Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector/Model Y charging starts at wrong time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have wall connector gen3 and 2023 model Y. My off-peak hours are between midnight and 3PM. I leave my house at 6:30am. I would like to charge my model Y after midnight and get it charged to 80% before I leave.

I found that in Tesla app, under both Model Y and My Home, there are schedule settings. I set them to 12AM or 12:30AM. Sometimes it starts charging very late - at 3:30AM and it can not finish by 6:30AM.

Under My Home, there is a menu "Energy", I can see the charge power curve vs time. It shows that my charging this morning was between 3:30AM and 6:30AM. However, under charge history, it shows charge started last night 11:59PM and last 2 hours and 55 minutes.

I set the charging current to 30A, but sometimes it charge to 40A by itself. (The wall connector cable becomes warm it it charges at 40A)

It's totally a mess.

Are you not charging everyday? Or do you drive a lot everyday? 3 hours of charging should be more than enough to replenish the typical daily usage at 30 amps.

Can you screenshot your charge schedule settings for both the car and the wall connector?

If you never want to charge at 40 amps then it’s better to change the wall connector setup and tell it it’s on a 40 amp breaker so it automatically limits to 32 amps. Relying on the car software to limit amperage is not reliable.

Reactions: Rocky_H
These are screenshots. I typically plugin the car at around 9:30PM. The wall connector is set allow charging after 12AM. I also set the tariff. On the Model Y side, I set the departure time to 6:30AM. Picture 3 was a screen at 4:38AM and it needs 2h 25m more, which will finish charging at 8:05AM far behind my departure schedule. It started charging at around 3:30AM. The day before, it started charge at around 2:30AM with 30A, which would not finished before my departure.

Last night, it started charging at 9:36PM, when the off-peak hours hasn't started yet.

Picture 4 is the screen shoot of the charging history. Some of the start times don't show up correctly. For the two 11:59PM, one actually started at 2:30AM and another started at 3:30AM.

Attachments

• IMG_8465.jpeg
    IMG_8465.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8468.png
    IMG_8468.png
    662.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8464.jpeg
    IMG_8464.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8469.png
    IMG_8469.png
    302.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The difference I see from my setting is that I don't have departure time set. Try removing that. The car should start charging right at the start of the charging window, with sufficient time to spare.

The “started charging” time isn’t necessarily when it actually started charging. It can be when it was plugged in. I don’t have a time window set up for my wall connector so my “started charging” time is always just when it was plugged in.

Perhaps the 12:00 AM exact start time is confusing things? Maybe try setting it to 12:15 or 12:30 AM.

Your end time on the wall connector is earlier than your “off peak end time” in the car settings. The car and wall connector don’t communicate this info with each other so you have conflicting settings. I would set the wall connector to the same or slightly after the off peak end time for the car.

I would also set the “off peak end time” in the car to the same as the departure time.

Also ensure anyone else with access to your car doesn’t have conflicting settings in their Tesla app. As well as third party services/apps you may have used.

• Informative
I suggest you have this too complicated. Turn off everything in the Tesla app and only use the settings in the wall connector. This will only allow the car to charge in the off-peak window. If you leave the car set to 80% SOC that is what you will have each morning.

BTW, as noted above, if you are using any third party apps make sure any “charging” setting are disabled.

• Helpful
You have this too complicated. Just turn off your Tesla app settings and just use the Wall Connector settings. The intent of the Tesla app settings is if you are using the Tesla Mobile connector or some other L2 charger that may not have schedule capabilities. If you are using the Tesla wall connector that has the scheduling feature then it is just confusing the situation.

I have wall connector gen3 and 2023 model Y. My off-peak hours are between midnight and 3PM. I leave my house at 6:30am. I would like to charge my model Y after midnight and get it charged to 80% before I leave.
I would counter with turn off all the scheduling crap in the wall connector. Turn on scheduled charging in the car, and set it to start at midnight. Done.

I've been doing it this way for years; it works fine. I start at 8pm and let the car go until it's done (my off-peak is 8pm-8am)

The scheduling in the WC is unnecessary, unless you have multiple cars charging there or you must stop charging at a certain time, and are willing to risk a partially charged car. Then you can control the timing in one place (the WC) vs multiple (several cars).

At 40A@240V, the car will add ~10%/hour and add ~65% between midnight and 6:30. That means you can start at midnight with as low as 15% and still have 80% by the time you leave. 48A will charge from 0% to 80% in that window.

For a MYLR, you can estimate charge speed (at 240V) in %/hr by (charge amps)/4. So 48A@240V charging is ~12%/hr, 40A is 10%/hr, etc.
I set the charging current to 30A, but sometimes it charge to 40A by itself. (The wall connector cable becomes warm it it charges at 40A)
The charge port and WC cable are designed to handle 48A continuously without concern. Slightly warm is fine, normal, and expected. Hot (can't hold your hand on it for more than a few seconds) is not. If the heating and voltage drop is beyond spec, the car will flag it and reduce the charging rate.

If you really have a heating problem, you should get service involved to replace your charge port or wall connector. Reducing the charge rate to hide it is just masking the problem, not fixing it.

