Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty coverage suddenly changed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a used 2014 model s a few months ago that came with 2 year 100,000 mile used vehicle warranty. My account now says 4 year or 50,000 mile warranty. Anyone have this change in their account. Also have the change in wording about free supercharging for life of vehicle. Now just says free supercharging.

If that's indeed what happened, you hit the jackpot on the wannanty!
Mine is the 2 years up to 100k on the odo, whichever comes first.
In my case, I have had the car for 2 months, but will be out of warranty in 25k miles as I'm at 75k now.
The 4 year warranty is 50k miles from whatever your odo shows today.

It's nice to hear that they rolled something forward this time instead of taking it away.

The supercharging thing sounds more like them.

If that's indeed what happened, you hit the jackpot on the wannanty!
Mine is the 2 years up to 100k on the odo, whichever comes first.
In my case, I have had the car for 2 months, but will be out of warranty in 25k miles as I'm at 75k now.
The 4 year warranty is 50k miles from whatever your odo shows today.

It's nice to hear that they rolled something forward this time instead of taking it away.

The supercharging thing sounds more like them.
No, because I’m at 53,000 miles which would mean my warranty is now expired. When I should still have until March 2021

I just bought the car 2 months ago and this new UI looks different. I hope it means 4 years and 50k miles from when i bought it (June 2019, 49,000k).
fTPIqzE.png

are you sure it said 100k miles and not "UP TO" 100k miles.... whcih is what thy typically gave for used cars... the old warranty for used was 4 years 50k miles (added to the miles on the OD when you bought it) for instance my car had 28k miles on it, so the 4 year 50k miles went to 78k miles on the OD.... the "up to" 100k was the "new warranty" and many cars had 60-70k miles on them, so it sucked

If my understanding is correct it is 50k of warranty coverage from the odometer reading at time of purchase. So if you purchased it right at 50k your warranty would cover you until 100k or 4 years of time...whichever comes first.
There were two warranties which buyers were told which each particular car qualified for & agreed to terms at the time of purchase:

a) 4-year or 50k miles, whichever comes first. This was given to cars less than 5 years old with less than 50k showing on the odometer at the time of trade. It had to meet BOTH of these criteria otherwise it got...

b) 2-year or 100k showing on the odometer, whichever comes first.

My car (2016 S 90D) had 45k when I bought it.

I'm seeing that it has "new car" warranty (same as picture above).

By my understanding of the "used" car warranty, it would cover my car until June 2023 (4 years from purchase) or 95k miles (50k added miles).

My reading of my situation is that either tesla made a mistake in their new web UI or the "new" car warranty is in effect until it expires either when the car turns 4 or I hit 50k miles; at which point the "used" car warranty takes over.

Or perhaps tesla is in a more dire situation that we thought and they're attempting to escape these sorts of prior obligations.

Maybe Lancia will buy tesla and show them how to really do it?

If your warranty is the 4 year variety (assuming it was that way at time of purchase) it's not until 50k is showing on odo. It's 50k more than the mileage at purchase. So yeah, if you had 45k when you bought it AND it was less than 4 years old (pretty sure it's 4 and not 5 - original 4 year new warranty hadn't expired when you bought it) then it's good for 4 years (2023) or 95k miles - whichever comes first.

To OP
If they told you it was the 2 year warranty when you bought it and it now shows the 4 year warranty on your Tesla account, I would be very, VERY skeptical that it truly is the 4 year warranty. I agree with Osterichsak that they will eventually realize their mistake and change it back.

One lesson everyone who is buying anything Tesla should learn very quickly, always save screenshots of anything important, order details, specifications, feature descriptions, warranty details, etc. Tesla has developed a habit of changing things and then pretending it was like that before. They recently changed warranty coverage (e.g. not covering screens anymore - they are now wear and tear item like your tires), and transferable supercharging (Tesla is stripping supercharging from cars they do not own when they are sold, even the cars were sold with transferable supercharging attached to a car - they even changed the UI so it no longer tells you whether your free supercharging is transferable or not). Elon is taking "car salesman" reputation to a whole new level.

My car (2016 S 90D) had 45k when I bought it.

I'm seeing that it has "new car" warranty (same as picture above).

By my understanding of the "used" car warranty, it would cover my car until June 2023 (4 years from purchase) or 95k miles (50k added miles).

My reading of my situation is that either tesla made a mistake in their new web UI or the "new" car warranty is in effect until it expires either when the car turns 4 or I hit 50k miles; at which point the "used" car warranty takes over.

Or perhaps tesla is in a more dire situation that we thought and they're attempting to escape these sorts of prior obligations.

Maybe Lancia will buy tesla and show them how to really do it?
The 4/50 warranty shown in the photo is a new car warranty. The 4/50 "new car warranty" expires 50,000 miles or 4 years from the original mileage when purchased new. The CPO 4/50 is essentially four years or 50,000 additional miles from the time and miles the used car is purchased. The 2/100 CPO warranty is 2 years from date of purchase up till a total 100,000 on the odometer. All of theses arevwhichever comes first. Someone screwed up and is showing the original owners "new car" warranty which expired at 50,000 miles. You can access all the info in your Tesla app under you cars info and warranties.

There were two warranties which buyers were told which each particular car qualified for & agreed to terms at the time of purchase:

a) 4-year or 50k miles, whichever comes first. This was given to cars less than 5 years old with less than 50k showing on the odometer at the time of trade. It had to meet BOTH of these criteria otherwise it got...

b) 2-year or 100k showing on the odometer, whichever comes first.
was b for people who bought new ? say in 2017// 2018?

I purchased a used 2014 model s a few months ago that came with 2 year 100,000 mile used vehicle warranty. My account now says 4 year or 50,000 mile warranty. Anyone have this change in their account. Also have the change in wording about free supercharging for life of vehicle. Now just says free supercharging.
I just checked mine. Bought same timeframe. It has changed to 4 year 50k. I took pictures to dispute when they change it back lol

Something is going on with their website and app since this morning. All kinds of error. My annual free 400 kWh charging is gone also. and within my app, schedule appointment function is missing. dont' know what's going on with them.