Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to return new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks a lot for this advice - i will try the slacker radio premium account, however than is the smallest worry. The autopilot is a much bigger concern for me. I feel that they oversold me on what it can do, even notwithstanding the 85mph shutdown problem.

The nav is turned all the way up to 11. You can hardly hear it and it comes out of 1 speaker and doesn't turn down the volume on the stereo.
It goes out of the driver side speaker. If that speaker isn't working correctly, that could explain the issue with the volume.
Re Slacker Premium, I have that but I like a lot of different music and they have a lot. Unsure what you are looking for so not sure why the Slacker that comes with the car isn't enough. I think the car version is a slight upgrade so should have plenty of music.
EDIT: OOOOH, you are talking about the voice recognition software. That's prolly 100% Tesla and I've no idea if it is any good. Slacker Premium won't help that. (I worked in voice technology back 15 years ago and it is a very difficult thing to get correct. I just don't use that with the car and play stations or 'favorites' or playlists -- favorites & playlists are Premium features.)

Bluetooth is pretty good with the car, at least with the iPhone/iPads I use.

Re: autopilot... dunno how it was sold, but it isn't high enough level to just let the car drive you. It also prolly wouldn't exceed the speed limit if it was full autopilot. You really should pay attention to the road. You are still the driver, it is still your liability.

Last edited:
@DrivingRockies - What exactly do you disagree with? You think it's not in the manual?

View attachment 250322

I think it is obvious your message makes more claims than just what is in the manual, e.g. it ignores the OPs concern about Autopilot shutting down completely - vs. just having a speed limit where it can't be enabled, which I think is his/her point, the disagreement with how the car is programmed - the OP thinks this feature is stupid and hence would like to return the car (he is not asking it to be repaired). I would personally disagree with that bit of your commentary as well...

robertjs said:
If i engage autopilot, even accidentally, over 85mph its shuts down autopilot for the entire duration of the journey. I have to pull over. get out of the car and shut it down completely then start it up again just to make it work again.

Just because Autopilot is not rated above 90 mph, and manual says so, doesn't mean it makes sense that it turns it completely off and requires parking. It is an understandable dislike by OP IMO. That is definitely not how things work on all competing car's driver's aids.

That said, I do think the OP is unrealistic in wanting to return the car, that is just not how car sales work.

As for Hyundai Genesis G80, it actually seems to have a far superior suite of driver's aids than any new Tesla today. I don't know how its auto lane-keeping and AP2 compare, but it does have a lot of nifty stuff Tesla's do not have. No wonder OP is missing it.

Last edited:
85? 90mph in AP?

You should be happy it is dissuading you from trying AP at that speeds. Unless you have a death wish or want to get a Darwin award.

Why not just disable AP for those speeds. Completely understandable, you learn to set it underneath. Why kill the whole functinality for the duration of the drive if you make a mistake? I think, in isolation, OPs dismay there is understandable.

I'm reading up on what Hyundai Genesis G80, the OPs previous model, can do. Pretty impressive stuff actually, it slows down automatically for traffic cameras for example. It's HUD shows you cars in the blind spot based on rear radar... Oh I wish Tesla would get proper blind-spot detection.

hw081628.jpg

Bluetooth is pretty good with the car, at least with the iPhone/iPads I use.

Sure, but talking of music connectivity, there is no Android Auto or Apple Car Play (wired or otherwise) in a Tesla - competition, including at least a new Hyundai Genesis G80 does have it.

robertjs said:
4) i can't get the phone to sync music to the car, even if i could i feel that i shouldn't have to use my phone to play music, the car should have better options for music

I think OP is mostly disappointed because a lot of stuff he likes regarding convenience features, simply are not there in a Tesla. Some of us in the Tesla bubble (probably even me to an increasing extent since I haven't been paying that much attention to the ICE market in the past three years) are simply not getting how advanced some of the convenience features of the competition are.

