Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I live in Vancouver. Have a SR plus. I got a quote from Electrum for the wall charger installation in my detached garage. 3500-4000 just to install it, not including taxes or rebates or the charger. Is this normal for a detached garage?

Even in the winter I use less than 100 km of range a day. My round trip drive is about 20km a day, once a month I might drive 70 km. Is it worth it to get this? The electrician says it’s he can’t install a 240v outlet and needs the wall charger.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
So I live in Vancouver. Have a SR plus. I got a quote from Electrum for the wall charger installation in my detached garage. 3500-4000 just to install it, not including taxes or rebates or the charger. Is this normal for a detached garage?

Even in the winter I use less than 100 km of range a day. My round trip drive is about 20km a day, once a month I might drive 70 km. Is it worth it to get this? The electrician says it’s he can’t install a 240v outlet and needs the wall charger.

I would get at least 4 quotes. Every electrician/company has a different ideology and instal method when it comes to chargers. I’m getting my gen 3 wall charger installed my attached garage for 1200 taxes in. He’s using about 20 feet of #6 wire and and a 50 amp breaker. Did I need the wall charger? No I could have stuck with 14-55 NEMA and get the same 32 amp charge but I like cool looking things, straight up I admit it. Paid more cause it looks cool. Plus I wanna the leave the mobile charger in the car instead of packing it up every morning.

sounds like you don’t drive much, maybe find an electrician that can do a 240V plug and save the cash? I don’t think I’ve ever heard an electrician say something is not possible lolz

On advice from other owners I decided to wait before I incurred the cost of running a 240v outlet and installing a wall charger. With a driving pattern similar to yours and my 110v charging at 8 or 9 k range per hour, after a year I have never had concerns that I might need to top at a Tesla charger somewhere.

Reactions: Watts_Up
If you've ever wondered how much electricians are ripping you off for a simple 240V NEMA outlet or to install the Tesla wall connector (excluding the cost of the wall connector itself), here is the BoM for a NEMA 14-50 install I did personally. I ran 6ga cable from my basement to the garage (about 36'). All items were bought from Home Depot (except as indicated below)

Fish Tape - $25.40
Drywall saw - $9.02
Wall plate (Amazon)- $7.66
Spade bit - $11.13
NEMA 14-50 outlet (Amazon) - $14.55
50A breaker - $20.44
15A space saver breaker (x2) - $49.67
Device box - $4.50
PVC fixtures - $18.27
6ga cable (12m) - $134.52

Total $295.17

I find it hard to both swallow the 4k$ quote and the "can't install a 240V outlet" comment. Knowing what I paid in materials to install the HPWC myself (even including a 60A disconnect box in the garage), I would say about 3500$ of that quote are for labour. The job took me about 5 hours (even though a competent electrician ought to be much faster at it), so that works out to 700$/hr for labour. I think he's trying to rip you off, or is severely overestimating what he/his time is worth. I highly recommend getting another quote.

You do have to watch it with the low end NEMA 14-50 outlets though - they’re not designed for constant plugging and unplugging

A search through the forums will show why

The proper HPWC does indeed look very cool!

Yup, I have read through that thread and I agree that an off the shelf NEMA 14-50 outlet won't handle constant unplugging very well. However, an electrician would also be including a regular NEMA outlet and not one of the high-end ones and still charge you and arm and a leg for the work.

Plus I wanna the leave the mobile charger in the car instead of packing it up every morning.

When I'm on the road, with the exception of visiting relatives, I have only used J1772 chargers. That's in 3 years / 58k miles of driving.

If you've ever wondered how much electricians are ripping you off for a simple 240V NEMA outlet or to install the Tesla wall connector

Don't forget the time spent driving to/from and shopping at Home Depot, the fuel/mileage on your car, the time to do the actual install, extra tools, time for paperwork for permits & meeting inspectors, liability insurance, time it takes driving around to provide free quotes.

Sure, some (many?) are serious rip offs. But there is more to the job than what you see at the house.

If you've ever wondered how much electricians are ripping you off for a simple 240V NEMA outlet or to install the Tesla wall connector (excluding the cost of the wall connector itself), here is the BoM for a NEMA 14-50 install I did personally. I ran 6ga cable from my basement to the garage (about 36'). All items were bought from Home Depot (except as indicated below)
Fish Tape - $25.40
Drywall saw - $9.02
Wall plate (Amazon)- $7.66
Spade bit - $11.13
NEMA 14-50 outlet (Amazon) - $14.55
50A breaker - $20.44
15A space saver breaker (x2) - $49.67
Device box - $4.50
PVC fixtures - $18.27
6ga cable (12m) - $134.52

Total $295.17

He does have a detached garage, as I do so I also had to dig a trench and run a PCV pipe for my cable....

that could be a big part of the job

Sometimes if there is an outlet in place and your not using it and by some chance it's on it's own circuit in that garage you might be able to convert it to a 6-15 outlet and would only have to pay for the new breaker/outlet/inspection and Tesla adapter. Do you only have 1 breaker for your garage.

Reactions: X.l.r.8
I’m looking to have a HPWC installed. I live in a condo. I only have a 70a breaker. An electrician came out today and said I would need to contact the power company and have the breaker updated to at least 100a Is that necessary?

I’m looking to have a HPWC installed. I live in a condo. I only have a 70a breaker. An electrician came out today and said I would need to contact the power company and have the breaker updated to at least 100a Is that necessary?
That will all depend on how much you currently have on your panel, and how many amps of a breaker were you asking for and how quick you want to charge.

I’m looking to have a 50 amp breaker so I can charge at 48amp. I’d like to charge as fast as possible without overloading the breaker. I’m planning on charging between hours of 12 am - 6 am, so the only appliance I’ll have running will be the refrigerator while the charger is in use.

I’m looking to have a 50 amp breaker so I can charge at 48amp. I’d like to charge as fast as possible without overloading the breaker. I’m planning on charging between hours of 12 am - 6 am, so the only appliance I’ll have running will be the refrigerator while the charger is in use.

you need to be setup for 60a to charge at 48a (80% rule).

60a breaker, wire that supports 60a, hard wired to the WC (because a 14-50 does not support 60a).

no way anyone would approve a 60a breaker on a place with a 70a main. Unless you have a few light bulbs and no heat, ac, or appliances.

Thank you. What would be the best set up with the 70a breaker in your opinion?
Tell us more about your place? Appliances? Electric heat, ac, hot water? Sq ft?

there are some expensive devices out there that monitor house use and cut the car. But not sure it’s worth it if upgrading the service is a possibility.

also, how much do you drive and do you have other charging options available as a backup?

This boring little box can fix the nightmare of installing EV charging stations in condos - Electrek

Last edited:
I have a 1200 sq ft. condo.

-washer and dryer, refrigerator, dishwasher, gas stove and microwave. Central A/C forced air, hot water heater.

Upgrading the service/breaker isn’t an option as my HOA is an absolute nightmare. I’m also not looking to spend any more money. I’d like to work with what I’ve got if possible.

I drive 20-30 miles a day. I’ve got a supercharger available as backup but it’s a bit far away.