Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanted to buy Model S P85D or P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, just new here, been looking for a few months now to buy a model S. I have driven one of the 75D cars and been offered a couple inventory ones around 125k drive away but I think I want something a bit quicker.

Would love a P100D but out of my price range, wondering if anyone is looking to sell end of lease or upgrade from a P85D or P90D? I have a budget of under 120k ideally. Im in Sydney but will go anywhere to get the right car.

Hi all, just new here, been looking for a few months now to buy a model S. I have driven one of the 75D cars and been offered a couple inventory ones around 125k drive away but I think I want something a bit quicker.

Would love a P100D but out of my price range, wondering if anyone is looking to sell end of lease or upgrade from a P85D or P90D? I have a budget of under 120k ideally. Im in Sydney but will go anywhere to get the right car.
Have a look at this one. Sounds like fair value. FOR SALE: 2015 Tesla Model S P85D with Ludicrous Mode

@ JayTee Less than 46,000km's for a car that is 3-3.5 years old, that's only 14,500km's average per year...that's not on the high side even more so for a EV....

I have a S 70 but other than this they're near identical in model/age however I have 62,000km's on it...still drives like new...no rattles, tight etc.

I don't think you'll go wrong with the black one, I'm nearly tempted.

Ive been offered a Red demo 2018 S 75D with sunroof, premium interior and 21" grey turbines for 135k drive away. Its tempting but It dosent have autopilot switched on at that price though.

I think at 129k I would want the newer shape or lower kays to be honest but maybe im being unrealistic. Someone mentioned in another thread they bought a P85D for 98k after a PM, hoping someone else might want to.

@JayTee I'd personally I'd get the new one for S 75D with the new MCU AP2.5 (full upgradable to 3.0). The interior is much nicer, the new seats are much much better (like way better), in every way way more refined. The MCU in the latest cars (S and X) are so much smoother in every way....I know as my wife's brand new X75D with the latest MCU is SOOOO much better.

Keep in mind the latest S75D will blow away near all cars, yes even some super cars as it is more a race to 60-80km's per hour 90% of the time which the S75D performs very nicely indeed at....also push Tesla for a 8 year / 160,000km warranty rather than the 4 years / 8 years....will make a big difference no matter if you sell in 405 years or decide to keep for 8 years.

If you get the new one, use my referral code (PM me if you like) and I'll push Tesla for you on a number of front (I've got a "little" sway)....

Hi thanks for the reply. The demo I looked at has 5000km on it. Its a 2018 but probably an early one. Will that have the AP 25?
It looked pretty good in red with the grey 21s, has carbon fibre trim pieces as well. Its 157k new on the tesla website confugurator. Had 2 badly guttered rims but they said they would replace them.

I think its the 9k extra to switch on Autopilot thats just pushesit a bit beyond what id like to spend.

Can you really negotiate on the warranty?

Ive been offered a Red demo 2018 S 75D with sunroof, premium interior and 21" grey turbines for 135k drive away. Its tempting but It dosent have autopilot switched on at that price though.

I think at 129k I would want the newer shape or lower kays to be honest but maybe im being unrealistic. Someone mentioned in another thread they bought a P85D for 98k after a PM, hoping someone else might want to.
DYOR but you need to compare apples with apples. The price of a base model and a fully specced (?) model could mean double the original purchase price. It also depends on what you prefer and want from a Tesla car. If you want to beat everyone from a standing start and thrill all your friends (and yourself at the sme time) then you would go for the 90 with L. If you want later technology (and faster depreciation) then go for a later model with a smaller battery. K's are mostly irrelevant as there is not much to wear out. The motors will outlive you. I have a P90D without L (not worth the $15k or so) as it is quick enough. I also wouldn't consider selling at the prices some are selling at as the economics don't make much sense. It is like a smartphone that is superceded each year, but does mostly the same thing. The depreciation rate, now that there are many more on the road, seems to be following the old rule of halving every 3 years or so, but in my view that rate is far too severe.

@JayTee dont worry about Kays, electric drivetrains and thermal managed battery packs are a whole world better than a ICE drivetrain, be more concerned about the manner in which the previous owner has treated the vehicle, not necessarily how hard it's been driven but how it's been cared for, parked and generally respected, that P85DL needs a closer look, it could be worth the effort.