Define "warm". A bit warm to the touch is normal. If anything is hot, which I define as too warm to comfortably hold in your hand, that would be a concern. Anyway, the amperage setting in the car and app can be a tad unreliable. If your GPS position is a little off, it will default back to full amperage. The suggestion to change the setting on the wall connector would fix that permanently.

Last edited:
Reactions: tga
I suggest you have this too complicated.
Yes, I totally agree!!
Turn off everything in the Tesla app and only use the settings in the wall connector.
Just turn off your Tesla app settings and just use the Wall Connector settings.
...except I totally disagree with these.
I would counter with turn off all the scheduling crap in the wall connector. Turn on scheduled charging in the car, and set it to start at midnight. Done.
Yes, absolutely! I would recommend leaving the wall connector fully open and just set the car's schedule to begin at 12:15. It will do exactly that 100% of the time, no question and without fail. That's been in place for a decade and always does exactly what is expected with no confusion.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin and tga
Yes, absolutely! I would recommend leaving the wall connector fully open and just set the car's schedule to begin at 12:15. It will do exactly that 100% of the time, no question and without fail. That's been in place for a decade and always does exactly what is expected with no confusion.

It depends on the objective. If the objective is simply to ensure the car only charges during off-peak, then using the setting in the wall connector is the easiest and most reliable method. The SOC then defines the upper limit.

Yeah, if there's a situation where you want/need to charge during the day... Logging into the wall connector is a pain. Leave the WC fully open and you can use the car's scheduling.

Maybe your WC functions differently, but in the U.S. we can add the WC to the app and easily control it. The only setting we have is to set the allowable charging window.

Note it is easy to also turn it off if you really want to charge at peak hours.

Attachments

• IMG_3707.png
    IMG_3707.png
    718.6 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: E90alex
I just set mine for the first time.

Departure time and charge percentage.

The phone app for the car says it will start at midnight and charge at 16A.

By rough maths It figures to chuck in 25kWh over 6 hours and preheat the car so it looks to have got the 16A a little light. It's almost freezing out there.

It has no problem charging at the 32A limit so maybe it will ramp up some to.get the job done.

There are a number of potentials. Please post a screen shot of the app where you see 16A, and also under “schedule” post screen shots of the “Departure” and “Charge” screens. Also, what Tesla adapter are you using e.g. 14-50, 6-50, ???

BTW, if you are using any third party apps, do not use them for setting things like this.

Sounds like you don’t have it set up properly and you have scheduled charging set up to begin at 12:00AM.

If you want it to finish by your set departure time, it won’t tell you anywhere when the charging will start. It will just say charged scheduled. Car will be ready at xx:xx. You have to turn on the “off peak charge” function and set the off peak end time to the same as your departure time.

If you have for some reason reduced the amperage limit in the car or app to 16A, it will not automatically increase amperage to finish charging faster. That defeats the purpose of setting a limit (eg if you’re temporarily using a circuit with a lower amperage rating). You shouldn’t have to reduce the amperage for normal charging and should just charge at the maximum your setup allows.

Reactions: ATPMSD
I just set mine for the first time.

Departure time and charge percentage.

The phone app for the car says it will start at midnight and charge at 16A.

By rough maths It figures to chuck in 25kWh over 6 hours and preheat the car so it looks to have got the 16A a little light. It's almost freezing out there.

It has no problem charging at the 32A limit so maybe it will ramp up some to.get the job done.
Quoting myself. Sucess!!!

I have not enabled the charger app.

Pretty sure the charger was already plugged in.

Car was at the desired SOC I had previously set it, 50%, so no charging happening.

In the car's Charging Menu:
I set the car a scheduled departure time.
I reset the desired charge to 80%.

On the phone app:
It got busy showing a charge would start at 12am all by itself.

At the bottom of that screen where it shows a picture of your car with charge cable (blue for ready to go in my case) there is a box across the screen. 16A displayed, and an option to reduce rate which I assume would have made it start earlier. I left it at the 16.

I have a watt meter on the wall unit but it's a bit of a pain to read on a daily basis. I should check it tonight before plugging back in.

I can also test pre programming a departure and SOC in the car before plugging in the charger.

Looking at my charge screen it has always had a default 16A displayed for "Charge Current at this location", then charges away at whatever is actually available.

The car was nicely warmed up and the charge was still at 80% so a win for me. If it cracked on at 32A it would have finished the charge in the wee hours.

No way of telling without fooling it with a much earlier departure so I can watch it kick off at 9pm.

I found that in Tesla app, under both Model Y and My Home, there are schedule settings. I set them to 12AM or 12:30AM. Sometimes it starts charging very late - at 3:30AM and it can not finish by 6:30AM.

Under My Home, there is a menu "Energy", I can see the charge power curve vs time. It shows that my charging this morning was between 3:30AM and 6:30AM. However, under charge history, it shows charge started last night 11:59PM and last 2 hours and 55 minutes.

It's totally a mess.
The wall connector cable is designed and certified to handle 48A continuous (60A breaker) so you don't need to worry about it. If you have a 50A breaker, keep that setting and let it charge at 40A. The warmth you feel is nothing to worry about. If you can't touch the cable that is another story but being warm is completely normal.

Reactions: ATPMSD