Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning about accepting delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry....but no way in hell would I accept that car at delivery.....
Is this within specifications?
99EDB871-44D7-4259-8FFC-8ED0B0571D55.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: beezy and raggedy
Sorry, I could probably be a little clearer. When I say the issues will eventually be fixed I'm referring to what Tesla considers as issues which is why I strongly referenced the problems with their specs. New owners at delivery do not know what their specs are and you are left to your own opinion as to trust the delivery rep or not. Only options we have are to accept or reject delivery. Having only picked up one vehicle from them I was under the impression that they don't fix issues at delivery or give written promises either. Given your poor experience are you recommending something other than rejection? I would imagine that most delivered vehicles have some problems.
My main reason for the post was to offer a suggestion of professional delivery advisors that we would pay a premium for to help avoid problems like those that unfortunately have happened to you.

Picked up my new Model Y Performance yesterday at Burbank service center. Car was essentially free of defects except doors seemed a bit too far inset at the bottoms leaving the rocker panels a cm. or so proud. I asked if this was “in spec” and they had a service adviser come out to check them. Super nice, helpful folks. They acknowledged the issue and gave me the option of a service visit but warned that realigning the doors is tricky to maintain panel gaps all around. I may decide just to live with this small issue.
Everything else checked out—tail light and charging door were fine and the paint flawless. I’m happy at the good experience.

...Car was essentially free of defects except doors seemed a bit too far inset at the bottoms leaving the rocker panels a cm. or so proud. I asked if this was “in spec” and they had a service adviser come out to check them. Super nice, helpful folks. They acknowledged the issue and gave me the option of a service visit but warned that realigning the doors is tricky to maintain panel gaps all around. I may decide just to live with this small issue.
Ask them if you can bring it to one of their local approved body shops if they think it's something they can't handle. A real body shop will have no problems aligning doors.

Reactions: Brown1428
Picked up my new Model Y Performance yesterday at Burbank service center. Car was essentially free of defects except doors seemed a bit too far inset at the bottoms leaving the rocker panels a cm. or so proud. I asked if this was “in spec” and they had a service adviser come out to check them. Super nice, helpful folks. They acknowledged the issue and gave me the option of a service visit but warned that realigning the doors is tricky to maintain panel gaps all around. I may decide just to live with this small issue.
Everything else checked out—tail light and charging door were fine and the paint flawless. I’m happy at the good experience.

1cm is pretty large for any gap or inset, did you mean 1mm?

The biggest disparity was in the center of the right rocker panel which is out from the doors about 1cm. The left one is out 5 or 6 mm in the center. The protrusion was less on both sides toward both ends of the panels. I looked at 6 other new Ys and most had the same condition albeit to a lesser degree. Only one was what I would consider aligned and mostly flush with the doors.
I appreciate the suggestion of trying an approved body shop. Great idea even if I had to pay out of pocket. Thanks.

I think what you are describing is similar to what already exists elsewhere in the motor trade as a Pre-delivery Inspection and is carried out by the dealership before delivery. The PDI report is provided to the consumer to evidence the checks which have already been carried out.

The checklist on this forum is very useful for Tesla deliveries and in an ideal world would be embraced by Tesla as their own PDI, but we all know how much chance there is of that happening.

Whete is the check list on this forum? I’d really like to have it.,

the advice given in the original post, and all these countless posts about warranty work and bad QC, makes me think of the RV industry.

As soon as I read that, I knew exactly what you meant! We have an Airstream horror story for an entirely different forum that makes me sick to remember back on. We take delivery of our Y next week - I am just praying to the Tesla Gods that our experience doesn't even pale in comparison to our Airstream story. :eek:

tenor.gif

I just picked up in Dedham MA, and they adjusted the doors before acceptance without any complaint. It took a couple of hours so I came back the next day and took delivery. I had full access to the car to inspect it, and didn't feel rushed at all. Positive experience overall, except that the door alignment issues were so obvious you'd think they would have proactively fixed them. VIN 32xxx.

There is a slight wider gap between the fender and the passenger side headlight than on the other side which they were unable to improve much. I looked at 4 MYs in the lot and they all had the same mismatch.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung