an unfavorable light to other manufacturers. For my part, I'm loving the "phone as a key" when it works, but truth is that this little oversight is preventing it from being a perfectly implemented feature. When you change the paradigm like Tesla has, you need to think about all use cases and implement accordingly.

Last edited:
Again, this isn't the point. You're thinking about your use case only. Many of us want to enable others in the household (wife, kids, even friends) to be able to access the car without asking to borrow a phone or credit card.

I don't know my car that well yet and even though I choose to disable sentry mode at home, I'm worried the car is going to alarm if my wife tries to helpfully grab the coffee cup I inadvertently left in the car that afternoon. Just an example, but I hope others can finally understand why this would be something that folks would want.

As an aside, I don't see any of this as "Tesla bashing", or comparing them in an unfavorable light to other manufacturers. For my part, I'm loving the "phone as a key" when it works, but truth is that this little oversight is preventing it from being a perfectly implemented feature. When you change the paradigm like Tesla has, you need to think about all use cases and implement accordingly.

I think an “Oversight” is a failure to notice or do something.
In this case, Tesla didn’t state or imply that they intended on having the option to chose when or where the car would lock when you walk away. That’s not an oversight, that’s them not having the time to program every option into each function at the time of implementation.

They are constantly improving the software and functionality of the car as we go. They have been doing that since day one, and seem to have no issue doing so.

Calling it an oversight and implying this should be there as a result is entitlement. :)
We all bought the car with absolutely no documentation stating or implying they would add functionality to the door locks...

Entitlement is someone feeling they are deserving of special treatment or have the right to something. Such as additional functionality never promised to door locks ....

Rule of thumb is don't keep anything valuable inside the cabin of your car. If you must keep valuables in the car, lock them in the trunk or frunk!! Perhaps the glovebox? That way if retards are trying to peer into my car for something to steal, they wont see anything and if they do, i have nothing to steal. I'll have all the fun watching dashcam as they break in for no reason.