Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger - Solid Blue Light - Will not charge properly - Solid Blue light equals firmware update needed on the wall charger.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to post this so that I could maybe help others with this issue.

If you have a solid blue like on your gen 3 tesla wall charger this is a simple firmware update that was fixed by calling the tesla wall charging dept. 877-961-7652 have your wall charger ID number ready. You do not get an error messages and are left wondering how to fix. The people at service have no idea either.

How it happens.....If the vehicle is plugged in when the firmware tries to update it won't work and then the wall charging also won't work properly and kicks you off after 10 mins of charging. The send these updates every 3 months at midnight which is when I charge so I didn't get the firmware update.

All you need to do is call the people at the wall charger and they update the firmware for you and walk you through how to fix.

again on the gen 3 tesla wall charger a Solid Blue light equals firmware update needed on the wall charger.

I guess I will have that number on speed dial since I always charge at night.

Reactions: Proppilot
The reason I posted the manual's page is to show that your problem is not the only reason the blue light was on. It can be a number of different issues if it remains on. In any event, it is good to report it to Tesla. It could be that your car needs to have an update, or there is a problem with the wall connector plug or port. In your case, the wall connector needed an update, which should occur automatically without you calling. My wall connector has updated several times without me calling. Glad your issue was easily fixed!

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
The gen 3 connector always has a solid blue light when it’s plugged into the car and the car is charged. It’s only solid green when it’s not plugged into the car. Then it glows green when charging.
Thank you William.. Just had the Wall Connector installed and was wondering why!
My next fix on the Plaid will be the Restraint failure alert to check out.

Reactions: WilliamG
One other reason for a solid blue light ca be that the access control on the Gen 3 Wall Connector is not set properly. There are 3 options (on mine) to allow cars to use the charger:
Connect to the Gen 3 device

The Charging Access Control feature gives you full control over which cars are allowed to charge with your Wall Connector. You have three options to choose from:

• 'All Vehicles'
  • 'Only Tesla'
  • 'Authorized Teslas Only'
This feature is supported by firmware version 21.36.4 and above.

How does it work?
Your Wall Connector will only allow charging on your chosen vehicles while blocking charging for other cars.
(Ref Gen 3 Wall Connector Access Control)

I had played with the settings at some stage and and tried to use the Authorized Teslas Only by entering my VIN.

When I ran into the problem of getting a solid blue light when plugging in the charger, and checked the access control on the Wall Charger, I found the access control option set to 'Authorized Teslas Only' but no VIN was specified. Setting this back to All Vehicles fixed the problem instantly

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
So I’ve been dealing with this issue for quite some time. For me I would plug the charger in and it was set to 48 amps. It worked for a little while and then after a few months I would only get about two or three minutes of charging and then it would trip and all the green lights would turn to a single blue.

If I dialled it down to 32 A through the app then it would charge continuously without a trip. I finally got the time to call support today and they worked out the issue. There was a communication error occurring because at one point in time I’d authorize a third-party app to talk to the charger. So I unplugged the charger, logged out of the app changed my password and then logged back in.

No issues any longer at 48 A.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve