Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want new HID headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the flip side to my S60 halogen loaner experience, I had a 90D refresh loaner a few years later and couldn't get over how bad the spill pattern was on the leds. No sharp cut off or even beam pattern like the hids.

The Model 3's LEDs are a huge improvement.
I agree with that also.....my wife's Model 3 lights are fantastic......

LEDs have a very poor cut-off and beam pattern not to mention the heat....you just can't go and add HIDs though because the reflector also needs to be changed....the Germans make a great HID light bulb and it is relative mid-priced and it has a great throw.....

See the piece (Model X lower image) on the right side with the gearbox and shaft that is running horizontal from the center of the light to the right side of the light... that is most likely adjustment screw to raise and lower the beam. This is the back of a foglight from a Model S (top) X (bottom) the S also has a gear, see the right side of the housing, the gray gear. Usually you place an Allen wrench or a large Phillips screwdriver in this to move the beam up or down, this one look like it's a thumbwheel that can moved by hand.

Model S Fog Light

iu

Model X Fog light
iu

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jughead135
Can the older HID headlights be installed onto a facelifted MS? Granted, we would lose the super cool LED driving light. I know that the wiring harnesses are different. Perhaps, we could use a relay to switch on the power to the HID ballast? Can someone make a kit, I'm too lazy:)