Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty Coverage on Read Windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI Everyone,

So today something very weird happened. While I was trying to mount my Thule rear trunk bike rack onto my Model S, in a moment that felt like a gentle snap of a finger, the rear windshield cracked at the top left. It happened so calmly and without any force that it almost seemed to defy physics. I just put the upper hooks on the crevice where they are supposed to go and I had just begun tightening them when *pop* the windshield cracked.

I want to find out what Tesla's warranty coverage is for repairing or replacing my rear windshield. It is disappointing to see that for one of the world's safest cars how ridiculously easily it was for the rear windshield to crack. It makes you think what would happen if this car were to actually go through an accident where it would actually suffer rear trunk impact. Based on a few things I have seen on my 2016 Tesla I can't say for sure that I am feeling very confident about their quality control tbh.

Does anyone have any perspective or experience with an incident such as this? Any idea on what this could cost if I were to pay out of pocket? Any help and guidance would be much appreciated. Just been that kind of a s*** day where all I wanted was a positive, happy Father's Day and instead I got a cracked windshield lol. Please help. Thank you in advance.

Bummer ... can you post a photo or diagram of where the crack started? Hope we can help with resolution :cool:

Hi there, thanks for the response. Here are a couple of pics. As a follow up question I wanted to ask that while Tesla takes their time to get back to me on the resolution and repair options, should I put like a packaging tape or a T-Rex tape or something heavy duty on it to prevent any water etc from seeping in or should I just leave it as is? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0526.JPG
    IMG_0526.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    462 KB · Views: 170
So the window cracked right where you were installing the clips of the bike rack? I'm not seeing how this is a warranty repair.

It wasn't something I was expecting, and it's unfortunate that it happened, but Tesla never promised it would work with clips stuck through the joint that I'm aware of..

I work in a big glass tube, where each 1/2" panel costs $250,000 ... you'd be surprised how easy it is to shatter glass if you apply just the right force. While there may have been a defect in the window, it's more likely that you just happened to find the right angle and force to crack it.

• Informative
Reactions: Tribaltech
So the window cracked right where you were installing the clips of the bike rack? I'm not seeing how this is a warranty repair.

It wasn't something I was expecting, and it's unfortunate that it happened, but Tesla never promised it would work with clips stuck through the joint that I'm aware of..
Mounting a bike rack is a pretty standard thing that anyone could be expected to do. Its a car, not a crystal wine glass. Regardless, I appreciate your response. It would be one thing if a metal object were to fall on this glass from a height or if someone were to use force to shatter this glass. But its an entirely other thing when you just hang a bike rack with NO bikes on it and the hooks haven't even been completely tightened and this happens. Anyway we shall see.

Bummer about the glass. Good to know i cant strap a bike rack to the back of my car. I was thinking of getting a clip on thule roof rack. Not sure that would actually work.
Yeah after my bizarre experience with this annoyingly fragile glass, I'd steer everyone clear of hanging a trunk rack on the Tesla. It's very unfortunate because this tells me that for us Model S owners the only other option is a $1,000 one where the hitch costs ~$400 and a good quality rack from Yakima or Thule costs another $500-$700. Who said owning a Tesla was cheap.

I'm surprised at your expectation that this is a Tesla issue or that the glass is overly fragile. Those bike rack straps are designed to engage on a metal frame, not on glass. When you tighten the strap, all of that pressure is focused on the clip, which is a very small area and creates an enormous amount of force/pressure (pounds per square inch) on that location. I've used bike racks like you describe but have never attached it to glass.

Seems to me that you used an after-market product that is not designed for use on a glass surface, over tightened it and it cracked the glass. Are you expecting Thule to reimburse you for the repair since their defective bike rack damaged your car? Saying that the Tesla is overly fragile given what you did to is strikes me as not quite accurate. It's like me saying a convertible's roof is overly fragile because I put a roof bike rack on it and it damaged the roof mechanism...but that roof bike rack is designed to go on any roof.

Reactions: mknox