@JayTee - Buying second hand a near out of warranty of everything but the battery/drivetrain and price sensitive? I’d buy new, also I’m assuming you’ll be financing? If yes then you’ll find the new one is far cheaper per month financed than the second hand one....

Things that can, and do go wrong, with the S that will cost a lot to fix when out of warranty....example $1,200 for a door handle.

@JayTee also the new 75D has all the options selected, really onlly battery size, acceleration is the difference whereas the interior, computer, AP2, latest MCU 2.5 (upgradable to v3), full premium pack (which includes extras not found on the older models) are found on it and not an older S...personally I’d get the 75D over an older P (especially one that is 3-4 years old and near out of warranty) as the 75D is still under 4.2 second 0-100 and most that are testing are saying more like 3.8 seconds (Tesla won’t publish it).

In terms of devaluation all cars including a second hand P will devalue, albeit it the older one less now than when first bought, however a inventory car has such a big discount that helps to close that gap.

Bottom line, drive an older S and compare it to driving a new S, that will make deciding dead easy for you.

Reactions: Tension
There is a 2016 S90D on the Tesla used inventory at the moment for around $110k plus on-roads. Buying CPO will give you warranty and you get the free supercharging (if that is important to you) and they seem to do a really good job of preparing it for sale. I financed a portion of mine and interest rate was very competitive (not sure if buying CPO as opposed to just a private secondhand one makes a difference there?). Obviously CPO is going to be more expensive than a private sale but I felt the peace of mind and warranty was worth the extra. Downside is it is still 2 years old and you don't get to choose your colour or options compared to ordering a new one.

I saw that 90D and asked about it. They are called used now and not cpo. So they dont tidy them up for sale at all. Also has 60k on it. Ive seen a few stories about people buying the used invenory teslas and getting them in bad condition. I think for 15k more id prefer the 2018 75D. Or look at a used P85D/P90D that i can check out

Thoughts on this one?
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/de...6387384?pageSource=details&id=OAG-AD-16387384
P90D with 22k on it. Has Autopilot but otherwise no options. Looked at it yesterday its at easyauto123 at seven hills. Looked ok but they didint know anything about it, Ap1 I think but they didnt know. Cheapest P90D for sale in Australia was all they could tell me. Its for sale at $138500 listed onnthe car itself.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Im not too worried about km's from the driveline but I want a car in near showroom condition. Most 50k+ cars are going to have stone chips, seat and interior wear etc. There is also this one for sale in Perth but thats a long way to go to look at a car.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/de...6610126?pageSource=details&id=OAG-AD-16610126

Looking at the last 50km it has done, I'd say it's been driven in a very spirited manner...so bear that in mind.

So they dont tidy them up for sale at all. Also has 60k on it. Ive seen a few stories about people buying the used invenory teslas and getting them in bad condition. I think for 15k more id prefer the 2018 75D.

I bought mine about a month ago and it was immaculate and they definitely did clean it up and service it before I got it. The main factor for me was the extra 4 year warranty over a private sale (or 3 years extra - private one I considered still had 1 year left on it). Have you taken a test drive with a Tesla rep in a new car? They can set the car up to simulate the older models so you can compare acceleration in anything from the P100D (if that is what you are driving) back to older ones like the 70D that I was considering. Whilst the P100D is mind blowing acceleration even the 70D is still very quick (enough to impress anyone not used to it) so for me paying a LOT more to get a P model just didn't seem worth it (of course I live in a rural area so not a lot of opportunity for traffic light drag races around here!). Really depends what is most important to you in the car and what you are happy to pay.

Hi Tezza, thats great to hear your used inventory car was immaculate, how old was it and how many kays were on it?

I have driven a 75D at StLeonards Tesla about 2 months ago. The instant power makes the car feel faster than it really is. Ive owned quite a few fast cars, I have a twin turbo track car that runs mid 11s in the quarter. Im worried if I go for a 75D ill get bored with the power after a while.

I would get the inventory P100D listed now for 215k if I could justify the price to myself but I cant.

I think right now the best car for me might be a AP2 2016 or 17 P90D or P90DL if I can find a good one at the right price.