Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector or a second Gen 2 Mobile Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking at the economics of purchasing and installing a wall connector (with 60 amp circuit) vs just buying a second Gen 2 Mobile Connector and installing a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 plug.

The second option would cost about $500 ($275 plus about $225 for the plug) vs about $1000 ($500 plus about $500 for the install since I have to run that circuit from the meter box and use bigger gauge wire).

The only benefit I see to the wall Charger is 44 miles added per hour of charging vs 30. So, twice the cost for not even 50% faster charging.

My average daily usage is less than 100 miles, so 3 or so hours of charging would easily meet my needs.

Does anybody see a reason I should spend the extra money?

Why the 2nd mobile? What's wrong with using the one that came with your car? Check your electric company for any rebates, they might be able to cover a big chunk of the $.

I vote HPWC simply cause it's a much more elegant solution. 48a is addictive too. Plus if you ever get Tesla #2 you can reuse the same circuit with HPWC load sharing :)

Why the 2nd mobile? What's wrong with using the one that came with your car?

Right. Going on a trip? Just unplug your mobile connector and throw it in the trunk. Worried you'll forget it? Checklist.

Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 8.03.59 AM.jpg

My reason for buying the second mobile connector is exactly that, want to keep it in the car and not be constantly unplugging/coiling/uncoling/replugging.

But, you're correct, I could save even more if I'm willing to do go to that trouble everyday.

After buying a $50k car (and quite likely a second one), I may be splitting hairs here, but wanted to solicit input.

Thanks for the replies.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
My reason for buying the second mobile connector is exactly that, want to keep it in the car and not be constantly unplugging/coiling/uncoling/replugging.
What is the purpose of bringing it with you every day? You don’t need it. In 3 years and 100,000 miles, I’ve unplugged my mobile connector and brought it with me less than 10 times. Otherwise it just stays plugged in at home.

A NEMA 14-50 plug with a mobile connector will work great for you. I would try to run the proper wire for a 60 amp service anyways so you can easily change out as needed. Running electrical wire is usually more labor than parts.

Also, just in case you have the short range battery in your car, remember it will only charge at a max of 32 amps. The Long range will do 48 max.

Should you decide later to get a wall connector, the new Gen 3 looks nice and has a smaller diameter cord similar to the mobile connector. The large cord on the Gen 2 can be difficult to wrangle with at times. Not sure if the 30% Fed tax rebate is still in effect for 2020 on wall chargers, but if so it would make the wall connector a nice choice.

If you want to pack the original mobile connector with you all the time, that is just a personal choice and no wrong answer. Do what you like and makes you feel comfortable.

Reactions: brkaus
I’m looking at the economics of purchasing and installing a wall connector (with 60 amp circuit) vs just buying a second Gen 2 Mobile Connector and installing a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 plug.

The second option would cost about $500 ($275 plus about $225 for the plug) vs about $1000 ($500 plus about $500 for the install since I have to run that circuit from the meter box and use bigger gauge wire).

The only benefit I see to the wall Charger is 44 miles added per hour of charging vs 30. So, twice the cost for not even 50% faster charging.

My average daily usage is less than 100 miles, so 3 or so hours of charging would easily meet my needs.

Does anybody see a reason I should spend the extra money?
2 other benefits: You will have your mobile connector in the car when needed. You will have decent charging speeds if you buy and X, S or CyberTruck in the future. 44 miles added per hour is probably 20 in a truck. (I got mine simply for convenience, but my landlord installed it free).

The focus on daily needs when trying to decide on a wall connector is wildly narrow-minded.
You don't need the quick charge daily it is the fringe cases, the busy weekends the getting home Sunday and being able to put in a few miles to run errands. In my case what convinced me was a family emergency call I got on vacation, had to rush home and then to the hospital. At home I was only getting 17miles an hour so the 15minutes added a couple and I detoured to a supercharger on the way to the hospital. Then the next morning I was home so briefly that the car was still low on charge when I headed back to the hospital.

Besides is this car the only one that will ever charge there? Might your use plan change, maybe a guest that a higher rate might help?

If you look at my 15 mile round trip for work I would on theory get by on 15amps of 120, but winter here can easily triple consumption on my short trips. My most common road trip supercharger stop is 180miles west. Current 90% on my P85 is 220miles some rain or snow can hurt efficiency and I can get home low but want to run errands. Great to be able to add 30miles while unpacking before hitting the grocery store.

How about dropping the dog at the kennel before a trip, I can run that errand and then plug in for an hour and top back up during final loading of the car.

Not a regular occurrence, but nice to have the flexibility.

