Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty start date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joshhidley

Supporting Member
Nov 23, 2022
California
I’m looking at a used 2019 MS and wondering how much longer the warranty has time-wise. It’s a dealership, so I have no contact w the previous owner.

From the carfax registration dates, it looks like maybe a couple months? Or maybe till May of next year? What do you guys think?

It has 31k miles, so that’s not really a factor.

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpeg
    IMG_0132.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 111
Yeah, since the first record says ”Dealer took title of this vehicle while it was in inventory” I was thinking maybe that date didn’t count.

If it was a Tesla dealership demo car, would that date count?

Is there any way to tell if it was a Tesla dealership? It does say Fremont.

Hi @joshhidley ,

Great question! Since you would be purchasing from a 3rd party dealer there is no official way to know via CarFax. An unassuring feeling for sure.

But that is where XCare can help! We go above and beyond the original Tesla warranty to keep your vehicle on the road for years to come and enjoying that EV life!

Visit us at www.xcelerateauto.com/xcare to learn more!

Simply enter the vehicle details for an instant, pressure free quote and purchase in seconds if you like what you see.

-Team XCare

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Unless the car was a demo car, I'm suspect of the dates being that far apart. But the warranty is usually from the original purchaser's purchase date.
For Tesla the warranty starts when the vehicle is first put into service. Which would include it being used as a demo/loaner vehicle. Given it had 260 miles of it when the title was first issued, it was likely put into service before 10/22/2019.

Here are the current warranty terms, they might have been slightly different in 2019:
1695326230696.png
'

Archive.org has a copy of the warranty from February 2019, and the terms look the same:
1695326368656.png

That is false. Buying from a 3rd party dealer does not void the factory warranty. (It would void a Tesla issued Extended Service Agreement, but that isn't what they are asking about here.)
In some instances it can. Depending on where this car came from and if it was properly acquired by said 3rd party dealer. But in an case that is correct about the ESA. Just knowing that vehicle is close to the end of its factory coverage we may be of assistance...

Last edited:
Reactions: joshhidley
I've never heard of buying from a 3rd party dealer voiding the factory warranty.
This Carvana page claims that US federal law requires original manufacturer warranties on motor vehicles to be associated with the VIN, not the owner, and fully transferable.

This has always been my understanding as well, though I can find no actual federal code to substantiate it (I didn’t look particularly hard).

The only instance I’m aware of where new car warranty terms change for subsequent owners is the “10 year 100,000 mile” powertrain warranty that Hyundai/Kia is (was?) famous for. That benefit is for the original owner only - subsequent owners are bumped down to a 5 year 50k. Though it’s worth stating that the powertrain warranty is a completely separate benefit covered under different terms and conditions than the regular new vehicle limited warranty.