Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning to take control immediately when I was not using AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other day my 3 suddenly started beeping at me and put up the warning to TAKE CONTROL IMMEDIATELY.

Only problem is, I wasn't using cruise control or Auto Pilot.

I was already in full control.

I have a feeling my sensors are defective. Hmmmm.
I get warnings like this and similar quite often.
The other day I started to leave the driveway and it said Cruise Control was not available because there was an object in the path.
But there was NOTHING in front of me.

grrr.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
If "the other day I started to leave the driveway and it said "cruise control was not available", that means it thought you were attempting to activate cruise control, and many times people do that by pulling on the gear shifter twice without quite realizing it (because the first time the car didnt notice it as it wasnt finished booting up or something).

Assuming you were not actually trying to activate cruise control in the driveway, that is... and in your driveway you mention "nothing was in front of you". Is your home not in front of your driveway?

======================

(moderator note: Edited thread title from "crazy warning" to something more descriptive of what happened per your description.)

Reactions: android04
The other day my 3 suddenly started beeping at me and put up the warning to TAKE CONTROL IMMEDIATELY.

Only problem is, I wasn't using cruise control or Auto Pilot.

I was already in full control.

There are a lot of things that can trigger this, such as drifting out of your lane or another car drifting in such a manner that it might be heading towards your lane. The car is just doing it's best to keep you safe.

The other day I started to leave the driveway and it said Cruise Control was not available because there was an object in the path.
But there was NOTHING in front of me.

Like @jjrandorin mentioned, this was most likely from pressing down on the stalk twice and the car just taking a moment to get caught up on all the commands. I know I have triggered this same warning a couple of times when I've been rushing things a bit with these same results.

Right. The warning should have said "departing lane, take control immediately". You can turn that off. It's very sensitive. Often hits me up when I'm swinging over the double yellow to go around a vehicle making a right turn.
Most of the time I hit it, is when it’s right. It’s often because I’m not using my blinker when I could or should. Happens a lot around toll booths where you might change lanes for a shorter line or to get back to the lane of choice where many folks might not use a blinker because people expect a bit of shuffling.

If "the other day I started to leave the driveway and it said "cruise control was not available", that means it thought you were attempting to activate cruise control, and many times people do that by pulling on the gear shifter twice without quite realizing it (because the first time the car didnt notice it as it wasnt finished booting up or something).

Assuming you were not actually trying to activate cruise control in the driveway, that is... and in your driveway you mention "nothing was in front of you". Is your home not in front of your driveway?

======================

(moderator note: Edited thread title from "crazy warning" to something more descriptive of what happened per your description.)
No, I was leaving the driveway and I back in because it is safer when pulling out. So the front of my car was pointed at the street and there were no vehicles in front of me.

This has happened to me twice this week. Less than 300 miles on the car and I get the "Take control immediately" when just cruising around town. One time was directly, into the setting sun going about 5 mph up to a stop sign and second time was just turning about to make a right turn (I was going about 15 mph).

I was never in TACC or AP. Just driving under full control. Is this a common occurrence? Something to be worried about? Or just dirty windows?