What is the purpose of bringing it with you every day? You don’t need it. In 3 years and 100,000 miles, I’ve unplugged my mobile connector and brought it with me less than 10 times. Otherwise it just stays plugged in at home.

That was a grdeat experienced.....with Tesla I think we are less anxiety than other EV owner due to availability of chargers everywhere...

Two factors to consider:

1) Is it being installed inside your garage or outside in the driveway? If it is outside and possibly exposed to the elements, you definitely want to go with the Wall Connector as it is more rugged and can handle the rain, snow, etc.

2) Are there any rebates being offered by your local power company? In my city, the power utility offers a $500 rebate for EV chargers but not for 14-50 outlets. So using your math above, if you take the rebate into account, then the costs would be equal.

Reactions: davewill
:)Tesla HPWC for me, charging 44 miles per hour at home. Plenty spend large amounts on accessories, wraps, paint correction, etc. My Tesla priority, top Model 3, fully equipped, matched to the Tesla HPWC providing the fastest home charging.

Reactions: hcdavis3

Your math doesn't work out here. You are saying $225 to install the NEMA-14-50, but $500 to hardwire a 60A circuit. If it is so expensive, just put the wall connector on a 50A circuit or on the 14-50.

Also, Gen 2 Mobile Connector is $275 and not $225. So that's only $175 extra.

But you can save $500 buy purchasing neither.

I had planned to get a wall connector and keep my UMC in the car permanently but after a couple months of back and forth i instead chose to buy a gently used Gen 1 UMC (40amp) and use that for my daily charging. It splits the difference between the charge speed of the Gen 2 UMC and the wall connector. I paid $275.

This way I could keep my 14-50 outlet instead of replacing it with a wall connector (keeping both would have been way more expensive), and having the 14-50 means I can still use my Gen2 UMC if the Gen1 ever fails. If I had replaced the outlet with the WC, I'd be charging off 120 until the WC is fixed.

But I also agree that I'll likely never need that extra UMC in the car, there's so many fast charging options for a tesla out there. I think I just bought a 2nd one so I could charge up at remote locations whenever its offered. E.g., visiting family... "Oh, you want to plug in while you're here?" Free charge is free charge!

Reactions: mrau
I had to purchase a second charger to qualify for a state rebate, and opted for another UMC because of cost. I thought it be nice to have the flexibility to plug-in wherever I find myself.

I also agree that I'll likely never need that extra UMC in the car, there's so many fast charging options for a tesla out there. I think I just bought a 2nd one so I could charge up at remote locations whenever its offered. E.g., visiting family... "Oh, you want to plug in while you're here?" Free charge is free charge!

Same here. In six months I’ve used my shiny new UMC precisely twice… Normally it just rides around back there. I can’t imagine I’ve been in a situation where I would need to plug into a 110 V outlet… By that point I’m better detouring for a commercially available level two and using my J1772.

I love my HPWC as well. However, I did experience a problem with the plug on the HPWC and had to have it replaced under warranty. I had to go about 3-4 weeks without it. Running around to local Chargepoint chargers was not that fun, so I had my electrician install a 14-50 outlet as my backup. So now I have my HPWC for every day use and a 14-50 outlet just in case the HPWC ever stops working again.

Reactions: mrau

Just want to echo this point here...

When I got my Model 3P, in Dec of 2018, I got a wall connector put in my garage. I told myself at the time it was because I did not want to plug and unplug the mobile connector (this is also what I told my wife) , but I was also honest with myself privately in that I wanted the wall connector "because it looked cool".

I got it installed 2 weeks after I got the car, and my mobile connector is in the trunk of my car. I have just under 20k miles on my car and its about 13-14 months old at this point, and I have zero idea if my mobile connector even works. I have never used it. It sits in my trunk in the case it came in.

Now, My car is my commuter car to work and back, and we dont tend to take road trips (and anyplace I have wanted to go and needed to charge, I just went to a supercharger in the area).

I would get the wall connector again, because I think it looks cool, and because it charges faster (even though I dont need the faster charging speed either). Not necessary in the slightest, but I like having it. Wall connector totally not needed for most people. "Want" is different than "need" though. Get one because you want it, because it certainly is not needed for just about anyone.

Reactions: TomB985
Wall connector for sure. Just looking at the size/gauge difference in the cable was enough for me to make that call. My neighbor has burned through a travel connector on his Model S (2013, so it was old). The wall connector just looks so sturdy and i have never had any issues. And now i just leave the mobile charger bag in the frunk and don't have to worry about plugging/unplugging.