In some areas, Tesla is far behind. The drivetrain is great, but if you are into some convenience features that are missing, that can be disappointing.

As for OPs original question, realistically this is something he/she should have covered in a test drive unfortunately. There are no returns in the new car business and expecting that of Tesla is, even in my books, unrealistic. But his/her concerns themselves, are perfectly fair IMO, and good fodder for discussion.

Last edited:
\
This software nanny is a completely pointless feature and serves no useful purpose. I hope Tesla engineers remove it in future builds. A simple disabling of AP for even 1-2 minutes should suffice to "punish" a driver, if indeed that is the goal. If there is some other reason for this logic, I'd love for Tesla to provide it.

Forcing the driver to pull over somewhere out of frustration could have devastating consequences.

Welcome back to Oktane.

I have to say, I'm impressed with the kind responses of the forum members, @Sawyer8888 is a straight up buddhist monk with how kind and patient he has been in actually taking the OP posts seriously... well done!

@robertjs, can you please you to describe your car, and somethings about yourself so I sincerely can tell if you are a real owner, and please understand that I'm not joking.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I'd like to know that you are a real dude that who maybe just wasn't that into Tesla or got the car as a kind of gift and didn't look into the various details of the car? Folks sometimes come on the forum and post false or misleading posts, and I'm just having a hard time understating your situation without some context and I'd like to help. It's not ringing true to me although I apologize if I am wrong.

I think it is obvious your message makes more claims than just what is in the manual, e.g. it ignores the OPs concern about Autopilot shutting down completely - vs. just having a speed limit where it can't be enabled, which I think is his/her point, the disagreement with how the car is programmed - the OP thinks this feature is stupid and hence would like to return the car (he is not asking it to be repaired). I would personally disagree with that bit of your commentary as well...

Just because Autopilot is not rated above 90 mph, and manual says so, doesn't mean it makes sense that it turns it completely off and requires parking. It is an understandable dislike by OP IMO. That is definitely not how things work on all competing car's driver's aids.

That said, I do think the OP is unrealistic in wanting to return the car, that is just not how car sales work.

As for Hyundai Genesis G80, it actually seems to have a far superior suite of driver's aids than any new Tesla today. I don't know how its auto lane-keeping and AP2 compare, but it does have a lot of nifty stuff Tesla's do not have. No wonder OP is missing it.

Bad news everyone, I must leave this thread due to an acute aneurysm I suffered while reading this thread.... It's Buttershrimp's bedtime but he must first go shout into his pillow, "a Hyundai G80???!!!! WTF?Arrrrrgh"

Anyway, good night I will see y'all on another thread once I recover some brain function. If I don't survive the night, please just know that the cause of death was this thread.

Sure, but talking of music connectivity, there is no Android Auto or Apple Car Play (wired or otherwise) in a Tesla - competition, including at least a new Hyundai Genesis G80 does have it.

I think OP is mostly disappointed because a lot of stuff he likes regarding convenience features, simply are not there in a Tesla. Some of us in the Tesla bubble (probably even me to an increasing extent since I haven't been paying that much attention to the ICE market in the past three years) are simply not getting how advanced some of the convenience features of the competition are.

In some areas, Tesla is far behind. The drivetrain is great, but if you are into some convenience features that are missing, that can be disappointing.

As for OPs original question, realistically this is something he/she should have covered in a test drive unfortunately. There are no returns in the new car business and expecting that of Tesla is, even in my books, unrealistic. But his/her concerns themselves, are perfectly fair IMO, and good fodder for discussion.
@AnxietyRanger be careful... you are legitimate dude..... with actual good points.... please don't ruin your credibility by getting catfished by a G80.... I only gave you a "disagree", because I'm going to miss you when you get catfished.

@AnxietyRanger be careful... you are legitimate dude..... with actual good points.... please don't ruin your credibility by getting catfished by a G80.... I only gave you a "disagree", because I'm going to miss you when you get catfished.

I am exercising welcome courtesy. I don't know the OP, I am discussing the topic as it has been posted.

This is the most silliest thread I have seen in a long time. Over the years there have been a few disgruntled new buyers with genuine complaints that raise up to the level of wanting to give the car back - suspension problems, car stopping in middle of the road and needing a battery replacement, car not charging, ugly panel gap, wrong seats, etc.

But this one takes the cake - slacker is not playing the song I asked, and so I am going to give it back. AP disables till I restart if I cross 90, I want to return the car.

The funny thing is, the folks that constantly complain that AP is a piece of *sugar*, are the ones offended about the 90mph disable limit.

I like humor like the next guy, but this is too much for a day.

For instance, I've been working on a canal (originally a stream bed) recently, and I think I'm being exposed to some naturally occurring or residual industrial waste toxins of some sort, because my whole body is telling me I'm not in peak state. I have to take everything slower than I used to and do it more specifically correctly, concentrating harder.

Look-into iodine supplementation to detox. Either kelp pills or Lugol's solution. Might be worth a try.

Robertjs, on the autopilot software, as noted in other threads, Tesla is still actively developing the software - and we are generally seeing improvement in each software release. If someone at Tesla implied the AP2 software was completely functional to the "EAP" specifications, that's unfortunate, because it's not there yet - and we don't have a revised estimate from Tesla on when it will be there.

If there's something that you don't believe is working correctly in your car, you have 4 options:
  1. Call Tesla's customer support. They are try to help as much as they can - and are even able to look at the status of your car, while you are driving. If they believe you've encountered a problem requiring service, they will submit the service request for you, and have the local service center contact you. Tesla's phone support has been one of the great benefits of owning a Tesla for almost 5 years.
  2. Call or go to the local Service Center. They also try to help you as much as they can, though obviously they can't do much when the problem is due to a (possibly short term) deficiency in the software. If they believe the problem is something they can fix, they'll schedule a service visit (with a loaner Tesla) or arrange for a mobile service van to come to you.
  3. You can submit concerns to Tesla via e-mail. This provides you an opportunity to document in writing what you are seeing, and even provide screenshots/photos, if that will help. They will forward those concerns to the correct group.
  4. You can report bugs while in the car using the voice recognition system (I believe it is something like "Report Bug" or "Bug Report", don't remember which). Your report along with a snapshot of your car's current status will be recorded and forwarded to the Tesla development team. Of course, fixes may not happen quickly - but if you encounter a problem they haven't seen, or they are looking for more examples of a specific problem, you may be able to help them identify what's wrong and queue up a fix for a later release.

Reactions: idoco
OP, did you test drive the car thoroughly before buying the car? I took extensive drives of a fiat 500 convertible before signing on the bottom line and that car was practically free in comparison. Tesla does allow overnight test drives for you to make an informed decision. You should have taken them up on it. In the meantime, give them a chance to fix your speaker issues, and you'll need to wait out your AP fantasies for Tesla to get there. If not sell it for a loss. It's a hard lesson, but better on a car than a house.

Reactions: davidc18
@robertjs L'shana tova. Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your purchase.

Most of the problems you describe are design features that work as intended (but not as you expected). Lemon laws probably don't apply to your situation. No matter how you dispose of the car you are going to take a financial loss.

I'm going to make another suggestion...keep the car and drive it for a year! It's not going to cost you much more since you've already taken the biggest financial hit. You might as well get some use out of the dollars you've already spent.

More importantly it will give you an opportunity to really see what Teslas are about. To really see what differentiates EV's from ICE vehicles. And to put those design features that now annoy you into perspective.

After a while the things that now annoy you will become a blip on the radar compared to the joy you'll receive from driving an EV. And the bells and whistles you miss will be forgotten. You'll never want to drive an ICE again!

Tesla's aren't perfect (no cars are but that's for another discussion). But they are a joy to drive.

Good luck

P.S.

