Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector vs. NEMA 14-50 connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The NEMA 14-50 is rated for 50A but when charging an electric vehicle you are limited to 80% of 50A, so 40A is the maximum for charging; At 240V and 40A the Long Range Dual Motor Model 3 would charge at ~37 miles per hour. To charge at 240V and 48A for ~44 miles per hour would require using the Gen3 Wall Connector on a 60A circuit.

The Gen3 Wall Connector could be fitted with a NEMA 14-50 plug but then you would again be limited to charging at a maximum of 40A (the limit of the NEMA 14-50 when charging an EV.) There is a less common NEMA 14-60 receptacle and 14-60 plug (rated for 60A) that could potentially be used for 240A and 48A charging. Proceed with caution, I've only read of one manufacturer of electric vehicle service equipment offering a 14-60 plug option for their equipment. There is less risk of the wiring overheating, an electrical fire if you hard wire the electric vehicle service equipment when using a 60A circuit.

Last edited:
Thanks for your perspective. If I leave my mobile charger at home, do you recommend any certain adapters to keep in the car in the event a supercharger isn’t available on the road?

On another note I'm just about 4 years into ownership and have traversed the United States four times north south and east west along with around my home state of Arizona which is pretty desolate flyover country if you've ever been out here close to the New Mexico border and to the point I have always carried my mobile connector in the car and have never used it once while on the road anywhere in the United States. What will come in handy as has been mentioned is your J1772 adapter that is far more useful to carry with you than your mobile connector.

And as was said earlier in the thread of course my experience does not translate to every single Tesla owners experience but I can tell you that in all of my travels I don't see anyone concerned with having or using their mobile connector.

Yes if you want to take it out of the car and put it back in every night. I wanted to have a second unit, also one that can charge any EV we purchase in the future. And the Tesla cord is much shorter. Thanks
OK, I see now. Thanks for reply. So basically you’re using third party connector instead of the Tesla wall connector. I can see some upsides to this - easy to remove if you’re moving, connects to other cars, cheaper. Downsides - it’s slower. Do you lose any options or functions by not using the Tesla Wall Connectot? I haven’t taken delivery of Model Y yet and am trying to figure this out. We really want to move in 1-2 years.

Reactions: patnshan
OK, I see now. Thanks for reply. So basically you’re using third party connector instead of the Tesla wall connector. I can see some upsides to this - easy to remove if you’re moving, connects to other cars, cheaper. Downsides - it’s slower. Do you lose any options or functions by not using the Tesla Wall Connectot? I haven’t taken delivery of Model Y yet and am trying to figure this out. We really want to move in 1-2 years.
It’s technically slower, but I don’t need it to be faster than the 31 miles per hour I get at 32 amps. I can also take this with me as easy as a mobile charger as it’s technically mobile too as it issues the 14-50 plug.

Just to add a little more insight the J1772 standard is 80 amp capable. A Tesla wall connector is not automatically faster. The limiting factor on charging speed for the most part is the power supply you intend to connect and or plug your evse into and subsequently the evse power acceptance and delivery capabilities.

Aside from the other advantages that have been stated already a solid 80 amp J1772 solution can charge "any" EV including a Tesla with the J1772 adapter.

The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector will eventually be able to support multiple Wall Connector units wired to a single 240V circuit. This feature has not yet been delivered. The reason you would want to do this is to share a single 240V circuit while charging 2 vehicles (the load will automatically be balanced.) The Gen3 Wall Connector has built-in Wi-Fi capability, can support charge back billing to the user's Tesla account. This would be attractive to some property managers, bed'n breakfast inns, hotels, etc.

Last edited:
Just to add a little more insight the J1772 standard is 80 amp capable. A Tesla wall connector is not automatically faster. The limiting factor on charging speed for the most part is the power supply you intend to connect and or plug your evse into and subsequently the evse power acceptance and delivery capabilities.

Aside from the other advantages that have been stated already a solid 80 amp J1772 solution can charge "any" EV including a Tesla with the J1772 adapter.

Are there 80 amp plugs I could put in my garage? (Not me, an electrician)

My .02. I haven't done any real trips yet in these uncertain times, but I use the mobile connected to a 14-50. I sprang for the $0.25 $35 piece of plastic that holds the unit and has the hook for the cable. Worked out well. As I can charge from empty to full overnight, I don't see much need for the extra expense. I'd probably spend the 90 seconds to unplug and coil up the one I've got to bring it on a real trip but expect I'd never use it.

What little scheduling I do is with TeslaFi.

If I were buying another, I'd go for the $275 not the $520 connector. More choice to plugs.

Unless and until Tesla offers a charging connector (wall or mobile) that has a charging cord of 24 or more feet in length they won't get my business. I have yet to try the Mobile Connector that came with my MY. I should really find out if it works.) I did purchase a second J1772 adapter because I use the one that came with the MY at home and I wanted to keep a second adapter in the vehicle.

Reactions: patnshan
Unless and until Tesla offers a charging connector (wall or mobile) that has a charging cord of 24 or more feet in length they won't get my business. I have yet to try the Mobile Connector that came with my MY. I should really find out if it works.) I did purchase a second J1772 adapter because I use the one that came with the MY at home and I wanted to keep a second adapter in the vehicle.
Exactly why I did what I did (and explained above). Also, I can charge Ford's, Volvo's, etc. in the future.

That can also be achieved by using e.g. the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter.
Totally. I originally had a UMC and a “jesla” (UMC terminating in j1772 and extended cable length) for a non-Tesla EV, next setup will be two Wall connectors daisy chained to 60A and I’ll get a JDapter, Lectron or equivalent if I ever get a different EV (Rivian R1S?).
If you must have a longer cable the folks at quickChargePower may also be able to do the mod for you.

FWIW, I asked my electrician what would be the safest long term solution. Regardless of whether, I decided to use the wall charger or the UMC with a 14-50 adapter, he was going to need to run conduit from the panel to the location that either would go. He preferred the hardwired solution and the wall charger. He didn't like the idea of an adapter and the mobile charger hanging off of the 14-50 outlet, especially if I was going to unplug them with a kind of frequency. I didn't know enough to question his recommendation.

Edit: Based on the comments in the thread about whether to leave the adapter and UNC brick plugged in thread, it appears that his recommendation was spot on.

Last edited: