Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty reset?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a new rear motor yesterday.
I asked service center manager if my 8 yr warranty was reset on motor since it was a factory install?
R U ready? ""I have no clue, no one ever asked that question""
Do any of you know the answer?
OR ,
Seen it in writing?
I reckon this question applies the battery pack, while I'm asking?
And service guy told me the motor came with new differential? Is that true?

Generally, a replaced part gets its own warranty, unless covered by the overall car warranty. But a replaced part doesn't impact the vehicles warranty. If you were to replace a rear motor at 7 years, you won't get to replace the front motor at 14 years. Actually the rear motor warranty may only be a few months.

I got a new rear motor yesterday.
I asked service center manager if my 8 yr warranty was reset on motor since it was a factory install?
R U ready? ""I have no clue, no one ever asked that question""
Do any of you know the answer?
OR ,
Seen it in writing?
I reckon this question applies the battery pack, while I'm asking?
And service guy told me the motor came with new differential? Is that true?
The warranty is only good from 8 years or infinite miles on the battery and drive unit from the day you bought.

That's if you purchased a new drive unit, not if it was replaced under warranty

little background verbiage from warranty:

Any Parts repaired or replaced under the Tesla New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Tesla Used Vehicle Limited Warranty, or an active Tesla Service Plan is covered for the duration of that applicable warranty or plan, and does not extend beyond that duration.

Markb1, my car was built jan 2013, it has 132k miles. So the warranty you mentioned is for car stuff, not battery and drive train.

They installed a new factory drive unit. It should have a new factory warranty, right?

The warranty I mentioned is specifically for replacement parts, including the battery and drive unit. (The 4 year / 50,000 mile limitation is specific to the drive unit and battery. Other replacement parts are warrantied for less time.)

But as @Lukez points out, the replacement parts warranty is for “purchased” parts, and you didn’t purchase your new drive unit, so it may not apply.

I’m surprised this gets asked so many times. Warranties don’t work that way. You are warranted for 8 years from when the vehicle was put in service. It doesn’t matter if your drive unit was replaced once, 20 times, on day one or on day 8 years minus one.

With the one exception that warranty replacements typicallly have a minimum warranty of their own, usually 12 months. So if you have a drive unit replaced the day before your 8 year warranty expires, that part likely has its own warranty of 12 months. That’s quite common and what was relayed to me when my MCU screen was replaced shortly before the expiration of my 50k warranty.

I’m surprised this gets asked so many times. Warranties don’t work that way. You are warranted for 8 years from when the vehicle was put in service. It doesn’t matter if your drive unit was replaced once, 20 times, on day one or on day 8 years minus one.

With the one exception that warranty replacements typicallly have a minimum warranty of their own, usually 12 months. So if you have a drive unit replaced the day before your 8 year warranty expires, that part likely has its own warranty of 12 months. That’s quite common and what was relayed to me when my MCU screen was replaced shortly before the expiration of my 50k warranty.

Agreed.

Did you notice on the warranty page that the mcu appears to have 4 year warranty after replacement if you purchased the replacement mcu? I am wondering if I am misunderstanding it, since I was told mine new replacement has 1 year 12000 Mile warranty.
The wording says 4 years and no miles?
This is what to says...
The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the part(s), and coverage extends for a period of 12 months. Specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods:

• Sheet metal: Limited lifetime
  • Drive Unit: 4 years or 80,000 km, whichever comes first
  • Vehicle High Voltage Battery: 4 years or 80,000 km, whichever comes first
  • Wall Connectors: 4 years
  • Touchscreen and microcontroller unit: 4 years
For details, please review the Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty policy.

...replaced the day...

So before the original warranty expires, a part is replaced which extends the warranty for another 12 months: replace #1.

And before that 12 months is up, that part is replaced one day before: replace#2.

Then, another 12 months will pass by, that part is replaced again: replace#3...

That's an orignial warranty becomes perpetual 12 month warranty that keeps going.

That makes no sense at all!

A warranty has to end some point in time.

And after that, owner has to pay to get a purchased part warranty which can be forever as long as you continue to pay forever.

Reactions: Russell
So before the original warranty expires, a part is replaced which extends the warranty for another 12 months: replace #1.

And before that 12 months is up, that part is replaced one day before: replace#2.

Then, another 12 months will pass by, that part is replaced again: replace#3...

That's an orignial warranty becomes perpetual 12 month warranty that keeps going.

That makes no sense at all!

A warranty has to end some point in time.

And after that, owner has to pay to get a purchased part warranty which can be forever as long as you continue to pay forever.

I've never heard of a specific piece/part being replaced 3 times in less than 12 month intervals. Even the door handles last more than 12 month each. So in that sense yes there is some kind of added warranty but never a 4 or 8 year reset like the op is asking about.