"Buyer's remorse (or buyer's regret) is the sense of regret after having made a purchase. It is frequently associated with the purchase of an expensive item such as a car or a house. It may stem from fear of making the wrong choice, guilt over extravagance, or a suspicion of having been overly influenced by the seller."

This software nanny is a completely pointless feature and serves no useful purpose. I hope Tesla engineers remove it in future builds. A simple disabling of AP for even 1-2 minutes should suffice to "punish" a driver, if indeed that is the goal. If there is some other reason for this logic, I'd love for Tesla to provide it.

Forcing the driver to pull over somewhere out of frustration could have devastating consequences.
Completely different issue than if it is designed to run that way or not. But welcome back. :)

Shana tova,

yes it works fine below 85 but above that it completely shuts down and puts a message on the screen saying its disabled for the entire journey.
I have turned the nav voice all the way up its just not loud at all and it only comes out of 1 speaker and doesn't lower the music when it speaks.

Was your car an inventory or demo vehicle? Could be the max AP speed restriction is still in place for demos/inventory? At times the delivery team forgets to remove the programming!

Guys, just to clarify, because I saw some incorrect responses in the thread: Nav voice does not mute your music. It only damps down the music on the driver side speaker(s). Music volume on other speakers remains the same when nav speaks.

For those who cannot hear nav voice even when it is turned up all the way to 11, as a test, can you try to nav with music turned off? If you don't find it extremely loud in that case, I would guess there is something wrong with the driver side speaker(s). Now if you do find it extremely loud, then I guess it is just something you have to live with. You are probably playing music very loud, and the amount of music dampening Tesla is doing on the driver side speaker(s) is not sufficient for your taste.

Also, it sound like you understand what others are talking about, but just to be 100% certain - there are two different volume level settings. One for music and one for nav. And each is set independent of each other. Are you sure you are talking about turning the nav volume all the way up?

About the phone syncing music with the car, I'm not sure what you mean exactly. From the center console, you cannot see/browse through the music available on the phone. If that is what you mean by sync, there is no such feature in Tesla as of now. However, as others have mentioned, you can indeed connect the phone to the car via Bluetooth, and then stream music from the phone to the car. On the center console, you can then see the current track that is playing from the phone, and you can also control the music from the console (play, pause, back, next, shuffle, repeat).

If you wish to browse your personal music collection, you can however load it up on a USB drive and plug it into the car directly.

As for AP going offline for the entire trip if engaged at a very high speed, don't know if it is a bug or not, but in my opinion, given what I hear about the current state of AP2, Tesla should aggressively discourage drivers using AP at speeds way above legal limits. Don't know if it should should be allowed even when it gets better. But my opinion is irrelevant as I do not have AP, I understand.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I have to say, I'm impressed with the kind responses of the forum members, @Sawyer8888 is a straight up buddhist monk with how kind and patient he has been in actually taking the OP posts seriously... well done!

The OP's actual concern for their buyer's remorse remained allusive, which generated some interesting and sometimes angry responses. I found this entertaining but also concerning due to the numerous negative assumptions directed toward the OP.

Was this a genuine person? Maybe it's slugworth!?

I refrained from adding to the speculation. Once the OP returned and provided more detail, I jumped in and offered my support.

The OP's concerns are interesting, however I found the commentary about who he was and his intentions more captivating and amusing despite some of the negativity - kind of like reading those crazy magazine headlines in the checkout aisle. I couldn't look away for some reason.

Hope things work out for the OP.

AP should be disabled at 10 miles over speed limit and cap it at 75mph. If you have a need to speed temporarily to pass a vehicle, disable AP manually, do the deed and turn AP back on.

I know this will get a lot of disagrees, from the same folks that cry AP is trying to kill them at any speeds.

Why cap it at 75 mph? Why not 4mph? Then it will be totally safe...

I regularly drive faster than 75 mph and Mercedes even offers auto steer, lane change and TACC up to 120mph.

I'd be ok with 100 mph, maybe even 90, but 75 is way too low.

Reactions: WhiskySTL