Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty mileage for an Inventory car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find any definitive answers searching on here ... so hopefully someone has direct experience with this.

If you buy a New inventory car with, say, 5000 miles at delivery does the base warranty run out when the odometer reads 50,000 miles or 55,000 miles? I looked through my delivery paperwork but the language is not clear - it just says it's a 5-year, 50,000 mile warranty. Doesn't say specifically if those 50000 miles start at 0, or when you take delivery.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

Thanks in advance...

I couldn't find any definitive answers searching on here ... so hopefully someone has direct experience with this.

If you buy a New inventory car with, say, 5000 miles at delivery does the base warranty run out when the odometer reads 50,000 miles or 55,000 miles? I looked through my delivery paperwork but the language is not clear - it just says it's a 5-year, 50,000 mile warranty. Doesn't say specifically if those 50000 miles start at 0, or when you take delivery.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

Thanks in advance...
Edit: whoops, you are talking about new... I quoted CPO.

Edit x2: here is the new info:

From https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Model_S_X_Warranty_NA_en.pdf

This New Vehicle Limited Warranty begins on the first day a new vehicle is put into use by delivery to the first retail purchaser(s), or by leasing or registering as a company vehicle or demonstrator, whichever is earlier, and provides coverage for the period based on the specified warranty as described in the Warranty Coverage section of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

So the 50k is from delivery, not absolute.

@Krazaak is correct

CPO info: not what you asked for

Per https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model-s-preowned-warranty.pdf
Subject to separate coverage for certain parts and the exclusions and limitations described in this Pre-Owned Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for an incremental period of 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km) from the first day and at the mileage a Pre-Owned Vehicle is delivered to the first Pre-Owned purchaser, whichever comes first, irrespective of the expiration date or mileage of the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty specified in the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty for the Pre-Owned vehicle.

Basic Warranty is 4 years or 50,000 miles.

From the Manual - "
When Does the Warranty Period Begin and End?

This New Vehicle Limited Warranty begins on the first day a new vehicle is put into use by deliveryto the first retail purchaser(s), or by leasing or registering as a company
car or demonstrator,whichever is earlier, and provides coverage for the period based on the specified warranty asdescribed in the Warranty Coverage section of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty
"
The above tells me that the warranty has already started when it was put into service as a demo vehicle (as most Inventory vehicles are).

Basic Warranty is 4 years or 50,000 miles.

From the Manual - "
When Does the Warranty Period Begin and End?

This New Vehicle Limited Warranty begins on the first day a new vehicle is put into use by deliveryto the first retail purchaser(s), or by leasing or registering as a company
car or demonstrator,whichever is earlier, and provides coverage for the period based on the specified warranty asdescribed in the Warranty Coverage section of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty
"
The above tells me that the warranty has already started when it was put into service as a demo vehicle (as most Inventory vehicles are).

Oxford comma:eek:
or by leasing or registering as a company car or demonstrator
Is demonstrator part of the leasing or registering clause?

A leased or registered company car
or
A leased or registered demonstrator

versus

a leased or registered company car
or
a demonstrator

Tesla new inventory is not previously leased or registered, so I think that clause does not apply.

Edit: is it
This New Vehicle Limited Warranty begins on the first day a new vehicle is put into use by delivery to the first retail purchaser(s), or by (leasing or registering) as a (company vehicle or demonstrator),
Or
This New Vehicle Limited Warranty begins on the first day a new vehicle is put into use by delivery to the first retail purchaser(s), or by (leasing or registering as a company vehicle) or demonstrator,

Courts rule in favor of the contractee when ambiguity exists, so the better option for the buyer wins.
see: Lack of Oxford comma costs Maine dairy company $5 million

Reactions: Krazaak
So I think the referenced docs essentially say that in this case the warranty ends when the odometer is at 50000 miles ... (this particular car was used as a company car before being sold as inventory).

Ah well .... thanks all.

or

versus

or
a demonstrator

Tesla new inventory is not previously leased or registered, so I think that clause does not apply.

This car was in use as a company car, I would assume registered as such, so I'm guessing this is what they meant (i.e. warranty clock started ticking when the car got registered as a company car).

If they are representing the car to you as "new inventory" and you should be the first registered owner, then the warranty period starts on your delivery date and the mileage would be 50,000 plus whatever was on the odometer when you got the car. If they are selling it to you as a "used" vehicle, I would insist on getting the CPO warranty which essential does the same thing.

This car was in use as a company car, I would assume registered as such, so I'm guessing this is what they meant (i.e. warranty clock started ticking when the car got registered as a company car).

Liek @Jashev is saying
If you are talking about new inventory from Tesla, it was never registered, otherwise you could not get the federal tax credit.
If you are talking CPO, it is definitely incremental.

Liek @Jashev is saying
If you are talking about new inventory from Tesla, it was never registered, otherwise you could not get the federal tax credit.
If you are talking CPO, it is definitely incremental.
This is true. I was looking at my paperwork, There was disclosure statement saying it was a demo but never registered. So, the begining date will the date of delivery..So the miles should start on delivery as well..

Interesting ... in this case I do happen to know it was in use by an executive, but it was definitely sold as "New" on the paperwork. Since it was a lease to us we didn't get the $7500 federal tax credit, but my understanding is that was effectively rolled into the lease calculations, so I believe this car effectively got the tax credit at the time when we took delivery. That makes sense, although the verbiage about:

"begins on the first day a new vehicle is put into use by delivery to the first retail purchaser(s), or by leasing or registering as a company vehicle"

.... seems to indicate it might have started when they put it into service...

Maybe I'll ask when I go into the SC next time and see what they say...

Interesting ... in this case I do happen to know it was in use by an executive, but it was definitely sold as "New" on the paperwork. Since it was a lease to us we didn't get the $7500 federal tax credit, but my understanding is that was effectively rolled into the lease calculations, so I believe this car effectively got the tax credit at the time when we took delivery. That makes sense, although the verbiage about:

"begins on the first day a new vehicle is put into use by delivery to the first retail purchaser(s), or by leasing or registering as a company vehicle"

.... seems to indicate it might have started when they put it into service...

Maybe I'll ask when I go into the SC next time and see what they say...

Yeah, there is some ambiguity there (I still lean toward not put into use by first retail purchaser (you), not registered and not leased being the key items), but that works to your favor per the Maine case I tacked onto post #6.

or

versus

or
a demonstrator

Edit: is it
This New Vehicle Limited Warranty begins on the first day a new vehicle is put into use by delivery to the first retail purchaser(s), or by (leasing or registering) as a (company vehicle or demonstrator),
Or
This New Vehicle Limited Warranty begins on the first day a new vehicle is put into use by delivery to the first retail purchaser(s), or by (leasing or registering as a company vehicle) or demonstrator,

Courts rule in favor of the contractee when ambiguity exists, so the better option for the buyer wins.
see: Lack of Oxford comma costs Maine dairy company $5 million
I believe the oxford comma is there before the first or. Meaning it should be interpreted as delivery to the first retail purchaser or first company registration or lease. Inventory cars have not been registered.

Since I’ve read the same warranty clause, I’ve made a point of asking people in various roles at the SC. All have said that since I was the first registered owner, the warranty was 4/50 from my puchase date and delivery mileage.

Good to know - thanks. Despite all the legal mumbo-jumbo and confusion, all that really matters is what the SC thinks (at least to first order) . hopefully that's a consistent understanding across the company.....